Kifaru slick bag 20 degree initial Impression

bbrown

WKR
Also curious about the sizing - at 5'10 185lbs is it worth it to get the wide? Not looking for a king size bed but don't want to feel like cocoon either.

bbrown

WKR
Thanks - I am a bit torn now because I found a pretty good deal on a lightly used BA Mystic 15 with the IAC pad for $250. Never had a down bag before and it is not any lighter than the Slick but I like the idea of the pad sleeve. What do you think?

OP
G
Some people love the BA system others hate it. Compare the weights. All I can say is you won't find a better value than the Kifaru. And you can't beat the resale if for some reason you decide to go a different direction.

bbrown

WKR
Thanks gobbler - I was kind of leaning that way. I have yet to try any kifaru gear and I am afraid I will end up hooked like everyone else (is that a bad thing though??).

Climber

FNG
Sorry to dig up an old thread but wondering if you guys have any updated info on the temp rating and build quality of the slick bag? I'm looking at them hard right now and on paper, it looks like one of the best synthetics out there.

armyjoe

Super Moderator
Temp rating is very subjective per individual but the new center zip sleeping bag sleeps warmer to me then the older side zip. The reasoning for this is the contour cut from the shoulders up on the new bag and the new baffle system. The material hasn't changed at all and is still the same tough Rhino Skin fabric and Climashield Insulation. It definitely is one of the best synthetic bags out there. Shoot me an email if you have anymore questions on it. [email protected]

Sorry to dig up an old thread but wondering if you guys have any updated info on the temp rating and build quality of the slick bag? I'm looking at them hard right now and on paper, it looks like one of the best synthetics out there.

I bought 4 of the 0* reg slick bags four years ago and all four are still holding up great, no holes, rips, tears or loose seams. Two of them have been used by teenage boys.

I sleep cold and can sleep down to 30 with just a T-shirt and shorts, after than I need to put my mid weight merino base layer, at 20 I need puffy gear. The coldest I've gone down to is 10 and I was a little chilled both times. The boys have never complained about being cold in the same temps. The wife gets chilled if gets down to 60, so don't ask her. :)

I use the 5 string large stuff sack and it can compress them pretty small, but I was always under the impression you shouldn't do that with synthetic. So I just get it down small enough to fit where ever it is I need to put it and call it good.

The older reg always has been just a little snug around my shoulders, but I have long arms and wide shoulders. I am 6' and 205.

boom

WKR
I froze my butt in a 20 bag. I felt super tight in the regular. Super tight. I'm 6 foot 190 lbs.

It was a tough bag. I got the fabric hung up hard in the zipper and it was unfazed. First zip too :(

In the end, I sold that thing.

kickemall

WKR
I froze my butt in a 20 bag. I felt super tight in the regular. Super tight. I'm 6 foot 190 lbs.

It was a tough bag. I got the fabric hung up hard in the zipper and it was unfazed. First zip too :(

What temps were you in?

I froze my butt in a 20 bag. QUOTE]

I have heard this complaint from multiple people. Basically that the Slick bag is way overrated in regards to actual R-value and rating. This was also regarding the older Slick bags, so maybe they've been redesigned and this is no longer an issue.

I have the same experience with the wide version. Im hoping to unload this thing to some sucker & get a 0* quilt.

boom

WKR
I have the same experience with the wide version. Im hoping to unload this thing to some sucker & get a 0* quilt.

Lemme guess. Your not in sales. Haha

A zero quilt is on my list. I think it would be awesome for truck camp too!

idig4au

WKR
Great bag, but no where near the temp rating for me. I froze in my 20 degree bag during my sheep hunts last year in B.C. and down in Mexico and both were not very cold conditions. I'm talking low 30's degree F in BC and much warmer than that in Mexico. Wearing full base layers with a beanie. The only product from Kifaru that I'm not satisfied with and have retired.

kickemall

WKR
Well, none of thats to encouraging. May have to re-think things. I appreciate the candid responses.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
This is very subjective. I am a warm sleeper had the 0 slik down to 5 with no problems. Had the 20 down to around 20 degrees a couple difference times. Been cold and warm in the same bag at different times. I will say the Rhino skin is tough stuff and damn near totally wind proof. You can always add clothing if your cold. If this is going in a bivy the bivy will also add a few degrees of warmth.

Doj4Whlr

Lil-Rokslider
I've seen a few comments here regarding the wear of clothing while sleeping in the bag. Unless it is absolutely required, wearing clothes while sleeping is counter-productive. OK, I understand- "unless absolutely required..." is very subjective but I've been in more than a few bags in as many environments as one can imagine(well, almost). When you first climb in your bag, it feels good to keep those warm layers on and it also helps to warm your bag quickly. The trick is to get out of them before you go to sleep. Wearing too much clothing while sleeping only serves to trap in the moisture your body is giving off throughout the night (doesn't mean you have to feel sweaty). It does not take long for the air within the bag, and in your clothes, to begin to lose the insulating quality.

If I were to make a critical comment about my Slick 0, it would be that it seems as though there is an excess of material around the top of the zipper near the neck area. A slight design modification would streamline the zipper a bit. Other than that, my Zero has completely lived up to my expectations. I'm not in sales...

I can say my experience is nothing like yours. I wear all my puffy gear when i sleep if its getting close to the temp rating and it definitely adds warmth and I'm not creating anymore moisture.