Kifaru pack setup?

GMO44

FNG
I purchased my first duplex frame and now I am looking for a cheap pack setup for up to a 5 day hunt. Does anyone use just a cargo panel with pouches? Any input is helpful. Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oldgoat

WKR
Yes people do, you will want a dry bag and a lid to make it work conveniently in my opinion, dry bag at a minimum then watch classifieds for a deal on a lid. My wife used this setup year before last, didn't have a lid for her and I think it would have worked so much better with a lid and less pockets.

wyelkhunter

Lil-Rokslider
when I first had my kifaru I used 2 UL long pockets, medium pod(I think that is what it was called, and a dry bag. worked great for a few years

mmccolloch

Lil-Rokslider
I would say either find a deal on a used bag in the classifieds, or just save your money and buy a mid sized bag from kifaru. Depending on the usage, the markhor would be a legit option. With a cargo panel, by the time you add the dry bag, lid, and a couple of belt pouches, you're getting close to the same cost as a mountain warrior or a reckoning. That's just my opinion.

Pierrebuiltknives

Lil-Rokslider
Here is a 35$ 55lt OR drybag from kifaru, a 50lt multicam bag I made for 20$ under a DIY cargo net. I really like a drybag, net and small bag combo.

Bonus carrying

This is with a drybag and my old shit REI day pack. 5.5lbs between the frame, drybag, net and rei green thing. Not bad

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
That thing looks Awesome!

That would be a great option, but if he is not a DIY guy, the cost of that setup may be prohibitive depending on his budget.
That's true but it was exactly what he asked for in his original post. A normal large dry bag would also work.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Xtreme007

WKR
Its not exactly what you asked but if your looking for a cheap bag for your frame I would keep my eye open for a high camp.

Kifaru has discontinued them now but I see them in the classifieds for $100 from time to time.
They made 2 sizes HC 7000 and I think a HC4700

OP
G

GMO44

FNG
Its not exactly what you asked but if your looking for a cheap bag for your frame I would keep my eye open for a high camp.

Kifaru has discontinued them now but I see them in the classifieds for $100 from time to time.
They made 2 sizes HC 7000 and I think a HC4700

I guess that's more of an answer I am looking for. I am not dead set on a cargo panel setup, I am just looking for an inexpensive and effective pack setup for 5-7 days. Thank you.

RCR

Lil-Rokslider
I've run a CP and nomad with a dry bag, and now Highcamp 7000 modified with a center zip. I ran a guide lid and a couple pockets with both the nomad and CO. Ultimately I favor the large bag with 1-2 pockets. It is easier to access and I can fit 3-5 days gear easy without a lid.

dotman

WKR
Depends on your definition of cheap, Kifaru has the Markhor in the Rhino Den

I would go with this, by the time you piece together a cargo panel, pockets and dry bag this would be cheaper even if bought used.

I'm in the used/discounted simple pack mindset as well. My dad's Highcamp 4800 is perfect for him, and should suit most people well for a 5-day hunt. My Argali is budget-friendly as well, but probably overkill on size. The Markhor in the Rhino Den would be tempting. Find a used Guide lid, and you'd have a good start on a versatile setup. Good luck!

E in CO

Lil-Rokslider
I run the CP on Duplex with 2 medium and 2 large belt pouches attached on the inside and outside of the CP. I also run a large side pocket against the frame. This never changes but what I do change is the duffel bag I use for whatever else I need for the trip. I have a bunch of cheap duffels of different sizes to match the trip (full camp, day trips, etc.) and stuff them between the CP and Duplex. Anything that really needs to stay dry (which isn't much) goes inside a trash bag inside the duffel. The CP and pockets aren't cheap but my duffel bags and trash bags are! I see a bunch of guys talking about the Camp Bag and Dry Bags but not my cheap duffel bag approach. It seems to work for me so far.

ScottinPA

WKR
I have parts n pieces to do something like this but haven't put it on the frame yet.
Cargo panel from Jimmy Tarps
Lid from Pods8
hydration pouch from ebay (pals attach to cargo panel)
Army issue sustainment pouch from ebay

Should make a great day hunt setup. Substitute a dry bag fro the sustainment pouch and you should be good for a few days.

I think the right answer to that is "it depends." :)

Have you made a gear/food list for your trip? That was hugely beneficial for me when deciding on the pack setup. I updated the spreadsheet multiple times, and I'm sure it adjusts after every trip out. It helped me move from the world of ideas to the world of requirements.

For me, the deciding factor with Kifaru is just the sheer number of options. You could roll a Markhor for a 3-5 day trip with general ease, then bolt on a couple external pouches/pockets for longer trips. For roughly $100 retail, you could grab two medium side pockets and a spotting scope pocket that would add 1,700 cubic inches to your setup. Or a Guide Lid and a couple belt pouches. There are tons of options.

One other thing to consider with the lightweight packs (Tahr, Markhor, Argali) is that they're just one big bag. If you're cramming 7 days worth of food and gear in there, plus a hydration bladder, you want to be sure you're cool with digging around and have a plan for pack-in/out vs. day hunting. For what it's worth, my gigantor Argali compresses down to almost nothing, so any of those packs will be comfortable for climbing around.

Hope that helps.