Kifaru Stryker + Camp Bag for backpack hunt?

Roksliders,

The Stryker has clearly been a popular choice for treestand hunters hauling awkward loads and such. I'm curious to hear folks take on using the pack for backpack hunting. For context, I'm running a Woodsman now and it's worked great in daypack mode but can feel a bit crammed multi-night backpacking hunts/trips. I've made it work using a guide lid and belt pouches but it's still a pretty tight fit. I'm not married to the idea of even using the Kifaru camp bag -- I know OR makes a 55L drysack and SG has their load shell. I'm debating selling the Woodsman and picking up a 44mag or Stryker as a dual-purpose backpacking/day pack. The 44 seems to get mixed reviews for compressing down in daypack mode.

Anyone have experience using the Stryker + Camp bag for overnight trips? If so, is there anything you dislike about the setup that you wish you would have known beforehand?

I appreciate it. Thanks

I'm interested in others opinions as well on this setup. Just sold my eberlestock and ready to upgrade. I want a pack centered around day use but have the option/room for overnight trips.

gil_wy

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been running a similar set-up for years with a SG Krux and a MR Hitchhiker (~2000 cu/in). I’ve never felt hindered by this set-up by putting items on the load shelf. I’ve done 8 days comfortably this way and the setup is a dream as a day pack.

GMC

Lil-Rokslider
If you like the woodsman but feel it's a bit small at times why not just bump up to the reckoning? Almost the same bag only bigger and compresses down to nothing just like the woodsman.

prm

WKR
The Stryker came out after most of the seasons had ended so I doubt many have used it for back country hunts. I have used both a MR Mule and a Kifaru Nomad II on back country hunts. These two packs are used in a similar manner to the Stryker. I’ve also hunted with a Reckoning and other large bag packs. The extra bag, a 55L OR dry bag for me, is used for hauling camp in and out with the Stryker/Mule/Nomad II. I also had an old Eberlestock that was designed to use a separate, removable bag for hauling large volumes. The Stryker/Mule/Nomad II pack bag holds all my day hunting gear. The meat goes on the shelf for quick loading and holding weight close to my back while keeping my gear separated in the bag. I prefer the single bag on the Stryker to the two bags of the Nomad II. I did not prefer the Reckoning, way too much extra unused material during the day. The Stryker compacts down better than the Nomad in day mode. The Mule does have more space between the bag and frame due to the shelf being lower. I’m referring to the distance from the shelf attachment up to the top buckles that secure the bag. This allows for potentially more volume when hauling camp in. Edit: I’ll sort of retract that last sentence... the design of the shelf is different. The Stryker attaches much higher, but is much longer from the connection to the bag. This allows for more flexibility of positioning the load. The higher attachment point of the shelf of the Stryker will allow you to place a heavy load in a better position. The Kifaru manages heavy loads better all around. A bit rambling and a long way to say, yes, the Stryker should work very well for extended back country hunts.

Last edited:
I just bought the following set up: Tactical frame, camp bag, Stryker. In my mind, and I'm new to hunting but been in nature for a wild, but in my mind, this has got to be one of the most versatile set ups anywhere. Expanding/contracting is only rivaled by the Fulcrum, but in many other ways, I feel this set up is superior. Even hauling wood for extended stay camping (my main pleasure) is made much better but extending the Stryker, carrying larger longs then smaller, all horizontally. Drop camp bag (sleeping bag, cooking gear, cold weather clothes unused at the moment, tent, and stove) in one fell swoop. Can beat it. I hope you go for it.

Norske

FNG
Does anyone have any pictures of the stryker with a sherman and lid? I'm not sure if I want to go that route or use a bane. Which would be best to carry a bow on the back?

