Kifaru quilt

state637

WKR
Does anyone have any field experience with the Kifaru quilt? Picked one up for Christmas and was curious about the good, the bad and the ugly.

OP
state637

state637

WKR
Well not exactly into the Michigan winter camping but it will be used for an elk hunt this fall.

Wiscgunner

Lil-Rokslider
I usually use a sleeping bag as a quilt because I am a side sleeper but tent to toss around a lot at night. I just ordered a Kifaru Bak Country Body Bag to use a quilt sleeping or zip up for glassing/extra cold nights. Should drop into the mid 20's this weekend here in WI so hoping to try it out. Looked at the Quilt as well. Interested in how you like it if you get a chance to test it out.

reaper

WKR
I usually use a sleeping bag as a quilt because I am a side sleeper but tent to toss around a lot at night. I just ordered a Kifaru Bak Country Body Bag to use a quilt sleeping or zip up for glassing/extra cold nights. Should drop into the mid 20's this weekend here in WI so hoping to try it out. Looked at the Quilt as well. Interested in how you like it if you get a chance to test it out.
Please let us know what you think of the bodybag when you get some uses with it.

Envoyé de mon Pixel 2 en utilisant Tapatalk

Wiscgunner

Lil-Rokslider
I am unfortunately sending it back. I tested it out the other night at 25* and it was warmer as a quilt than as a bag because it was just too small for me. Even with all my layers on invluding apex pants it was cold. I believe mainly due to the compression of the insulation at the tight spots.

I move a lot in my sleep and can’t stand sleeping in a straight jacket. The actual width after sewing is smaller than construction width and my elbow girth measures 67” but the bag tapers straight from a construction 70” (usable 60”) to the toe width. Plenty of room in the legs and foot area. Very well constructed!

Didn’t care for the stuff sack/pillow in quilt mode but in bad mode I stored a spare puffy in it which help keep my Nemo Filo pillow from sliding away.

I am sure it would be much warmer/comfortable for a skinnier person who sleeps on their back (I am 6'1" and 250lbs).

I would definitely buy another one if I shrunk or they came out with an x-wide.

Last edited:

ErikM

FNG
Thanks for posting that review. For reference on fit and dimensions, what is your height and weight?

Charon

Lil-Rokslider
Rhino skin is a high tenacity 30D, whereas EE quilts are 20 or 10D. Nonetheless, I too was shocked when I got the email and saw the price. That's a lot of coin essentially to add a zipper to a Woobie. If you don't plan to drag it through a thicket I think Enlightened Equipment is the way to go (and I say that as a long time fan of Kifaru).

Wiscgunner

Lil-Rokslider
Rhino skin is a high tenacity 30D, whereas EE quilts are 20 or 10D. Nonetheless, I too was shocked when I got the email and saw the price. That's a lot of coin essentially to add a zipper to a Woobie. If you don't plan to drag it through a thicket I think Enlightened Equipment is the way to go (and I say that as a long time fan of Kifaru).
I really like the quality of the product and did not mind the price. The fit was just too small for me.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I used both the body bag and quilt this year. I didn’t think I’d be a quilt fan but I love that thing. It’s warmer than the body bag for sure. I used the BB I’m Colorado late August and got kinda cold and drafty in a 3 season tent. The zippers are not lined, it’s definitely a summer bag or a zippered Woobie that you can glass with and such. I used the quilt down to low 20’s with a Big Agnes Q core SLX pad with really good luck. Much better than I thought.

I was going to get a 20 degree slick after I used the body bag, but now I’ll keep the quilt and have my 0 degree slick for when it’s chilly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you don't plan to drag it through a thicket I think Enlightened Equipment is the way to go (and I say that as a long time fan of Kifaru).

