Kifaru Reckoning And Frame Question

cambo0420

Lil-Rokslider
Hey everyone been in the market for a pack for awhile and think I finally decided on the Kifaru. Been trying to get a hold of Kifaru but can’t seem to get anyone on the phone so I thought this is the next best place. My sister is getting me a 1000$ Kifaru gift card for my birthday. I’ve been using a Mystery Ranch Metcalf but the pack is so uncomfortable. My hip flexors are constantly hurting under load. All my research led me to the Stone Glacier Sky Archer 6400 and the Kifaru Reckoning and all the torture testing sold me on Kifaru as well as their gear videos and customer service. So the pack I decided on is the Reckoning pack it seems the best for anything from 1-10 days and the design seems awesome. The frame is where I’m having a little more trouble. I watched Arons video on how to pick the hunter or tac frame and decided on the hunter frame since I don’t haul odd weird items only use it for camp and meat but now I see there are 2 hunter options the 1/16 and the 1/8 inch thick sheet I’m
Not sure which I should get. Which should I get? Which frame, pack and accessories are you running? Also my back is pretty curved but does anyone use the aluminum with a curved back? Seems like it would be stronger but what do I know. I also want to get the waterproof Daylid. So frame bag and Daylid will cost around 850 after tax. Also I’m 6 feet tall do I get 24 or 26 inch stays? Any other info on Kifaru would be great. Also anyone who has upgraded from stone glacier to Kifaru and why they did and why they like the Kifaru more? Also what attachment options should I run? I like the gun bearer and will get hip belt pockets but what others do you recommend. Thanks for all the help and reading this mini essay.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Kifaru had to shut down for a few weeks because of this virus thing but they will open up soon. The reckoning is a great bag.

mid personally get the lite frame vs the ultra lite,the ultra lite is only 2oz lighter and has fewer attachment points.

BAKPAKR

WKR
I have a Reckoning bag on a tactical frame. That frame, with either the Reckoning bag or the Woodsman bag, has worked well for me in daypack mode the last couple of years. Of course, I have not experienced the comfort of the lite or ultralite frames. The tactical frame sure is nice when you have a heavy load.

I use a small pocket and a gunbearer on the hipbelt, a medium pocket on the side, and a guide lid. I also carry a 55 liter dry sack to use on the load shelf, just in case I get lucky. If you do some looking through the pack forum, you will see photos of all sorts of set-ups.

I’m 6’0 and have the normal hunter 26 inch frame with a reckoning. I have a Guide Lid that I run all the time and a Grab It I used on an 8 day November pack in hunt for a little more room. I love the set up and was a big upgrade over the mystery ranch Marshall I had previously. It worked great with some 80-90 pound loads (which is about my max, I’m 170ish pounds). The kifaru waist belt is phenomenal. Doesn’t slip. You should love that set up. Let me know if you have any other questions as I was in your shoes about a year ago wondering the same thing about kifaru packs.

ND_muley

Lil-Rokslider
My reckoning is on a 26" lite frame and I couldnt be happier. I use it on day hunts to 7 day backpack hunts. 3 of the small belt pouches also fit perfectly across the bottom which is handy for keeping items accessible. You wont be disappointed.

I had a reckoning on a 26 inch frame. Nice rig but never fit me as well as my MR NICE frame so I am back to MR. Personal preference...

If you have a round or muscular upper back, look into the aluminum frames. I never got that far into it, but I think that getting aluminum frames and adding a bend might have helped my comfort level.

OP
C

cambo0420

Lil-Rokslider
Wh
I’m 6’0 and have the normal hunter 26 inch frame with a reckoning. I have a Guide Lid that I run all the time and a Grab It I used on an 8 day November pack in hunt for a little more room. I love the set up and was a big upgrade over the mystery ranch Marshall I had previously. It worked great with some 80-90 pound loads (which is about my max, I’m 170ish pounds). The kifaru waist belt is phenomenal. Doesn’t slip. You should love that set up. Let me know if you have any other questions as I was in your shoes about a year ago wondering the same thing about kifaru packs.
whats your torso? I’m 6 with a 34 inch waist and 34 inch inseam and Aaron said to get the 24 inch frame that 26 may actually be less comfortable because of load angle, also getting curved composite since my backs real curved so I’ll save weight there

Wh

whats your torso? I’m 6 with a 34 inch waist and 34 inch inseam and Aaron said to get the 24 inch frame that 26 may actually be less comfortable because of load angle, also getting curved composite since my backs real curved so I’ll save weight there
I would listen to the master Aaron. But I’m 6 foot 175 pounds and the 26 works great for me.

rbljack

WKR
I run the reckoning on an older model duplex frame. I have enjoyed the bag layout and the add ons. I run the guide lid with it, a medium belt pouch on each side of the belt with JC kydex holster behind it for my glock 29, and the gunbearer system holds my rifle when actually hunting.. I also have the Nalgene water bottle/holder on the belt. I added medium belt pouches at the lower attachment points of the bag. One holds my first aid kit, and one is for either water filtration and TP or can be center mounted to hold the stock of my gun when not being carried in the gun bearer. its worked well for me so far.

