Kifaru Sawtooth

Jls21601

FNG
Looking at getting a Sawtooth for this hunting season. Any thoughts out there on the Sawtooth? Is the liner worth the extra $ and weight? Can it be added at a later point or is it sewn in? Thanks in advance for any suggestions or comments.

Brendan

WKR
Love mine. Palace for one. Good for two. Real "cozy" for more than that.

It's a little heavy to pack for one person, I'll do it for a spike camp type setup, but if I'm looking to go lightweight it gets left at home unless I'm expecting cold/bad weather. Spike camp I'll bring the Sawtooth, my helinox cot and chair, and it's a home away from home...

Liner is an add-on. I personally don't have one and have never wanted one. Would make it more weight to carry. I did invest in some lineloc adjusters for the tie-outs to allow easier ventilation, and stove will be worth its weight though if you're hunting past the early season.

Order soon if you want one. Want to make sure you get it in time, and have time to set up, seam seal, get comfortable with pitching.

I'll confirm what Brendan posted above. For myself, the liners proved to be more than worth their expense and weight. It depends on the environment and weather conditions you might encounter. I had my Sawtooth on a hunt that I expected to be a breeze. Instead it became a semi-hurricane at elevation and I experienced a 5-day condensation storm inside the tipi. I hurriedly installed the 2 liner halves and got things under control. Without the liners (on that trip) my gear would have all been saturated from the 5 days of wild weather and constant shower of condensation. My only advice is to know what can happen and somehow be ready to deal with it.

I love the Sawtooth. Lots of square footage for one guy. Enough for two, but a little snug on extended hunts with a stove. Probably wouldn't make the weight cut on an extended backpack trip of many miles. If you buy a stove, know that most any medium or larger stove will suffocate you with heat unless you burn low and slow.

OP
J

Jls21601

FNG
Thanks for the insight. This is my first go with this type of shelter. What types of weather causes the excess moisture on the inside of the shelter?

Brendan

WKR
Thanks for the insight. This is my first go with this type of shelter. What types of weather causes the excess moisture on the inside of the shelter?
Camping over green grass can do it, with moist air inside the shelter, as the temp drops you get condensation on the inside.

Really wet / rainy would do the same.

Most of my trips have ended up being sporadic condensation at night with a good amount of sun to dry out during the day so it hasn't been needed. I also end up solo a lot, and have a stove I can bring as needed.

Have to ask yourself how far you're carrying it and are you splitting weight with a second person to see if it's worth it.

Probably worth determining the actual weight of the liner halves. They aren't heavy but will add several ounces.

Most of the time condensation is more about annoying versus threatening. But it takes one time of really having it bad....and that's what happened to me. Not as big of a deal if you can pack up and hike out in a few hours. I was in a place where nobody was going to get me out because of the distance and terrible weather. I had no choice but to ride it out for days. I almost didn't bring the liners. On that one trip it would've been a disaster without them.

For the record....a guy just needs to know where he'll be and what he might face for conditions. Not everyone needs liners of course.

gunnar_17

FNG
How tight is the sawtooth with a small stove for two people?
In my mind it's perfect for 2 guys, gear and a stove.
af82a872bcee3894b5aec90854c87b7c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

akenkel

FNG
Great, thanks! Any advice for something that would be comfortable for 3 guys with a small or medium stove?

Ryry

FNG
I own a Sawtooth and have used it in the spring on the Columbia River at the end of March for springer fishing in good rain with the medium stove with no complaints. I don’t have the liner and we slept 2 guys with wood and gear no problem. Used it a few times in the blue mountains also and really like it but may get a SO courthouse for elk trips with a medium stove. We have pack goats to bring our gear in for us.