Kifaru Stryker vs Updated Mystery Ranch POP Up

USMC22

WKR
Can someone shed some light on these. Live in the north east. Trying saddle hunting next fall. Primarily use hang lone wolf right now, I won’t make it out west until the kids get older and I’m sure there will be new innovative stuff by then. Thanks for the input.

jmazz

Lil-Rokslider
I just moved back to the Northeast after living out west for the past 10 years. I own a Kifaru 24” Tactical frame with a couple bag options. I brought it up into the tree stand a couple of times but it’s a little too much so I switched to an extra assault pack style backpack I had.

I didn’t carry in a stand this year and that might’ve changed my opinion. I’m looking at trying out saddle hunting too and want something that can haul climbing sticks. I think I’m going to pick up a MR Popup 38 as soon as they’re available with the hope that they’re what I’ve been looking for.

Don’t know the Stryker but have been down the mystery ranch road. FWIW the styker is a better comparison to the MR mule than a pop up. Small bag + cargo panel on a full size frame.

90% of my hunting is NY and PA. Lots of day hunts. I bring more and more gear to stay warm and comfortable once temps drop. Sometimes a climber stand strapped to the outside or sometimes I haul in portable ground blind camo screens. Conditions vary but 2/3 of the time I am in a place where dragging a deer out solo isn’t an option. As you will see below, I tinker with my gear line up a lot...

I looked for the best “daypack that can haul a quartered deer” option for the last few seasons.
- I started with a mystery ranch crew cab, similar to the mule but one a NICE frame and more pockets. It worked fine.
- I bought a 26” kifaru fame and a reckoning. Added a woodsman bag but quickly decided I didn’t like the 26” frame and put it on a 22” frame. It worked fine.
- never got to a point that I preferred the kifaru fit over mystery ranch and I got a deal on a Metcalf. Sold my way out of the kifaru stuff and added a pintler to the stable. It worked fine.
- bought a pop up 28. It is awesome as a daypack and adequate as a meat hauler.
- I swapped out the Metcalf for a sawtooth on the newer frame.

These season, I used the pop up until it got so cold I needed more bag to hold layers. Switched to the 45 liter sawtooth sometime in November.

Both are great packs and there is some overlap. The pop ups are heavy for what they are but the feel much smaller and more nimble on your back. However, they don’t carry a load as well as a full size frame pack.

If you want a full size hauler with a small bag the go Stryker or mule. It you want a daypack that can handle the occasional heavy load them the pop up is a great option. If I only had one it would be the mr sawtooth for sure. However, since I have the option for two, I will stick with the pop up and will likely upgrade to the 38 L when it rolls out. A 30 liter bag just fills up too fast once I start hauling lat season comfort gear.

Lochtsa71

Lil-Rokslider
I own both and the short answer is Kifaru hands down.
If you can swing the increased cost, I would go with the 22 tactical/stryker setup.
The pop up 28 has a place, but it just can't beat the versatility of the options Kifaru has to customize and build off their frames.

Here is the pop up 28 and the 24 ultra light with the Stryker side by side for size comparison.

Attachments

• 20200121_173150.jpg
    20200121_173150.jpg
    265.4 KB · Views: 270
Honestly I’m floating in this exact boat as well. For the price, you can get a pop up 38 and a mule bag, or a kifaru Stryker. I’ve always wanted a Kifaru because Aron just seems like an awesome guy and I would love to support him. But for the same price you could get two bags and a minimalist frame, which could haul meat for the trip or two you take out west.

Lochtsa71

Lil-Rokslider
That's a good point Trey,
That's why I won't part with the 28, it has many uses and situations where the full size frame could be overkill.
I'm curious how or if the mule would attach. The current mule model goes on the old MR Ranch frame and the pop up frame is it's own beast.
That would be a great option to have the mule and pop up at your disposal.

I would like to see the mule attach to the frame as well. I know it does for sure, I asked on the mystery ranch website and they confirmed that the mule will fit on the new pop up frame.

Since you have time on your side, I'd say try both if you can and see which one fits you better.

Felix40

WKR
I have a kifaru and a pop up. For smaller animals like deer I think the pop up is my preference. The only caveat would be if I was packing a stand in for a couple miles. Deer just arent big enough that I feel like I need the better frame of the kifaru unless I had to carry one pretty far or wanted to carry one out whole. The pop up is much less of a hassle in timber and you can actually look up to climb a tree while wearing it. If I could only have one it would be the kifaru but most of my hunting is more backcountry. If I wasnt backpack hunting I would pick the pop up.

All of that said, before I got the popup I carried several whitetails out whole and its hard to beat the efficiency of that. I think kifaru nailed it with the stryker

Last edited:

22Jdub

Lil-Rokslider
The pop up seems like a great pack, MR packs are solid in general. I just set up a stryker with two medium belt pouches for saddle hunting and I think it is going to be perfect. I have it set so I can access all pockets while hanging. Should work great at for any other type of hunting as well be it from the ground for whitetail or heading out west.
746bb30cb3714e62720347b3bf16d599.jpg
fd99a50dbc4c3dfc354013f251c67621.jpg
827996a6103faf7b0a572452e812b9b4.jpg

I kind of feel the Stryker is almost over kill? Looks awesome for the pack out once successful but looks like a big pack to just have sticks and a platform on? Treestand I can see. Man I’m torn between these. I think a pop up frame with a the new mule pack would almost be perfect.

22Jdub

Lil-Rokslider
I kind of feel the Stryker is almost over kill? Looks awesome for the pack out once successful but looks like a big pack to just have sticks and a platform on? Treestand I can see. Man I’m torn between these. I think a pop up frame with a the new mule pack would almost be perfect.

If the saddle platform and sticks is the only thing you'll ever use is for then yes the Stryker is a little overkill. But if you want something multipurpose to be able to easily carry a tree stand, ground blind, chairs etc when needed or go out west, that's where the Stryker makes the most sense.

bhartman

FNG
Does anybody have any pics with a LW assault and Stryker. I do run and gun down here in NC and have looked some of these packs to make hauling gear in and out easier. And has anybody practiced going up the tree in one trip with the Stryker or is that type of pack to cumbersome to maneuver up in a tree

22Jdub

Lil-Rokslider
Does anybody have any pics with a LW assault and Stryker. I do run and gun down here in NC and have looked some of these packs to make hauling gear in and out easier. And has anybody practiced going up the tree in one trip with the Stryker or is that type of pack to cumbersome to maneuver up in a tree

I will try and take some pics with an assault on it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sharpshot

FNG
I own both and the short answer is Kifaru hands down.
If you can swing the increased cost, I would go with the 22 tactical/stryker setup.
The pop up 28 has a place, but it just can't beat the versatility of the options Kifaru has to customize and build off their frames.

Here is the pop up 28 and the 24 ultra light with the Stryker side by side for size comparison.
Old post I know but since you have/had both pack do the buckles work together from either company?