Kifaru Stryker XL and Extended Hunts - Camp Bag Alternatives?

ChrisAU

WKR
The Kifaru sale got me, hard. I have a duplex lite, Stryker XL, camp bag, and Sherman on order. As well as a bunch of other stuff, but for the purpose of this thread I'll leave it at that. I'm digging the idea of stashing camp between the Stryker and the frame and then day hunting with the Stryker against the frame. I did get the camp bag, but I'm thinking it'll be pretty big and heavy for most of my western hunts, 5-7 day range. I've been getting everything I need in a Kuiu Ultra 4000, so the 1950 of the Stryker + 500 of the Sherman will be plenty for day hunt mode, wondering what alternatives you guys are using to stash camp between the pack and frame? Most of the big items (tent, pad, quilt) have their own stuff sacks and I could just stack them in there? Or I've also looked at the SG Dry Cell and some options from Z Packs.

Drenalin

WKR
I just got a Sea to Summit Lightweight Dry Sack, but thought pretty hard about the ZPacks option. Even with the 35L, I'd be hard pressed to get sleep system and food in the S2S.

I have loaded up a weeks load with the camp bag, SG dry cell and sea to summit big river 65L for different situations to test them out. I went with the camp bag in CO. In order to make the dry cell work, I had to put my sleeping bag on the shelf and the dry cell on top of that and cinch it down. The big river has the volume, but that thing is BURLY. Probably need to look at 40L and up. The XL mashes the camp bag down to size and it really isnt as cumbesome as you might think. On the original stryker it would stick out a bit more, but with the XL longer shelf, it definitely works better.

Mitten32

WKR
When I had a stryker I used the 55L outdoor research dry sac. I'm not sure if they make those anymore but I'm sure there are similar options. It's a great option for keeping gear dry in nasty weather as well as keeping blood out of your pack. This year I used the 55L dry sack with my muskeg. Just placed the games bags inside the OR dry sack and into my bag it went. Packed out three elk and a mule deer never once had issues with blood leaking out. The Cordura of the camp bag will be more durable in the long run, but I like the versatility of having a large waterproof dry bag.

also..... welcome back to the dark side haha

Wright406

WKR
I've used the SG dry cell for extending into 5 days. I have 1 small belt pouches and one large on the outside of the XL. Wish I would have a Sherman picket though.

prm

WKR
I've used the OR 55L dry bag and it's about perfect. There are some newer light weight versions as well. That is enough for me packing in for ~5 days CO 1st rifle. Place your day hunt items (first aid, kill kit, misc. stuff, purification, hat/gloves, etc.) in the Stryker, and all camp in the dry bag. To free up space, I have placed my sleeping bag to the bottom of the Stryker on occasions when I packed extra stuff for whatever reason. Overall, a very simple and easy system.

Last edited:
OP
ChrisAU

ChrisAU

WKR
I got the Zpacks Pack Liner and man that thing is huge, and only 1.8oz. I don't see my camp ever filling up that thing. Almost ordered a smaller one but figure I can just roll this one down. Still waiting on my Stryker XL and camp bag, I'll play around with various setups to figure out what I like.

Shraggs

WKR
Chris, maybe mute but I feel in using my Stryker and original camp bag - which works fine - a dry bag that isn’t round would be preferable. Just easier to lay it, then fold the top over. The flat to flat vs flat to round big is finicky is all. Of course two compression straps on back panel dove that too. Reply SG load cell, I think osprey and sea to summit both have such rectangular shaped bags. Be easier too to tailor size ie 20 l or 40 l to your hunt.

prm

WKR
^^^agree. I load my cylindrical dry bag into a more rectangular shape. Want to keep the bag as close to my back as possible. The old Eberlestock camp bag really fits nicely.

HoytHntr4

WKR
Curious how many days guys are usually getting out of this set up with running the Stryker + Dry bag? How comfortable is it? I’ve seen some complaints that it puts the weight too far out and can get awkward.

OP
ChrisAU

ChrisAU

WKR
Chris, maybe mute but I feel in using my Stryker and original camp bag - which works fine - a dry bag that isn’t round would be preferable. Just easier to lay it, then fold the top over. The flat to flat vs flat to round big is finicky is all. Of course two compression straps on back panel dove that too. Reply SG load cell, I think osprey and sea to summit both have such rectangular shaped bags. Be easier too to tailor size ie 20 l or 40 l to your hunt.

The Z packs bag is more rectangular:

I just picked up a Stryker XL, gotta ask I like idea of using it for extended hunts, but filling up the load shelf with your gear in a camp bag or something rather, Doesn’t that eliminate bringing out meat? Because at the point you now have to room for it. Would be nicer to keep gear on the outside of the bag somehow.

Only asking this because I’m trying to figure out my setup with this pack. Day huntin is easy but multi-way with a small pack isn’t!

OP
ChrisAU

ChrisAU

WKR
I just picked up a Stryker XL, gotta ask I like idea of using it for extended hunts, but filling up the load shelf with your gear in a camp bag or something rather, Doesn’t that eliminate bringing out meat? Because at the point you now have to room for it. Would be nicer to keep gear on the outside of the bag somehow.

Only asking this because I’m trying to figure out my setup with this pack. Day huntin is easy but multi-way with a small pack isn’t!

I’ve made do for a few years now with just a 4000ci bag. Always just put a load of meat in the bag, stuffed whatever else I could in, and then lashed stuff to the outside. Multiple trips of course. I do plan on running a Sherman on my Stryker that will allow me to stuff stuff between the Sherman and Stryker if needed.

Reactions: DDR

prm

WKR
I can only speak for myself, but if I’m really hauling meat I’m not hauling camp too. At least not a significant amount of meat. There are limits to the Stryker in that that regard I suppose, just doesn't apply to me. I can get a deboned bull in two very heavy (for me) loads, or more typically three. That includes antlers, but not the hide. Hide is heavy. Sounds like you could use a pack with a bag big enough for all of camp, and a meat shelf in addition to that.
Edit: in a pinch I could toss some meat into the dry bag, or under it, and get camp out. Perhaps after I‘ve eaten a lot of my food. With meat, I am weight limited, not volume.

Brook trout what was the wait time for you to get your Stryker. I'm going to be ordering the Stryker XL and the 26" lite frame in the next few days.

Brook trout what was the wait time for you to get your Stryker. I'm going to be ordering the Stryker XL and the 26" lite frame in the next few days.
Took 9 business days, I’m up central BC. Didn’t take long even with the flooding and washouts we’re having in southern B.C. right now

BAKPAKR

WKR
Like @ChrisAU, I ordered the Stryker XL and Sherman Pocket during the sale, and I just put it on my frame tonight. I think it will be perfect for day hunts. The bag itself is actually larger than I was expecting. With my 55L OR dry sack on the load shelf, it should work fine for a few nights out.