Kifaru packs and bear hunting

lkwoolsey

WKR
Ok, so, for a while, I really didn't care for Kifaru packs (keep in mind it was the price I didn't care for, not the quality. Also, I didn't have the opportunity to play with one til I bought one.) But, after breaking one "hunting" pack, and another actual hunting pack in less than a year, I decided I would give it a shot, so I broke down and bought a Kifaru EMR2 with the hunting duplex frame, along with the XTL lid. Being the gear nerd that I am, I was just excited to be able to get a new piece of gear.
It came in the mail last Monday. I quickly figured where all my gear was going to be packed, and I got ready for a bear hunt on Wednesday through Friday.
I planned on going solo, to a place I had seen bears years ago but hadn't been back to since (I just moved back to WA state a couple of weeks ago and hadn't had a chance to scout.)
I left my truck Wednesday morning at around 10, and hiked in a few miles, probably around 4ish, found a huge bowl filled with blueberries on 45-60 degree slopes. I sat down on my pack, pulled out my binos, and the first thing I see was a good sized bear. I watched for a while, and no cubs, so I decided, I'd get in some stalking. I ranged her at close to 700 yards, and I wanted to get to 200. It was more of a stumble than a stalk, as the steep slopes I was working across had the worst kind of brush, knee high, concealing all sorts of holes and short drops. After much stumbling and grumbling, I reached a point that I judged to be a couple hundred yards out. I dropped my pack, and in doing so spooked a 6 point blacktail. I thought I was had, but the bear just looked at the blacktail and paid no mind to me at all. So I threw my trekking poles together and set up for a shot at 197 yards. BOOM. And down goes the bear. And I mean down. Rolling. Down the hill. Even further. So I throw my rifle on my pack, and begin picking my way down. When I got close to where I knew he stopped, I dropped my pack and pulled my rifle back out, just in case. Now, I was by myself, and this was my first bear hunt. So I put another round in him. I know it was probably not necessary, but it certainly gave me some peace of mind. Fast forward to the pack out. I finished quartering and loaded up the game bags in a dry sack that I use inside my pack. I loaded my new EMR2 with my gear in the wing pockets, minus my sleeping bag and pad, along with my possible pouch, in the bottom of the pack. The bear went on top. And my tent sat on top of everything else.
The pack was so heavy that I had to sit on the ground and buckle it on to get it up. I had about 30 to 40 pounds of gear, and my meat weight was just shy of 100#'s. So right around 130-140 or so. And the pack felt like a champ!!! I was crossing knife edge ridges and working up very steep, slippery slopes (it had started raining as soon as I made my first cut.)
I have never worn a pack so comfortable. I have tried packs for years that all claimed to be capable of carrying "weight." This is the first one that can back up that claim. It is simply amazing. Never once did it feel like it was buckling or shifting, and all the straps stayed locked in place. The hip belt was awesome!!! I can't say enough good things about it. I am sold. I will never buy another pack, other than Kifaru. It made the trip possible.
So, long story short, I will always try to sell people on Kifaru. It is a well made, quality product. And its made in the US, which is nice. Customer service was amazing. I talked to Aron, as well as two other reps who all made the process super easy, and kept me informed the whole way. Well worth the wait time.
Archery season for elk opens in 8 days. And with some luck, the EMR2 will be loaded down again, with some more heavy weight and great experiences.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Awesome. They are tip of the sword in my opinion. We did this with a 6' 11" 330 lb full black bear in Alaska with the duplex and EMR 2. Not many frames can handle this, that's for sure. Plus just the thought into bag configurations and layouts. They are awesome.
43d34f07e2e0197c413f393187a1c15c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
lkwoolsey

lkwoolsey

WKR
That is awesome!!! Nice looking bear! Yeah, that pack is just limitless when it comes to possible configurations! Just a solid, well designed pack!