Kifaru slick bag 20 degree initial Impression

Just got my new kifaru slick bag 20 degree regular length today. My initial impression is the foot box that is advertised as being so big really isnt much larger than a standard bag, just squared off. The cut of the bag also isn't much larger than my down bag. Being a smaller guy 5-7 150 I was worried about the cut of the bag being to large and my body having to heat the space. Overall construction looks awesome as with any kifaru product. After crawling in the bag seems very comfortable the flat and round draw strings are very easy to operate, the hood cinches down very tight around you. The bag compresses down nearly as small as my down bag. Overall initial impression is outstanding. I also ordered the 5 string medium compression sack. Which fit the slick, my Neo air and ti-goat bivy. Wow love that compression bag.

Yea you got a legit set up. I have a 0 degree. Really like the weight and how much it compresses. Wouldn't expect anything less from Kifaru thou

sneek-ee

WKR
I am 6'4" and have the 20* and 0* both longs. I'll tell you this. I wish i would've got them in wides!!
Great sleeping bags that should last a long time though!!

OP
G
For me being fairly short and skinny, I have a ton of room. Just about the right amount of wiggle room. My golite adrenaline fit like a shrink wrap, didn't like that, I think the slick will be just right.

dotman

WKR
I really like mine, I got the reg long version but wish I had also picked up a wide just cause I like to move all over the place inside a bag.

shaun

WKR
Think this bag is my next kifaru purchase I have been checking out the wide cut bag for a while now haven't really found a bag that fits my shoulders comfortably

i was looking at the wides awhile back but i think I've finally gotten used to a mummy bag, especially with pad of r-value over 5 i can just use like a quilt

Vandal 44

WKR
I am glad you guys posted this, I will be ordering the 20* slick bag later this year. I will be getting the wide cut but i am not sure if I should get the long. I am 6'2" and 230 pounds

Walker6

FNG
Vandal, Aron is right. Get the long wide. I'm 6'2" 205 and the long wide 20 is neither too long nor too wide for me.

TJ

WKR
For those that have a 20*Slick bag. Do you feel it's temp rating is accurate?
I realize everyone is different, but the last bag I got with a 20* rating I thought should have been rated closer to 40*.

OP
G
Good question. Mine is brand new and unused, but I will be taking it on a late season blacktail hunt next week and it will definitely be tested down to the temp rating. I will report back. Others have said how thin the slick bag insulation is, but my impression was its about as thick as my comparable down bag.

Walker6

FNG
I've only been down to about 40 in mine and was fine, but I didn't get the impression that I'd be warm at 20 in boxers or anything. From using it and reading about it, I'd say it's meant to be good to 20 as part of a system. Wear long underwear, socks, cap, etc., zip it up to prevent convective heat loss, and you'll be good.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I sleep cold and no 20 degree bag is an actual 20, but if I wear socks or booties, than I have no issue with the SLik at those temps. My partner sleeps warm and is comfy down to 20 in his Slik, so it really depends on how cold/warm you sleep.

theedz

WKR
Bringing an old thread back up because I am considering getting one, just wondering what are the compression measurements? Everything sounds great in the bag, just wondering how compact it is. Only see the one picture as compaired to the Nalgene bottle.

shaun

WKR
Bringing an old thread back up because I am considering getting one, just wondering what are the compression measurements? Everything sounds great in the bag, just wondering how compact it is. Only see the one picture as compaired to the Nalgene bottle.

If you look at the kifaru stuff sacks they have compression measurements and say what they are capable of holding. Thet is what I went off atleast.