Kifaru Shipping Charges

BKhunter

WKR
Hey All,

I was trying to order a small item off Kifaru but the cost of shipping was half the price of the item. Has anyone else run into this issue? I like the company and want to buy things here and there from them but it doesn't make sense unless I'm ordering a big ticket item. I shipped a huge package the other day for a couple of bucks and the discrepancy seems nuts.

BK

reaper

WKR
Yep i paid express shipping 68$ usd for a tactical frame wich is 93$ CAD and it suppose to arrive in 3 to 5 days after the item is shipped...9 days later still waiting for it,i know its not kifaru fault at all but their shipping charges are insane.So for my Canadian fellows do not waste your money on faster shipping it will be at your home the exact same time as normal shipping.I shipped a 6 man tipi and liner Quebec(canada)to Alaska USA for 29$ CAD(21$ usd) and it took 4 open days....???$$$??

Envoyé de mon E6560C en utilisant Tapatalk

Felix40

WKR
Yeah I think they must write shipping and handling charges into their profit margin for every item. A friend ordered one of the clearance nomads that said "while supplies last". When I had my wife try to pick it up for him to save shipping costs they said it wasnt done yet. Seemed odd to me. I was going to get a hat at one time too but they wanted $11 shipping. I know for a fact you can ship a hat first class for $3.50 or less because Ive done it.

Squirrels

WKR
The rates have to be a way to increase margin. I assume they have some sort of corporate account for shipping. I have access to a UPS account. I placed an order with Kifaru for a bag and frame, I paid the shipping and emailed the label to them to ship it to me. Cost me $8.15 to ship it to my wife's work.

Last edited:
The rates are have to be a way to increase margin. I assume they have some sort of corporate account for shipping. I have access to a UPS account. I placed an order with Kifaru for a bag and frame, I paid the shipping and emailed the label to them to ship it to me. Cost me $8.15 to ship it to my wife's work.

Good idea.

Loco4dux

WKR
The rates are have to be a way to increase margin. I assume they have some sort of corporate account for shipping. I have access to a UPS account. I placed an order with Kifaru for a bag and frame, I paid the shipping and emailed the label to them to ship it to me. Cost me $8.15 to ship it to my wife's work.

Nice!

Yep it's also kept me from purchasing small items... instead just wait for them to pop up on the classifieds.

OP
B

BKhunter

WKR
I emailed them and they basically said those are our costs. I would buy things here and there but the shipping is insane. Kinda said considering a spent a small fortune on a pack about a year ago.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Ironically I just went to buy pullouts and shipping was 11, which gave me pause. That's pretty steep, I remember the same thing with Mystery Ranch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oldgoat

WKR
It's everybody but Amazon prime just about. Rmsgear is a Kifaru dealer and they used to have a flat rate shipping, not sure if they still do, 1shotgear I think did too and they are sponsor here.

Daniel_M

WKR
I just spent $140 on shipping for $250 in parts...so no it's limited to Kifaru. Shipping sucks in general, but try living in Alaska!

R_burg

WKR
It's everybody but Amazon prime just about. Rmsgear is a Kifaru dealer and they used to have a flat rate shipping, not sure if they still do, 1shotgear I think did too and they are sponsor here.

I am sorry, but it is not everybody but Amazon prime. I do not have one other hobby that I feel beat over the head with shipping other than hunting specific vendors. Its not even backpacking/outdoor companies in general, just some particular hunting vendors.

To the OP, I agree. I think Kifaru is the worst offender. I need to buy autolock buckles and they want to charge me 11 dollars in shipping, which is outrageous.

Its 2017. Get your margins somewhere else. Its not 1997 and the advent of e-commerce anymore.

First of all, they only ship UPS which is usually a minimum of $12 for home delivery. Yes it sucks, but those are the costs. It would be nice if they offered USPS for smaller items (which usually costs $6-7) but they just aren't set up for it. Also, their system isn't set up for differentiating between business and residential (which results in fairly big savings on UPS) so they have to assume everyone is ordering for residential. They certainly aren't making money on any of it. In the day of Amazon and such we are used to free and/or cheap shipping but the fact is that those companies ship thousands if not tens or hundreds of thousands of packages a day and get greatly discounted negotiated rates. Kifaru doesn't ship nearly enough to have any sort of bargaining position with UPS, so they are stuck paying the same rates any of us could get by creating an account.

dotman

WKR
I emailed them and they basically said those are our costs. I would buy things here and there but the shipping is insane. Kinda said considering a spent a small fortune on a pack about a year ago.

Costs probably include labor for a dedicated shipping dept.

R_burg

WKR
First of all, they only ship UPS which is usually a minimum of $12 for home delivery. Yes it sucks, but those are the costs. It would be nice if they offered USPS for smaller items (which usually costs $6-7) but they just aren't set up for it. Also, their system isn't set up for differentiating between business and residential (which results in fairly big savings on UPS) so they have to assume everyone is ordering for residential. They certainly aren't making money on any of it. In the day of Amazon and such we are used to free and/or cheap shipping but the fact is that those companies ship thousands if not tens or hundreds of thousands of packages a day and get greatly discounted negotiated rates. Kifaru doesn't ship nearly enough to have any sort of bargaining position with UPS, so they are stuck paying the same rates any of us could get by creating an account.

At my previous employer I had a UPS business account and was shipping things for next to nothing all the time. 12 dollars was not the minimum.

Squirrels

WKR

They DO indeed offer different rates between residential and business, you select when you click to calculate shipping cost

Felix40

WKR

By "arent set up for that" are you saying they dont have a mailbox? I can print a shipping label at my house and send a small package across the country for a few bucks.