Kifaru Reckoning or Exo 4800

Coxen02

FNG
I’m in the market for a new pack and am looking for one that can handle a 5-7 night back country hunt but will also compress down enough to make a solid day hunting pack. I’m really thinking I’ll probably go with one of these two packs but if anyone has other suggestions I’m open to hearing them! The most important thing to me is comfort while packing heavy loads and I’ll will sacrifice a little weight for it if needed.

Thanks to everyone who replies in advance! I really appreciate the help and opinions

snowplow

WKR
I had a reckoning and liked it but didn't like the spotter pockets (l don't run a spotter). Since l got an AMR and think it IS AWESOME. I been happy for 3 years now. I live the lower 1/3 barrel zip.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Azone

WKR
I'd roll with the Reckoning, Kifaru is a little heavy but they are bomb proof and capable of carrying more weight than you will want to. I've used a Reckoning the past two years and love it. I like the spotter pockets for quick access for trekking poles or pack saw and of course a spotting scope when my buddy let's me borrow his. I have no experience with exo so I cant help you there.

OP
Coxen02

Coxen02

FNG
I'd roll with the Reckoning, Kifaru is a little heavy but they are bomb proof and capable of carrying more weight than you will want to. I've used a Reckoning the past two years and love it. I like the spotter pockets for quick access for trekking poles or pack saw and of course a spotting scope when my buddy let's me borrow his. I have no experience with exo so I cant help you there.
Have you liked how your reckoning functions as a day pack? Or do you mostly use it only for extended trips? What frame do you use with it?

I've owned several Kifaru, including the reckoning. My buddy has been running the eco lately. 1000% I'd go with the EXO. Reckoning was great on >10 day hunts, but the straps, buckles etc drove me nuts. The Exo is so much better designed imo.

Azone

WKR
Have you liked how your reckoning functions as a day pack? Or do you mostly use it only for extended trips? What frame do you use with it?

It's great for day trips as it can compress down to not a whole lot. Longest trip has been 6 days with it and it was a little tight as I volunteered to carry some extra gear out for my friends. A guide lid or a grab it would have saved a little hassle as far as having to hang a few items off the outside of the pack with paracord. My frame is the 26 inch duplex and I also run two large pouches on the belt on either side and a water bottle pouch on one side.
Worst comes to worst, if you dont like it and once your post count gets high enough to access the classifieds on this forum you will be able to dump it off fast to recoup most of your money.
Your pack is gonna be one of your most important pieces of gear, treat it as an investment since it will be spendy and get what works for you. Dont get caught up on sticking with a certain brand just cause someone says so or for the cool factor. Good luck, as it can be maddening deciding on stuff like this.

OP
Coxen02

Coxen02

FNG
It's great for day trips as it can compress down to not a whole lot. Longest trip has been 6 days with it and it was a little tight as I volunteered to carry some extra gear out for my friends. A guide lid or a grab it would have saved a little hassle as far as having to hang a few items off the outside of the pack with paracord. My frame is the 26 inch duplex and I also run two large pouches on the belt on either side and a water bottle pouch on one side.
Worst comes to worst, if you dont like it and once your post count gets high enough to access the classifieds on this forum you will be able to dump it off fast to recoup most of your money.
Your pack is gonna be one of your most important pieces of gear, treat it as an investment since it will be spendy and get what works for you. Dont get caught up on sticking with a certain brand just cause someone says so or for the cool factor. Good luck, as it can be maddening deciding on stuff like this.
Thanks for all the great info! It’s definitely been a hard process deciding what to go with since it is so much money

md126

WKR
Reckoning over the 4800 in my opinion.

However, Reckoning vs 5500 is a more apples to apples comparison. Tough choice but the 5500 is an extremely versatile bag that compresses very well.

kupper

Lil-Rokslider
I have both and while they are close I would recommend the exo. I think what Ill personally end up doing is mounting the exo bag on my kifaru frame. I like the bag design a lot better on the exo and its less strappy. I cant comment on how the exo frame does with weight as I havent hauled any heavy loads yet but its been super comfortable scouting. If i were in your shoes and had to pick I would buy the kifaru frame and the exo 4800 bag only and attach to the kifaru frame. Best of luck

ElkNut1

WKR
Exo 110%, absolutely the finest/toughest pack I've owned! Have the K3 coming shortly, can't wait to get some elk blood on it! I've owned everyone since their birth, they're Elk packing machines!

ElkNut/Paul

HookUp

WKR
kifaru better frame, exo better bag. I run the Reckoning with duplex frame and have zero plans on changing anytime soon. Pack does everything from day hunt to 8-9 days. I packed the bull out in my photo 2000 vertical feet over 2 days and had zero soreness in my back, spine or hips the next day, I was amazed.

Griz34

Lil-Rokslider
I agree with HookUp. I currently own Two Kifaru frames, the lite and hunter with a 44 Mag and Mountain Rambler. I also own two Kuiu packs, the Icon Pro and Ultra. Last year I ran an Exo 3500 for a couple hunts. I loved the bag, but I just couldn't get the belt to feel right. It just wouldn't hug my hips like the Kifaru. The Kuiu belt actually fits me much better than the Exo did. I do want to try the K3 frame, and I probably will at some point. For me the perfect pack is a Kifaru Lite frame with an Exo bag, I might try to figure that out after this season.