Drenalin

WKR
Bump. Just looking for some more feedback on this if anyone got out for spring bear with a Stryker + camp bag/dry sack. For those that are using a similar setup, are you hauling meat out with camp or making multiple trips? I'm considering this for smaller game like deer, and am curious about the logistics of bringing everything out in one trip since you're already committing your "meat shelf" to a big bag full of camp gear.

dmess

FNG
I have the Stryker and camp bag and couldn’t get it to work well for me for a base camp setup. I was hoping to have my camp on the camp bag and my kill kit and day bag stuff in the Stryker. With camp bag stuffed full the Stryker sits about 2 feet behind you. You feel like a turtle. It’s very narrow. I added the nomad type bags but they don’t connect well for that set up. I gave up on it for a camp bag and use it as my shed hinting day bag. It hauls awkward loads really well. My advice would be to grab the Hoodlum it packs down super tight in day mode and run an organizer lid with your day kit in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve tried the cargo panel and camp bag set up for back pack hunting and didn’t care for it. Great in theory but practical application was sloppy and tedious. Way too many straps to worry about. The load had to fit just right to feel secure on my back. Spent way too much time dropping the camp bag the rescuing everything for day mode then again when rearranging everything to get camp packed up and on the move again. I much prefer a big bag (like my AMR) that has fewer moving parts and goes from huge to flat to huge again in a few strap cinches and buckle releases.

I converted my camp bag to a drawstring closing so I could pack upwards, and found this made the striker sit straight up and down, rather than sort of bent across the bottom part of the camp bag. You lose 1/3 of the initial 3600 c.i. (#?) With the roll top. I get the full amount. I hope kifaru offers this a an optional closing for future camp bags. Then I just run a normal lid ($10 on closeout section of kifaru, old colors like mandrake which I think best matches my ranger green) and cinch the frame to the lid and the striker to the lid, which holds the tall load stable. I then run two straps on either side from Stryker to frame, the upper one straight across and the lower one at an angle. I found the is a good way to run it. Pardon typos using horrible tablet

Maybe not 1/3 loss, I'd say 1/4 certainly 1/5. Rolltop just didn't work for me. It took maybe 40 min to feed a piece of paracord through and I used the drawstring pincher from my urban ruck, tied a knot and melted the cord ends, works great. Best of all is not just the added space but the way my Stryker no s

So Ive had a couple trips using my Stryker. In short, it works. But it's definitely not ideal. I'd rather have a little bigger bag and keep the weight closer to my back. Plus by the time you add your basic sleep system and a cook system it fills up quick.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Have you tried strapping the sleeping bag to the bottom of the pack? I found it helps the entire pack stand upright easier, and with the typical straps from kifaru I can strap any size. I put my sleeping bag into my bivvy and my heavy duty parka on top, then roll them all into a single bundle, then put this into a stuff sack. 25% of my gear is then on the outside. Yes though, Stryker system has some issues. True

Winters Kamp

Lil-Rokslider
I used my Stryker and camp bag on a 5 day hike and camp in the Wind Rivers mountains.
I’d run the camp bag any day of the week. It’s a basic bitch bag with no fancy bells or whistles. I especially love roll top bags because you don’t need to worry about breaking zippers.
Here’s a vid I made on how I set up my pack.

Oh, what's up man? I watch your vids all the time. I'm subscribed. Personally I turned my roll top into a drawstring bag because I was tired of losing something like 1/4 of the bags c.i., and it works great especially when I run a standard Kifaru lid (sale for $10 lately). I just can't stand to take the c.i. loss for rolling it down. I even run my bag and parka outside so I can maximize space inside. I am realizing I might have just done better with a larger pack, but I like the Stryker and camp bag set up too much.

Yes, wow it sticks so far out from your back. That probably wasn't too comfortable. I do t run anything too heavy in my Stryker, save that for my camp bag, and I build up with a lid and down by running my bag on bottom. I'm too short to run it like you did, I would literally topple over. I'll try to post a pic of my pack configuration when I can. I don't use any lid like the bane though

Yes, wow it sticks so far out from your back. That probably wasn't too comfortable. I do t run anything too heavy in my Stryker, save that for my camp bag, and I build up with a lid and down by running my bag on bottom. I'm too short to run it like you did, I would literally topple over. I'll try to post a pic of my pack configuration when I can. I don't use any lid like the bane though
That was a 3 day scouting trip, packed for comfort and optic heavy. Yeah it sucked but the hike in wasn’t too bad and most the stuff got dumped once camp was set up. Took everything I had on that pack and stuffed it into the 44 with room to spare though, it’s much bigger than I was expecting.