Kifaru Shape Charge on a frame???

tdot

WKR
I'm thinking about putting a Shape Charge on a Kifaru frame as a day pack.

I've seen the videos online and it appears that they have all kept the shoulder straps in place while they lash it to the frame. I know I can pull the shoulder straps off. But what about the frame sheet, can it be pulled out? Is that easy to do? Is it likely to damage the components if done repeatedly?

Anyone have a weight for a very bare bones Shape Charge?

jspradley

WKR
I've attached my Antero to my frame before, I would assume the Shape Charge would attach similarly. I'd just leave the frame sheet in there. It's not gonna hurt anything

WTFJohn

WKR
The Shape Charge works fine on a frame; the pic below has the sheet in and straps on. This is a pointless setup to me, if you need to pack the weight a Duplex can carry over a SC then the frame the important part, not the bag; and if you pack meat out between the frame and bag you're going to end up with a blood-soaked back panel on the pack. A 22Mag on the same frame beats the Shape Charge in weight and volume, while compressing down just as well. 22Mag on 24" Duplex vs SC, 2nd pic is SC on 24" Duplex.

IMG_4322.JPG

PsgvHxI.jpg

SLiZCVv.jpg

Last edited:
OP
T

tdot

WKR
I was originally considering the 22 Mag, but to be honest, I dont like it's layout, it just doesnt work for me. I have the 44 Mag, which is solid for me. I've trimmed it down to 3 lbs. So if I need size, that's what I'll take.

But for day hikes from the truck, I'd like something smaller. Which is why I was leaning towards the Shape Charge. I want to keep it super light and efficient, while maintaining the ability to pack a deer out if I need to.

Bonus is I have a smaller pack as well, which I dont have right now.

The alternative that I'd considered was something like a Native or Bane, along with a guide lid. But I can't say I'm super excited about that combo either.

WTFJohn

WKR
I wish the zipper went around the lid pocket as well, but it's not something I really think about anymore. The zippered panel still folds out with a pocket and is held by the compression straps, same as the other bags. There are two good zippered side pockets as well; I get the same utility from that setup as I do my 44Mag/SC top pockets.

The frame sheet is easy to remove on the SC; just open the velcro seam on the inside of the bag and slide the sheet out. The waist belt and shoulder straps come off easily as well. I like my SC a lot, it is a great day hike/EDC backpack. I just got my Bane on Friday and will have a better idea of how I like it after next week. I can try to dig out an OG Guide Lid and get them both on a frame if you're curious how it would fit together.

IMG_4324.JPGIMG_4323.JPG

WTFJohn

WKR
The alternative that I'd considered was something like a Native or Bane, along with a guide lid. But I can't say I'm super excited about that combo either.

Here's a Bane with medium pocket and a Sherman all on a Duplex from a trail cam retrieval/scouting trip today. It worked pretty well as a day trip setup and would be easy enough to haul meat with the Sherman as a GrabIt. to hold everything else. 1.5L Nalgene is in the side pocket of the Bane.

9sLQVAc.jpg

Qv3nfZE.jpg

7Ja73k9.jpg

OP
T

tdot

WKR
Wow, thanks for all the pictures, I really appreciate them! They give a much better perspective on the different sizes of the bags.

If it's not too much trouble, a pic of the Guide Lid and Bane would be cool to see.

Nice setup, with the Sherman and Bane, I had originally crossed off that combo, but now I'll have to reconsider it again.

Thanks again, appreciate the help!