Especially with apex. If you tear the shell it's not like it will pour out insulation like down. Tape and continue.

reaper

WKR
I used both the body bag and quilt this year. I didn’t think I’d be a quilt fan but I love that thing. It’s warmer than the body bag for sure. I used the BB I’m Colorado late August and got kinda cold and drafty in a 3 season tent. The zippers are not lined, it’s definitely a summer bag or a zippered Woobie that you can glass with and such. I used the quilt down to low 20’s with a Big Agnes Q core SLX pad with really good luck. Much better than I thought.

I was going to get a 20 degree slick after I used the body bag, but now I’ll keep the quilt and have my 0 degree slick for when it’s chilly.

Please Jordan do a review video on the quilt and body bag,sizes,compressibility ect...

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Please Jordan do a review video on the quilt and body bag,sizes,compressibility ect...

Hey guys, haven’t been able to do a video review lately. But wanted to get some info out to you so here’s a photo of the quilt (left) and body bag (right).
4edb700fc894db0dcbf555c777f29f7f.jpg

I used the Body Bag in Wyoming and Colorado this year. Wyoming was a summer scouting trip and Colorado was a mule deer trip the last week of August. The bag does get drafty in cooler weather because the zippers aren’t baffled (I think that’s the right term). I asked Kifaru and they told me they didn’t baffle the zipper because they wanted to save weight and it was only meant to be used as a summer bag or a zippered woobie. I will say if I were using a 4 season tent, I would have gotten along better with the Body Bag in Colorado but with the 3 season tent it would get drafty. I wouldn’t recommend for the high country after mid September. You could always sleep with more clothing on and get away with it though. I’m a fairly cold sleeper.

I used the quilt in Wyoming mid-late September. I was hesitant about the quilt but I wanted to give it a shot before I got a 20 degree slick bag. I used the quilt with a big Agnes q core SLX and an exped synmat 7 with temperatures in the low 20’s and was comfortable. I slept with a fleece layer, socks and FL merino bottoms on and was comfortable. One night it dropped into the mid teens and my feet started to get chilled. The footbox is roomy and the bungy cords that go around the pad are placed well and seem to tighten up nice for a good seal. I’m super happy with the quilt and my sleep system will now be the Quilt for the majority of scouting and high country hunting trips. Then I’ll have the 0 degree slick bag for colder weather and base camp trips.

reaper

WKR
Hey guys, haven’t been able to do a video review lately. But wanted to get some info out to you so here’s a photo of the quilt (left) and body bag (right).
4edb700fc894db0dcbf555c777f29f7f.jpg

I used the Body Bag in Wyoming and Colorado this year. Wyoming was a summer scouting trip and Colorado was a mule deer trip the last week of August. The bag does get drafty in cooler weather because the zippers aren’t baffled (I think that’s the right term). I asked Kifaru and they told me they didn’t baffle the zipper because they wanted to save weight and it was only meant to be used as a summer bag or a zippered woobie. I will say if I were using a 4 season tent, I would have gotten along better with the Body Bag in Colorado but with the 3 season tent it would get drafty. I wouldn’t recommend for the high country after mid September. You could always sleep with more clothing on and get away with it though. I’m a fairly cold sleeper.

I used the quilt in Wyoming mid-late September. I was hesitant about the quilt but I wanted to give it a shot before I got a 20 degree slick bag. I used the quilt with a big Agnes q core SLX and an exped synmat 7 with temperatures in the low 20’s and was comfortable. I slept with a fleece layer, socks and FL merino bottoms on and was comfortable. One night it dropped into the mid teens and my feet started to get chilled. The footbox is roomy and the bungy cords that go around the pad are placed well and seem to tighten up nice for a good seal. I’m super happy with the quilt and my sleep system will now be the Quilt for the majority of scouting and high country hunting trips. Then I’ll have the 0 degree slick bag for colder weather and base camp trips.

Thanks a lot for the review Jordan

reaper

WKR

Hey Jordan i forgot to ask you about how the quilt pack down,any pictures??Its my priority since i am only using my kifaru 14'r now.

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
asdew04