Kifaru Shape Charge Vs SG avail 2200

Smid

WKR
Currently have the SG avail and I’m not entirely happy with it for what I’m doing. I use it as a catch all bag, travel, range, and will be using it for hog and potentially coyote hunting this year. It’s a super nice pack and I like how it fits but The layout is very basic and I hate not really having side pockets. The shape change caught my eye and I like the webbing inside where I could attach mag holders and stuff for the range. I’d probably end up spending around $200 but the time I sell the SG and got the shape change but I’m wondering if it’s really worth it, or if I could put that money into the SG and be happy. Any input appreciated

Be350ka

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been eyeing you avail 😉. What about going with the Kiowa? I have a 14r that I use for all that you mentioned above plus tree stand duty. It is almost perfect for those uses. I also have the SG Solo for heavier loads. I love that thing!!
If you don’t mind me asking how does the avail fit you? I’m 6’2” tall and have a longish torso and that is what sent me to the 14r and it’s stay length. I’m not a huge fan of having a bag that just hangs off my back but a smaller bag will likely do that I guess.

I’m a huge fan of the Shape Charge. The side pockets work well for my tripod or water bottles. I’ve used it in a bunch of configurations. The molle inside I’ve used to mount radios (military). I like the layout of the pockets and find it’s about perfect for some organization but not overkill. If you get the SC and plan to use it a ton all year get the Sherman pocket too. It really expands its versatility

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Smid

Smid

WKR
I’ve been eyeing you avail 😉. What about going with the Kiowa? I have a 14r that I use for all that you mentioned above plus tree stand duty. It is almost perfect for those uses. I also have the SG Solo for heavier loads. I love that thing!!
If you don’t mind me asking how does the avail fit you? I’m 6’2” tall and have a longish torso and that is what sent me to the 14r and it’s stay length. I’m not a huge fan of having a bag that just hangs off my back but a smaller bag will likely do that I guess.

I have looked at the Kiowa (someone offered a trade even) but I’m worried I’m going to run into the same issue. It really comes down to me trying to do too much with one bag. The stone glacier seems like a badass technical bag. I can definitely travel and do things but it’s not really made for that. But it does blend in a little better as and edc bag compared to the the Multicam shape charge I’ve been eyeing

OP
Smid

Smid

WKR
I’m a huge fan of the Shape Charge. The side pockets work well for my tripod or water bottles. I’ve used it in a bunch of configurations. The molle inside I’ve used to mount radios (military). I like the layout of the pockets and find it’s about perfect for some organization but not overkill. If you get the SC and plan to use it a ton all year get the Sherman pocket too. It really expands its versatility

Thanks for the input. I watched the video on the website and I think the Sherman pocket sold me on it, particularly with the rifle carrying capabilities. I had a Eberlestock high speed lo drag, and while it was very handy, I didn’t like how the rifle always swung around inside the holder. The kifaru wouldn’t have that issue.

pc3

WKR
Would a Kifaru Ultra light frame and say 22 mag be more versatile than the shape charge ? The shape charge and 22 mag look almost identical for mine.......if needed you can haul more ?

OP
Smid

Smid

WKR
Would a Kifaru Ultra light frame and say 22 mag be more versatile than the shape charge ? The shape charge and 22 mag look almost identical for mine.......if needed you can haul more ?

I did seriously think about that but at the end of the day I don’t think I’d benefit from a framed packed. I’m not hunting out west and I think the versatility of the non framed will be better suited for travel

Reactions: pc3

outdoor_matt

Lil-Rokslider
I had an Avail as well...used it for a bunch of different stuff...work, hunting, hiking, etc. I didn’t really like the layout either, especially the lack of external water bottle pockets. Sold it and bought the HPG Umlindi and like it wayyy better...very simple, top loading, and side pockets. It’s a great pack. Shape charge looks like a sweet pack too, though.

OP
Smid

Smid

WKR
FCE6E44C-4D11-4F22-84FE-AFFBDF67D473.jpeg

Been a long week and a half and probably going to be an even longer weekend now lol

pc3

WKR
I feel your pain...my order shipped 3 March.....and usps tracking for the package has not budged since 6 march, I wonder if it's all the panic over the corona virus being the reason it's sitting still. So not only did I have to wait 4 weeks for it to ship now its stuck somewhere

OP
Smid

Smid

WKR
That’s rough, I shouldn’t be complaining then.

Reactions: pc3
In my experience the grass is always greener. Once you get the shape change and use it for a while you'll probably realize that the stone glacier served you just fine.

Austink47

WKR
The avail is extremely adjustable. I would be very surprised if you could not get it adjusted right for you. I am 6’ and there is still plenty of room to adjust. It carries weight nicely for a day pack. The layout is kinda different. Let me know if you need any more info.

OP
Smid

Smid

WKR
In my experience the grass is always greener. Once you get the shape change and use it for a while you'll probably realize that the stone glacier served you just fine.

You’re probably 100% correct in that

OP
Smid

Smid

WKR
9FB15432-EF55-4B76-B96E-DB98284B9115.jpegD9360173-E113-4AAF-A5D0-CCF636572BA4.jpegDC7DAF3F-1AF4-451F-AB2A-8C4CC52D8072.jpeg9DD16FA1-C66B-49B4-9E96-F18DBA73C40D.jpeg
The last picture made the bag totally worth it for me lol. But in all seriousness this is a super high quality bag. The mesh and pockets feel more rugged than the stone glacier did. (not to insult the avail, it was very quality for sure) This should work perfectly for my intended use. I will say I did like the shoulder straps on the avail slightly better. They are a little wider with more padding, but that’s a minor observation.
A19FE5AA-0883-4D55-846F-4FEEC198AB4D.jpeg
Had the wife do a test run to see how it looked. Once I come up with a method to secure the rifle to the molle quickly it will be perfect. Going to be very convenient for 5 stand shooting at my local club so I don’t have to lug a backpack and a case.

Bender

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Smid - The upper compression straps have matched pair buckles so you can go across and buckle them together for that purpose. I've seen people use grimlocks on the pals in line with those straps to contain the fore end of the rifle by passing the webbing through them before buckling together. This way you can open the grimlocks to release the webbing if you need to open the bag all the way (can't do that as easily with k clips). Let me know if any of that made sense, can post pics if needed.

OP
Smid

Smid

WKR
Thank you, that does make sense. I figured there was a better way, I was just too antsy to throw it in there (that was about 30 seconds after I opened it lol). I’m working a deal on a matching Sherman, and will post more picks after I get everything together

I absolutely hated carrying my rifle like that when I had my Shape Charge. The rifle carries too low and hits the back of my legs. I actually ended up selling it and going back to an Avail. Both are really nice packs. I love the simplicity of the Avail but I do wish they'd add water bottle pockets to the outside like on the Shape Charge

OP
Smid

Smid

WKR
I could see that. The AR is small enough I don’t really have to fold the Sherman down, I can sandwich it between it I was going any sort of distance