Kifaru Sleeping Bags

shooten

FNG
I finally got to "really" test my slik bag over the weekend. It's a 0 degree bag and we were camping on a 9 foot snow base at 10,000 feet in the Minarets area of the Southern Sierras. The temps got in the low teens. I'm a cold sleeper and felt it in the early morning. It wasn't uncomfortable but it wasn't warm either. Next time I'm bringing the woobie. Overall I'm really happy with it though. It's lite and I prefer synthetics after a bad experience with wet down. At a little over 2 lbs, I prefer it to my other 5 lb synthetic bag as well.

mhunter

FNG
At a little over 2 lbs...

Please correct if I'm wrong but does Kifaru 0 degree bag have only 8oz Climashield Combat? I must have my math wrong, I cannot see how 0 degree synthetic bag can be that light? Matt

littlebuf

Banned
Please correct if I'm wrong but does Kifaru 0 degree bag have only 8oz Climashield Combat? I must have my math wrong, I cannot see how 0 degree synthetic bag can be that light? Matt

http://www.kifaru.net/slickbaginfo.html

depending on the model its almost 3#

on another note shootn, are you at all disappointed you need a secondary insulation layer with a 0* bag or are you pretty happy with the temp rating?

littlebuf

Banned
I just noticed the 0* weight for the long wide. that's kinda funny

mhunter

FNG
OK, Thanks for info! And thanks shooten for your review!!
3# makes more sense for me, with clothes it would be 0 degree bag and with couple of hot water nalgenes way below 0.
matt

jherald

WKR
Down has its place, as does synthetic. I only like down in winter times with little or no rain. Synthetic the rest of the time. Was on one trip where our tent got caved in beyond repair so we bivied under our 10x10 alaskan standard, the blue tarp. Oh and it rained for 4 days straight on this particular trip. We had synthetic bags and i am sure we would have suffered from exposure if we had down bags, maybe even died. Weather is too unpredictable here in the fall and i would rather replace a synthetic bag every 3-4 years versus having down. It has nothing to do with being "sloppy about gear storage" either. In an emergency situation your synthetic gear or wool clothing is going to save your life if things get wet.

I have a down bag, it just has its place and time for my use here. Not knocking down at all, there are just places and times for using both bags.

shooten

FNG
http://www.kifaru.net/slickbaginfo.html

depending on the model its almost 3#

on another note shootn, are you at all disappointed you need a secondary insulation layer with a 0* bag or are you pretty happy with the temp rating?

2 pounds 12 ounces. It's still the lightest bag I have.

I think it did very well. I am a very cold sleeper and am more sensitive to it than most. I've lost 10 pounds in the past few months as well so that insulation that I'm used to is gone as well. I was sleeping in a 4 season tent on snowpack. There was no issue on cold from the bottom. I was feeling it from the top. I would have felt uncomfortable if it were 10 degrees cooler but I was only wearing one layer of medium smart wool.

It did much better than my 15 deg Marmot when it was around 25 degrees last fall in the San Gabriel Mtns and weighs less.

I like Kifaru bags. Lightweight and true to their temp rating. I also have Western Mountaineering bags (down) and they are very nice as well. Cant go wrong with a Kifaru. I think in the long run a good quality down bag will out last the synthetic bag.