Kifaru Sawtooth

Elk2008

Lil-Rokslider
Hi all, hope everyone is good. Wanted to run a question on the Sawtooth by you all. I’m going to buy a hot tent set up and like the looks of the Sawtooth but haven’t seen one in person.

Has anyone has any issue with a gap between the wall and ground? With no Sod skirt does it let in a big draft? Has me thinking about a seek outside because of it. Anyone has any thoughts on this?

reaper

WKR
Hi all, hope everyone is good. Wanted to run a question on the Sawtooth by you all. I’m going to buy a hot tent set up and like the looks of the Sawtooth but haven’t seen one in person.

Has anyone has any issue with a gap between the wall and ground? With no Sod skirt does it let in a big draft? Has me thinking about a seek outside because of it. Anyone has any thoughts on this?

Yes it let some draft and found this annoying in colder weather.I prefer a sod skirt.

Envoyé de mon Pixel 4 XL en utilisant Tapatalk

LionHead

WKR
I've never been in a sawtooth but ran megatarp/supertarp for a while. Essentially a downsized sawtooth.

There is a draft under the gap, it never bothered me until I camped on a exposed windy ridge and got chilled at night, with a less than ideal sleep system. Although on a warmer nights the draft can be welcome airflow

I currently use a redcliff for my stand up shelter, I do enjoy the floor plan and sod skirts on seek outside tipis.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Frontiers

FNG
What are your thoughts pros/cons of the Sawtooth vs Redcliff. I'm looking for a four season set-up that I can stand-up in? It looks like you prefer the Redcliff??

OP
E

Elk2008

Lil-Rokslider
Will let you all know how the sawtooth is. I really like the looks of it and the Cimmaron but liked the idea of a little more room with a sawtooth in crappy weather.

I have a sawtooth and you can pitch it tight to the ground if you like. Just lower the center pole a notch or two. That said I have never had any problems having it pitched at the normal height with excessive drafts.

This is exactly why I sold my sawtooth it was always drafty in cold weather. I have 4 years on my seek outside 6man tipi with no complaints other than I wish I had the 8 man now that my kids are coming to lol

Also there is no zipper flap on the sawtooth and it's a issue to open when you get a heavy frost. Plus there fabric seems to sag and stretch much more in frosty weather

scott_co

Lil-Rokslider
I have been using the Sawtooth for several years in Colorado and love it. I find the flattest spot I can for setting it up. If necessary, you can lower the center pole slightly as NJDiverDan mentioned.

OP
E

Elk2008

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys got the sawtooth. Took less than a week which I was impressed with. Came with a loop sewn on outside too for the rear pole delete which was nice. So far looks pretty good and lighter than I thought it would be. Pitched in about a foot of snow and there’s a nice amount of room. Seemed to suck down pretty tight to the ground.

Nimrod85

FNG
Yes. Brother and I definitely had trouble with drafts this last elk season in Montana. Now, we were camped at about 7500 ft in below-freezing weather, but that's kinda the type of situation I expect a hot tent to excel in. We tried to lower the center pole and change the way we stake out, but couldn't get a good enough seal to keep out the wind (which was probably ~ 20 mph). I'm considering trying to add a sod skirt to the bottom of the tent because of this. My suspicion is that people who say this isn't a problem are camping in more ideal situations (less wind, thick grass around the bottom of the tent), and we just didn't have that kind of environment available to us when we were out. It kept us warm when sitting up, but when sleeping on the ground it was chilly (heat rises so to some extent that makes sense, but the draft made things worse).

Brother and i have run one for Sept elk for four years. uneven terrain can be a challenge. if i have a draft coming in, i just pile up all my extra crap( food bag, stuff sacks and backpack) in the trouble spot. takes some practice but it ends up being a good shelter. we did have one bad wind storm about knock it over in CO(looked much like when Nate Simmons had one in a western hunter episode a few years back).

SliverShooter

Lil-Rokslider
I use mine here in Montana and Alaska, never had a problem with drafts. However, after setting it I have always walked around the tent and scooted the dirt up against the bottom all the way around it. I’d of thought everybody did that.