Kifaru Sawtooth in DCF

Sawtooth in DCF?

• Total voters

sneaky

"DADDY"
With a lot of the more popular shelters now being offered in DCF, there seems to be a gap in these options from Kifaru. The Sawtooth seems like it would be the logical shelter choice in a DCF version. Anyone else like to see it as on option? I think a Sawtooth in DCF with the rear pole delete with an outside loop to free up space would be the ticket. If I don't screw this up I'll add a poll to see if I'm alone in this.

reaper

WKR
Already have a lot of choices from seekoutside,do you think kifaru can keep up with dyneema orders?Each time I take a look on their website shelters are sold out,maybe they need to hiring more sewers.
IMO I don't think kifaru will take that route.

The redcliff is an excellent option.

Envoyé de mon Pixel 4 XL en utilisant Tapatalk

OP
sneaky

sneaky

"DADDY"
Already have a lot of choices from seekoutside,do you think kifaru can keep up with dyneema orders?Each time I take a look on their website shelters are sold out,maybe they need to hiring more sewers.
IMO I don't think kifaru will take that route.

The redcliff is an excellent option.

Kifaru is going to cut all order times down once they get the new system fully implemented. The Sawtooth is a much better foul weather design than the Redcliff. That's not taking anything away from the Redcliff, it's a great shelter, but it's a huge footprint and a lot of flat sides that catch wind. The Sawtooth has been proven in the worst weather conditions everywhere. I absolutely think there's room in the market for Kifaru to compete in the DCF game. They are missing that segment from their lineup.

CO-AJ

WKR
It did take a while to get my SO DCF setup, but I can tell you it is awesome, their CS was outstanding, and the quality is impeccable. I don't own any Kifaru products, but know they make excellent gear. Personally, I think DCF is some of the greatest shelter material out there. So, good on Kifaru if they decide to go down this route. They will have some catching up to do, since as mentioned above, there is already a large DCF effort in the market from varying manufacturers.

OP
sneaky

sneaky

"DADDY"
I spoke with Aaron several years ago about Kifaru incorporating DCF into their shelter lineup, and he said Kifaru will never go in that direction, they have no interest in DCF.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was wondering how long it would take for you to respond on a DCF thread lol

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I have owned a sawtooth and a so 6man. Sold the sawtooth. So builds a much better shelter and I love kifaru products

reaper

WKR
I have owned a sawtooth and a so 6man. Sold the sawtooth. So builds a much better shelter and I love kifaru products
Yeah exactly,I got a 6 man kifaru,I traded the sawtooth for the 6 man because in winter time I wasn't impressed about the snow load on the sawtooth,tipi shape are the best.

I’d love a Sawtooth in DCF, but I seem to recall quite a few podcasts and interviews with Aaron and he always seems deadset against Dyneema as a fabric. I’m also not sure I could stand the sticker shock. The Sawtooth is already a pricey item.
That said, if Aaron changes his mind the Sawtooth would go to the top of my list. I like a shelter I can stand up in.

tdot

WKR
My guess is that the Sawtooth design and DCF would not work well together. The lack of stretch combined with the ridgeline and asymmetry of the tent body would be tough to design and then setup/site selection would exaggerate any issues and could result in loose panels and less then stellar setups.

It would be sweet if it could work though.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I would bet it's going to happen. My issue with DCF is long term durability. My SO Cimarron DCF is starting to shit the bed after two years of hard use.

The sawtooth is my favorite shelter. IF it came in around two pounds it would be a winner for about 80% of my hunting.

Last edited:
I would bet it's going to happen. My issue with DCF is long term durability. My SO Cimmeron is starting to shit the bed after two years of hard use.
I’ve been looking for long term durability reports of DCF. They’re few and far between. Seems I remember Snyder bringing this up too. As someone who can’t afford to be buying high end tents very often I might just take the weight penalty.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I’ve been looking for long term durability reports of DCF. They’re few and far between. Seems I remember Snyder bringing this up too. As someone who can’t afford to be buying high end tents very often I might just take the weight penalty.
I don't blame SO for the issue. Lightweight has consequences. The DCF is tearing away from the stove jack and down by a stake loop. Sil nylon is hard to beat for long term use.

OP
sneaky

sneaky

"DADDY"
Ryan probably spends more night in his shelters in one year than a lot of guys do in 10 years. You have to realize that any durability issues he's seeing are from accelerated use.

I don't think the design of the Sawtooth would present any design issues from a DCF standpoint. They make DCF shelters in everything from domes to tipis and everything in between.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I don't blame SO for the issue. Lightweight has consequences. The DCF is tearing away from the stove jack and down by a stake loop.
Oh, definitely not blaming SO. TANSTAAFL and all that. I’m also sure if/when you bring it to their attention they’ll do whatever they can to fix it. DCF just might not be as durable as I’d like. I also won’t be using it nearly as hard as you do for at least a few more years though. If ever.

Trial153

WKR
The sawtooth is hard to beat in the wind, Its my go to in places that I cant have a failure. I dont have enough experience with DCF to know if I have the same confidence in it as the silnylon

BBob

WKR
DCF is somewhat of a throwaway product with a limited lifetime. Just look around at some of the shelters offered to the ultralight through hiking community. Many state how many through hikes they are good for and off the top of my head it’s about two in general. That can be a lot of miles but it’s obvious they aren’t going to last like traditional materials. I own some DCF and in no way would I ever expect it to take the same abuse or last as long as a traditional shelter.