Kifaru Shape Charge stay question

I’m getting ready to order a Shape Charge and I’m not sure whether to go with aluminum stays or composite stays. Which ones would you choose and WHY?

I’m assuming the aluminum stays will kinda mold to the shape of your back, correct? Are the composites proffered for an ounce or two savings and no formation to your back?

FWIW - I have a pretty flat back and ZERO ass, lol. I’m going to be using it as a coyote hunting pack and EDC bag. It won’t be seeing a lot of weight in it except for possibly strapping a coyote or two to it (with a Grab-It) for a half mile hike out from a stand. I may end up running it on my frame also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chad.frank

Lil-Rokslider
Kifaru has one of the best customer service in the industry. Just give them a call and they will answer all your questions. They are super awesome to deal with.

I’ve got composite stays in my shape charge. They’re contoured to my back (I do not have a flat back) and it’s very comfortable. Give them a call and see what they think is best for you. They won’t steer you wrong

albow720

FNG
I just messaged Aron the same question and this was his response:
Doesn’t really matter man and less you’re really wanting to Save weight.
I went with the composite. Message Aron if you have more specific questions he is usually pretty quick to get back to you. Really excited to get this pack!

Jedgar

FNG
Possibly just me but I bought second hand, my shape charge came with normal back composite stays. With a 30 lb sandbag pack weight 35 ish lbs I noticed that the top of the pack wanted to lean away from my body. I tried a few different things with straps and moving weight around but flipping the stays upside down helped tremendously to get the pack to settle down on my back. 🤷🏻‍♂️ Worth playing around with if it’s uncomfortable under a load. I’m 70” 184.

The composite stays will have a much much higher specific modulus (strength and stiffness to weight ratio), and won't permanently bend without breaking (no adjustments.) The aluminum stays can be bent (you can adjust their shape), but weigh a little more, and *could* change over the course of a hike with heavy loads and dynamic stresses. I generally stick with composite stays because I like *knowing* that they'll be the same shape throughout the hike. In other words, largely preference.