Kifaru spike camp users

Lawnboi

WKR
Well im narrowing it down even more and this is the main pack im looking at for a smaller pack to compliment my T1.

Anyone use one of these. The revisions they made on them sure look good. 22in stays will be good for me as im only 5'6. But im wondering about the suspension.

Im only familiar with the wraptech suspension from my timberline. How do any of you who use the omni suspension like it? Will i be able to take the thicker belt off my t1 and put it on the spike camp? Will i be able to haul 30-40lb load with relative comfort.

Also im wondering if the bottom material is doubled up like on the timberline series packs.

Right now iv narrowed it down to this or a t3.

Lastly does anyone have any pictures of kifaru's coyote brown in use or in natural light?

Any insight is appreciated otherwise ill just have to call kifaru and ask some questions.

Last edited:
The t3 is only saving a 15.5 oz vs your T1, I wouldnt think that would be worth another 566$. The spike camp is a little lighter and saving you 23oz at 372$ seems, maybe reasonable. I dont think at 30 lbs you would have a problem with many packs. If you are really thinking of dropping 500+ dollars I would think the KU3700 would be the best option. Personally though 500 dollars could buy some other more purposeful gear. I for one could live with dangly straps on a T1 vs saving 1-1.5 lbs and upgrade my spotter, binos, scope or something else, just my .02 cents

OP
L

Lawnboi

WKR
I just want something smaller and more streamlined mainly. Weight isnt a super big concern. And the T1 compresses great, but with 1/4 - 1/2 full loads i cant help but want something a little smaller that tucks in my back a little better.

And with UL stays the spike camp is pretty light. Saves 8oz and brings it down to 3lb 10oz before i throw 3 pockets on.

I thought about the KU packs but decided i want a little more durability. The 1lb difference just isnt enough to justify the difference in durability.

The money probably could be spent a little smarter.... but i really want a day/weekender pack because until next fall.... that is what all my trips will consist of. Its near the top of my list for things to buy.

Plus after this i will not need another pack for a long time.... or until kifaru comes out with anther one that i want.

I guess I havnt ruled out the KU 2200 either. Too many choices!

Last edited:
I have owned 3 Spike Camps over the years and a T3. The newest one however is MUCH better than the older models I owned. Especially the new longer stays. It does NOT have a double thick bottom but was never an issue. As far as the Omni Suspension goes. It is EXTREMELY comfortable. I remember the first one I purchased. I was like "damn this thing is thin". But the width and design simply works and works very well. Absolutely no need to try and put a bigger belt on it. I have had 50+ lbs in mine with comfort even though I never had shoulder lift. I can only imagine how much better they are now with the longer stays. The T3 is a Spike Camp with all the etra pockets, double thick bottom, Wrap Tech Belt, and 24" stays. I would call the Spike the best day pack and the T3 a SUPER day pack+.

Last edited:

dotman

WKR
I just want something smaller and more streamlined mainly. Weight isnt a super big concern. And the T1 compresses great, but with 1/4 - 1/2 full loads i cant help but want something a little smaller that tucks in my back a little better.

And with UL stays the spike camp is pretty light. Saves 8oz and brings it down to 3lb 10oz before i throw 3 pockets on.

I thought about the KU packs but decided i want a little more durability. The 1lb difference just isnt enough to justify the difference in durability.

The money probably could be spent a little smarter.... but i really want a day/weekender pack because until next fall.... that is what all my trips will consist of. Its near the top of my list for things to buy.

Plus after this i will not need another pack for a long time.... or until kifaru comes out with anther one that i want.

I guess I havnt ruled out the KU 2200 either. Too many choices!

Ok I know you are really wanting to upgrade your optics, why not get an eberlestock X2 and save the rest of the cash for optics? Once you have your optics and a few years of using the X2 sell it and get a spike camp or whichever one you like at that time.

sk1

WKR
I know it's not a kifaru but I'll agree with dotman that eberlestock is a nice little daypack I've found mine very comfortable even with 40lbs in it

Might be worth a look unless your dead set on staying with a kifaru option

OP
L

Lawnboi

WKR
Id rather spend a little more and get what i know ill be happy with from the getgo, and i know eberlestock and my body dont work well together, another reason im stuck on kifaru is the modularity and ability to expand my space for overnight trips. dotman is right though, I do need new optics.... but I wont need them till next fall. (and i decided just to get cheaper vortex and save the rest for trips) No more big trips this year for me. Decided it was time to buy my first new vehicle as it was the last big thing i need before i move out

It would be nice to have a day/weekend pack for shed hunting, scouting, fishing, working out, biking and snowshoeing; all winter, spring and summer, thats just my thinking

On second thought i better get new binos first, then get a pack.

sk1

WKR
Lol good luck you're starting to sound like me...want everything and waffling back and forth

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I have had both of these packs. I would go with the T3. The spike was always loaded to the gills, even on day trips. ..... I don't think they are double lined on the bottom like the T series.

OP
L

Lawnboi

WKR
Is the main bag of the T3 bigger than the spike camp? The numbers come out very similar if you dont count the pockets on the t3.

My plan is to use the spike camp with 2 belt pockets on the pals webbing and a KU e&e strapped to the top, and id use the T3 in a similar manner, except throw the e&e on the back over the 2 small pockets which i wouldnt use. My thinking is that with the spike camp, i can configure the pockets however i want, rather than having a few that dont really get used all the time like on my T1

Im having a harder time picking a pack than i did buying a new vehicle lol

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Lawnboi, I didn't have them at the same time. The main bag had to be close to the same size. If your going to add pockets either would be fine. I just hate have sh@# hanging off my pack. Good luck, I hate back packs.:) I think I have had 20 plus packs over the last 10 years.

Is the main bag of the T3 bigger than the spike camp? The numbers come out very similar if you dont count the pockets on the t3.

My plan is to use the spike camp with 2 belt pockets on the pals webbing and a KU e&e strapped to the top, and id use the T3 in a similar manner, except throw the e&e on the back over the 2 small pockets which i wouldnt use. My thinking is that with the spike camp, i can configure the pockets however i want, rather than having a few that dont really get used all the time like on my T1

Im having a harder time picking a pack than i did buying a new vehicle lol

The T3 main bag is a spike camp but with double material on bottom. I am an organization person so I like the Timberline packs. However if pockets are not your thing, You also have the Late Season Legacy which is an awesome pack.