Kifaru slick bag worth the money?

Skull10

WKR
They are worth it. Center zip, plenty of room and synthetic. Compresses down pretty well too.

Absolutely worth it to me. Been a great bag after discovering the difference in a cheap bag and a good bag. Love the center zip and it’s not a slim cut so I’ve got room to wiggle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FlyGuy

WKR
It is for me. Doesn’t compress as much as down does and it isn’t as light as down, but I doubt there is a better synthetic bag on the market.

You can’t cheat the mountain

So aside from ultra wet weather, what’s the selling point over let’s say something like a western mountaineering bag

Nothing unless you want a center zip, want synthetic or are a big kifaru fan.

What would be an apples to apples comparison bag when comparing the kifaru ?

I’m just wondering what the stand out feature set would be. I’ve only used a handful of synthetics but I’ve had several of the newer down bags and the water resistance has kept me from considering a synthetic. However these have been on my radar.

Gumbo

WKR
I think the Kifaru bags are great as far as weight:warmth ratio goes in the synthetic world. I have a 0* and it is good, but nowhere near as warm as a 0* WM Kodiak. But I absolutely HATE the center zip as a belly sleeper/tosser&turner. I also removed some of the velcro which was always catching on my clothes and was otherwise obnoxious. But all of those issues are my personal idiosyncrasies, the bag itself is great if you don't mind an extra pound or so and the extra bulk, especially if you want to beat the tar out of your bag in terms of dirt and moisture like I do.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
What would be an apples to apples comparison bag when comparing the kifaru ?

I’m just wondering what the stand out feature set would be. I’ve only used a handful of synthetics but I’ve had several of the newer down bags and the water resistance has kept me from considering a synthetic. However these have been on my radar.

I’m not sure what an apples to apples comparison would be, maybe a mountain hardware hyperlamina? I think that has a center zip.

I used the kifaru bag for awhile and Hs don complaints but as my hunting is mooching almost strictly towards sheep/goat and solo mountain hunts I just started cutting weight and bulk from my pack. I’m planning to order a western mountaineering bag on Monday. Ill keep the kifaru bag but in my opinion, the shortcomings of the kifaru bag is that is not the weight but the packed size. For the record, I have the 20 degree, long, wide slick bag, I think it’s about 3.5lbs.

For me one of the biggest perks of synthetic is that I could fall in a river or get soaked and be able to crawl in my bag and be dry by morning. I have been hunting solo alot more lately and feel like the extra weight and size is worth the piece of mind for me. I also don't carry a in reach so if something happens I am on my own.
If weight and size matter to you and water is not a issue I would look at a we or feathered friends down bag to save some weight. It all comes down to what you are comfortable with and how much you abuse your gear

Trial153

WKR
EE makes an apex quilt that would compare to Kifaru, just to get a weight vs specs comparison as they have different features

Apples to Apples would be a MH Hyperlamina 20*. When i’m using synthetic bags i use my slick bag and my wife uses the MH bag. Weight and compressibility are pretty much identical as well as center zip. That’s about where the similarities end. I’ve spent time in both often after my wife steals my slick bag. The kifaru bag is noticibly warmer, warms up faster, dries faster, and far roomier. If your not on the mountain a bunch or near civilization the MH bag is a great option. Besides that the slick is my go to. I’ll move to down when it’s well below freezing and chances of getting wet are slim to none.

So am I correct in saying the key selling points are durability, quality of synthetic (vs other synthetic) insulation, and extreme wet weather use?

With the key downsides being size packed is larger, weight is heavier, and for some the center zipper?

I have other kifaru gear and on quality alone it’s hard to do apples to apples in my experience. The Kifaru brand seems to prioritize durability and proven basic function over all else.

I spend far too much time plotting, planning, training, preparing, and money....year round for my 1-2 trips annually to hunt elk in CO in Sept to worry about the synthetic vs down debate. Yes, I could save a pound or more in weight and I’m sure several cubic inches worth of space in my pack by going with down instead of synthetic. But after all that I put into my trips each year I’m completely satisfied knowing my synthetic bag is gonna work for me. Wet or dry it won’t let me down. That price of mind let’s me focus on other parts of my prep and trip. Thoughts from a flat lander.....

CiK01

WKR
Keep hearing a synthetic bag will degrade over time. I am not in the mountains or woods as much as I want to be. I can’t stomach buying something and watching it lose loft/efficiency without use.

I use a bivy and down. I want my money to last and the synthetic degrade question and lack of real opportunity keeps me from pulling the trigger on one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk