Kifaru Sawtooth Mods?

blackdawg

WKR
Considering a Sawtooth addition to the collection. Any mods that could enhance this floorless tent to make it more all season useful or functional?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trial153

WKR
A liner is worth themoney, put it in and leave it in.
Add a 4 inch loop of 3mm Lawsons accessory cord to each corner though the stake loops. It will give you more options on uneven ground as well as raising the shelter up for ventilation.
I also added 2.mm Lawsons glow wire with a machined bar tensioner to each guy out, an upgrade over the supplied guy lines.

Last edited:
OP
B

blackdawg

WKR
Anyone have any custom sewing mods done that were worth the expense?

OP
B

blackdawg

WKR
What's the warmest temps everyone feels comfortable with in this shelter?

OP
B

blackdawg

WKR
Has anyone added a sod cloth? Advantages or disadvantages?

OP
B

blackdawg

WKR
You can pitch it high with a gap under it and open the door and use it all summer if you get a good breeze. Bugs and snakes may make that a bad time for you though.

I can’t camp without a/c in this part of country during summer so I spend a decent amount of time in the mountains. Plenty of bugs like ticks and ants moving around there also, definitely will have some kind of nest for any floorless setup in warmer months.

I laughed when reading..I resemble that statement. Especially after trying to fight the middle of the night urge for an hour + then making a mad dash for the zipper!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Being 6'4" my biggest complaint is reaching for that zipper and getting condensation on my back or shoulder as I brush against the fabric. This Mod will totally end that!. Hmm, my need to figure out a way to re-zip closed without bending over....

JPD350

WKR
Yep the zipper and wet door sucks, I just put about 2' of string and let it lay on the ground.

Being in NM I often pitch it with a gap at the bottom and use a screen door and it is usually bearable.
I have really wanted to add 6 inches of mosquito netting at the bottom, maybe a 12" piece of netting edged and little strings sewn on every 2' and then have little loops that match sewn on the tipi, then I could just tie it on the outside of the tipi after it is set up. I've had some gnarly spiders crawl on me and I have just swatted them..........okay I've slapped the shit out of myself! the clincher that made me want some netting was a close encounter with a big ol black widow.

Nimrod85

FNG
Liner is great! Definitely worth it. I'm also wondering about a sod skirt though--I'm considering trying to sew one onto my tent. Has anyone tried this?

SliverShooter

Lil-Rokslider
I believe Kevin Dill sewed a skirt on his so he could raise it higher. Kevin is a long time member here, run a search with his name and you might find how he done it. Kevin is fairly tall, I believe he did it as much for the extra height as he did for the draft,