Kifaru sawtooth questions

Cole97

FNG
I’ve used this shelter a handful of times and I do like it a lot. Last fall we slept 2 along with stove and all our gear for 17 days. I would say somewhat extreme. 5 days with winds constant at 30-60 mph. 11,300 feet elevation. Temps well below freezing several nights and a couple around 0. Quick blizzard for a day and it performed flawless. No drafts as some others have had issues with but we piled up dirt and logs to block any draft issues. I did take the liner along on this trip which leads to first question. At the back of the tent where rear pole is there is an area (the back I’m calling it) is not covered by the liner. If this is correct (which I think it is) has anyone had one made to cover that area as an addition or do I have it installed wrong? I know that’s being picky and no I don’t have to have it but on an extended stay it was aggravating having condensation on sleeping bags and stuff as cold as it was and freezing almost every day and having that liner at end of feet would have stopped the issue on this particular outting. Other question is has anyone replaced aluminum center pole with carbon fiber or cut an aspen or tree to fit in its place with no problem? Concerned with lightning more than weight honestly. I have tried searching web and thought I’d ask anyone with hands on experience on here and then call Kifaru if needed. Thanks.

EasilyExcited

Lil-Rokslider
The liner doesn't cover the little back section I often put my pack at my feet and keeps my bag off the condensation on the end. I have the rota locura carbon pole kit has been great for several years with weeks of use every year.

OP
Cole97

Cole97

FNG
Thank you for info. I just looked them up and will call for info. If you know could you tell me what size poles you purchased. If you don’t know I can ask and measure what I need. Thanks again.

SliverShooter

Lil-Rokslider
You have installed the liner correct, they are not designed to go to the end of the tent.

Have you used the carbon poles in extreme wind conditions? I know Kifaru says they don’t sell carbon poles because of durability concern in high winds.

Moserkr

WKR
I dont have a sawtooth, but my ruta locura cf 7.5’ tipi pole and tigoat tipi held up in winds that i thought would easily rip my tipi apart at any second. Was a straight line windstorm, 30-40+ sustained with huge gusts, and we mistakenly set up exposed pre-storm. Horrible night, great gear. Also has done great with heavy wet snow. Buy confidently from josh at ruta locura.

For 5 days straight in those winds, that is extreme overall.

SliverShooter

Lil-Rokslider
I dont have a sawtooth, but my ruta locura cf 7.5’ tipi pole and tigoat tipi held up in winds that i thought would easily rip my tipi apart at any second. Was a straight line windstorm, 30-40+ sustained with huge gusts, and we mistakenly set up exposed pre-storm. Horrible night, great gear. Also has done great with heavy wet snow. Buy confidently from josh at ruta locura.

Th is for the input.
I got the stove I use in my Sawtooth from Josh, it’s a good stove and he is good to work with.

Mi_fiveo

WKR

Which Ruta Locura pole did you get for your Sawtooth? They offer the 710 and the 820 in 75” lengths which is the same as the aluminum pole. I’d like to try a carbon pole out to lighten the weight.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Moserkr

WKR
Not sure tbh @Mi_fiveo It came as a package from tigoat when they were still around and josh (ruta) was still helping them. The pole is 7.5’ long and weighs 14.1oz. If you msg josh, he will probably know what it is exactly.

rbljack

WKR
im also curious to know if a cut pole from a lodgepole pine or something like that would work instead of the aluminum poles. Ive done that in my supertarp, but the sawtooth is a bit taller/larger shelter.