10ringer

WKR
I have a curvy back and find the light frame (1/8) to fit like a glove with the composite stays. Torso length will matter more than height when deciding on 24 or 26. I have 17.5 inch torso and the 24” is just right. My buddy is 18.5 torso / 5-10” height and my 24” frame would work but looks a shade small. He would have better load lift with a 26” frame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bsnedeker

WKR
When I moved to Kifaru I bought a 26 inch frame with a Crater bag with a standard guide lid and medium belt pouch on the back. I'm 6'2 with a very flat back. Here is what I found:

1. Crater has a side zip entrance and a spotting scope pocket. I never used either. I keep all of the stuff I'm using regularly either in the guide lid, or at the top of the pack. When I stopped I grabbed what I needed out of the guide lid, flipped it over the frame, and got whatever I needed out of the pack through the snow collar. So for me all the extra zippers and pocket were just extra weight I didn't need. I sold the crater and bought a used Argali and it's perfect for me (classic "garbage bag with straps" design). In general I'm not a very organized person so having all that extra organization in the pack wasn't worth it. If you're like me you may find the same thing with the reckoning. If you like having a specific spot for everything then this won't apply to you.

2. At 6'2 the 26-inch frame was the right size for me, but it was a pain in the butt whenever I needed to crawl through brush. Those extra 2-inches sticking up were constantly causing me problems. I "downgraded" to the 24" frame and find that, even when I load it up with a bunch of weight, it seems to carry about the same.

Everyone is different, so of course your mileage may vary.

You hit the jackpot with that sister of yours, by the way! You must have been REALLY nice to her when you were little!

Go with the lite frame(1/8"), and make sure you get hold of Kifaru to ask about the correct stay length. It's all based on your torso measurements. I have the Reckoning on the older duplex frame. It's been fantastic.

Call them and talk to them. Everyone on here is super helpful but Kifaru customer service is top notch. They will hold your hand through every single question and make sure you’re dialed to a T. I was in the same boat last week, called Aron Snyder directly, talked to him for 15 minutes, got every single question answered (even the ones I felt were stupid he took the time to answer) and I feel 110% confident in what will be coming to me whenever the country starts working again. Calling them is not wasted time

Hey everyone been in the market for a pack for awhile and think I finally decided on the Kifaru. Been trying to get a hold of Kifaru but can’t seem to get anyone on the phone so I thought this is the next best place. My sister is getting me a 1000$ Kifaru gift card for my birthday. I’ve been using a Mystery Ranch Metcalf but the pack is so uncomfortable. My hip flexors are constantly hurting under load. All my research led me to the Stone Glacier Sky Archer 6400 and the Kifaru Reckoning and all the torture testing sold me on Kifaru as well as their gear videos and customer service. So the pack I decided on is the Reckoning pack it seems the best for anything from 1-10 days and the design seems awesome. The frame is where I’m having a little more trouble. I watched Arons video on how to pick the hunter or tac frame and decided on the hunter frame since I don’t haul odd weird items only use it for camp and meat but now I see there are 2 hunter options the 1/16 and the 1/8 inch thick sheet I’m
Not sure which I should get. Which should I get? Which frame, pack and accessories are you running? Also my back is pretty curved but does anyone use the aluminum with a curved back? Seems like it would be stronger but what do I know. I also want to get the waterproof Daylid. So frame bag and Daylid will cost around 850 after tax. Also I’m 6 feet tall do I get 24 or 26 inch stays? Any other info on Kifaru would be great. Also anyone who has upgraded from stone glacier to Kifaru and why they did and why they like the Kifaru more? Also what attachment options should I run? I like the gun bearer and will get hip belt pockets but what others do you recommend. Thanks for all the help and reading this mini essay.
I certainly don't think you would regret a kifaru, but if your MR is hurting your hip flexors under load, it may be a fitment issue and not the pack.

when I have had that pain, it was from the frame not being adjusted right

Do the Kifaru belts have adjustable lumbar pads? Can you add/delete how much padding in the lumbar pad? I'm 90% certain I would like the Kifaru Reckoning but trying to do my due diligence. Anyone on here hunted in Southeast Alaska?