Kifaru slick bag worth the money?

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Embrace the hate. I doubt your using the original stuff stack that came with your bag anyway or putting it in a dry sack anyway. If a $10 add on makes or breaks a 400$ purchase your focused on the wrong things.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

I don’t hate the bag, if you’d actually read through the thread you’d see that this is my only complaint. My only point is that little things like this are why I’m not as enthusiastic about the kifaru brand as I used to be. I use my slick bag all the time and have no plans of getting rid of it. Oh, also I do use the stuff sacks that come with sleeping bags.

I’m really having a hard time picking apart the slick 0* bag. So far I can’t find anything with the same feature set that has any major advantage. Wiggys as an example will save you $100 or more, but then you are looking at 6lbs plus, similar features and as far as I can tell, slightly less durable material. The north face models are similar.

So I think I may be getting one shortly. I only need something that is durable, not insane expensive, can be used as a quilt when hot, and warm for wet/cold fall and winter stuff. As far as weight goes, I’d likely only use this during late fall-winter-early spring. That’s going to mean it could be wet out. And comparing the weight penalty to a similar down bag, along with price, I think I’d be better going this route.

I already have a 15* down wm bag, a 35* down quilt, and I think I’ll round it out with a 0* slick bag and a -20* wm bag. My thought is a -20 bag will mean I’m likely not in wet but rather freezing and I can see down excelling there. Especially with the weight differential. But I can see the 0* slick being a workhorse bag that can do wet or cold or wet and warm but opened to vent.

Am I wrong on my thoughts here or am I overlooking something? I’m pretty hard on down bags as they see lots of use and time compressed. Will a slick bag fit this bill

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I’m really having a hard time picking apart the slick 0* bag. So far I can’t find anything with the same feature set that has any major advantage. Wiggys as an example will save you $100 or more, but then you are looking at 6lbs plus, similar features and as far as I can tell, slightly less durable material. The north face models are similar.

So I think I may be getting one shortly. I only need something that is durable, not insane expensive, can be used as a quilt when hot, and warm for wet/cold fall and winter stuff. As far as weight goes, I’d likely only use this during late fall-winter-early spring. That’s going to mean it could be wet out. And comparing the weight penalty to a similar down bag, along with price, I think I’d be better going this route.

I already have a 15* down wm bag, a 35* down quilt, and I think I’ll round it out with a 0* slick bag and a -20* wm bag. My thought is a -20 bag will mean I’m likely not in wet but rather freezing and I can see down excelling there. Especially with the weight differential. But I can see the 0* slick being a workhorse bag that can do wet or cold or wet and warm but opened to vent.

Am I wrong on my thoughts here or am I overlooking something? I’m pretty hard on down bags as they see lots of use and time compressed. Will a slick bag fit this bill

Im a warm sleeper, zero degree bags dont work well for me as "all around" bags, I just get too warm. For an all around bag, I like 15-20. For real winter camping, I have a western mountaineering Puma, I just ordered a Badger MF as an all around bag for this coming season. I find the 20 degree slick is great for me into november here in AK.

Im a warm sleeper, zero degree bags dont work well for me as "all around" bags, I just get too warm. For an all around bag, I like 15-20. For real winter camping, I have a western mountaineering Puma, I just ordered a Badger MF as an all around bag for this coming season. I find the 20 degree slick is great for me into november here in AK.

How will you use the badger and the slick bag?

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
How will you use the badger and the slick bag?

I use the slick bag for moose and caribou hunting when its wet and were spending lots of time out on the tundra, its also what I grab for car camping or pack raft trips. The badger will go along sheep and goat hunting when I need compressability and light weight.

rflamm250

FNG
I am new to western backpack style hunting. I am going on my first trip this October in Idaho. I have been researching bags for a month now. For a synthetic it is looking like the Kirafu is the best option out right now. I was also looking at wiggys and Marmot. I am new to this sight and was undecided until I found this sight and saw that the Kirafu bags have a good resale value. I am getting a 0 deg bag for my trip, and am going to wear Kuiu super down pants and jacket over heavy synthetic Sitka base layer. I am not a sweater and typically keep my home on 78 deg at night. I will be in a Hilleberge AKTO tent. How cold do you guys that have the Kirafu bag think a Florida guy would be comfortable with this sleep system.