Kifaru Stryker

VAHunter01

Lil-Rokslider
Are these designed to work with guide lids?

I’m not able to tell from pictures if the attachment points/straps will work well when using both.

WTFJohn

WKR
Are these designed to work with guide lids?

I’m not able to tell from pictures if the attachment points/straps will work well when using both.

As a general rule of thumb, any Kifaru accessory will work with any of their packs. The guide lid attaches to the top of the bag/frame where the load lifters do, and will buckle to the common loops/stitching on the bottom of the bag (below the grab handle).

This is what I settled on: Stryker bag with 2 Xpac belt pouches (one medium, one large).
Still deciding what to put on the waistband. Pistol holster, bugle tube holder and maybe a small belt pouch.... still deciding.

1582743930800.jpeg1582743777904.jpeg1582743951171.jpeg
1582744273942.jpeg
1582744296926.jpeg

Attachments

• 1582744232698.jpeg
    1582744232698.jpeg
    274.3 KB · Views: 100

Bender

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
VAhunter, you can attach any of our lids to this pack. There are tabs all over the top and the tracks on the bottom of the main bag work well for the bottom lid comp straps.

TCos

FNG
This may be a dumb question, but how would you mount a gun to the Stryker if you intended to use the back to haul meat and the front to attach storage pouches?

WTFJohn

WKR
This may be a dumb question, but how would you mount a gun to the Stryker if you intended to use the back to haul meat and the front to attach storage pouches?

Kifaru Gunbearer on my hip or a Sherman pocket hanging off the back.

prm

WKR

I use a Sling Keeper. It works great. Not mounted per se.
DF355F4A-8829-4D80-B769-66849BA13D8A.jpeg
C4C8458D-1B56-4038-8688-6265EB0E862E.jpeg

TCos

FNG
I'd use a sherman pocket
Do you have any experience hiking through back country using a Sherman pocket to secure a weapon? It seems like it would be a lot of swaying/movement with nothing securing the bottom of the sherman pocket. What about if you encounter serious brush busting or having to navigate significant obstacles like boulders and/or downed trees, etc.

Is there any concern that the rifle would be unstable in those situations?

As far as the sling keeper goes, my first thought was that I wouldn't want to hike with the barrel in front of my face like that, but with it mounted going the other way, that looks like a much better solution to me.

I use a Sling Keeper. It works great. Not mounted per se.
View attachment 159509
View attachment 159510

Does having the weight on one side for long periods of time get cumbersome or tiring? Did you install that yourself? Is there anything securing the butt of the rifle? Or does it just hang?

Thanks for the info! Trying to decide if a stryker + camp bag set up would be suitable for a 5 day backcountry Idaho rifle hunt. I primarily hunt the midwest, whitetail and turkey hunting, but I would like to take a couple trips out west every year for Elk. I'm looking to set up a system that would allow me to hike in, set up base camp and branch out for day hunts from there while also being suitable for carrying tree stands/hauling out meat midwest.

Last edited:

prm

WKR
I use lightweight rifles so it’s not an issue. But I do occasionally secure the chest strap to keep strap from moving and to balance things. I did install myself. All my packs have one now. Nothing is holding the butt, however it remains surprisingly snug. If you have added pockets low on the pack or on the rear of the belt they might interfere.

I will be using my stryker for 5+ day backcountry hunts. I’ve used both the Nomad II and Mystery Ranch Mule (and a variety of other packs) for the same hunt using a camp bag (OR 55l bag the last two years and an Eberlestock spike duffel years ago) so I know it works. In fact, I had emailed Kifaru after my 2018 hunts and described to them what I was looking for. Not suggesting my email influenced anything, but what they created in the Stryker is exactly what I was looking for. I believe this pack is perfect for me. Haul camp in, slim down for day hunting, haul out meat, and then haul out camp. Not too bulky or a lot of extra material while hunting, yet capable of hauling large volume loads with a separate bag, and able to keep meat separate from daily hunting bag contents.

Last edited:

bsnedeker

WKR
Thanks for the info! Trying to decide if a stryker + camp bag set up would be suitable for a 5 day backcountry Idaho rifle hunt. I primarily hunt the midwest, whitetail and turkey hunting, but I would like to take a couple trips out west every year for Elk. I'm looking to set up a system that would allow me to hike in, set up base camp and branch out for day hunts from there while also being suitable for carrying tree stands/hauling out meat midwest.

You could easily do 5 days in a stryker and camp bag in my opinion. There are lighter options but that is a VERY versatile setup.

WoodBow

WKR
If your barrel isnt super long and you arent hiking through thick cover, you could get by with running your rifle cross ways between the frame and the molle panel sleeve thingy. Not ideal when hiking around other people probably. But it would work in a pinch.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Do you have any experience hiking through back country using a Sherman pocket to secure a weapon? It seems like it would be a lot of swaying/movement with nothing securing the bottom of the sherman pocket. What about if you encounter serious brush busting or having to navigate significant obstacles like boulders and/or downed trees, etc.

Is there any concern that the rifle would be unstable in those situations?

As far as the sling keeper goes, my first thought was that I wouldn't want to hike with the barrel in front of my face like that, but with it mounted going the other way, that looks like a much better solution to me.

If I hadn't tried it, I would not have suggested it. I particularly don't prefer the sherman for carrying a gun. I like it accessible. Yes, it is going to hang lower like in a scabbard. But, you should use another strap to secure the end of the action/beginning of barrel to your pack. Which keeps ot from flopping around. It does hamper setting down. It does hang down and makes crossing things different. But you asked for a way to secure it to a pack. Not the best way to carry a gun while wearing the stryker.

I'd rather use the kifaru gun sling. The gun is secured to the belt and a shoulder strap. The gun barrel in front is the way it is designed and, it works very well. I had my doubts until I tried it too. But, it is pretty much flawless in design and function.

VAHunter01

Lil-Rokslider
Is everyone still pleased with their Stryker?

I think one would make a great companion to my Mountain Warrior.

I think it will work better for what I had in mind when I bought my Rambler.

Very pleased. You can throw a sandbag in so easily. It is going to take about 3 min to load up an elk quarter or two and be on the go. I loved my apollo but it was a pain having to undo the load lifters and reattach them.

From yesterday with the Stryker.

9f6bc2786e0402acc939bbda2b5de8e5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VAHunter01

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the pic.

Yea I plan on putting bags in mine quite often too, in the off season. It’s hard to run or climb much with a 4 year old, so I figured I’d just load up on weight and go at his pace.
Looks like a winner.

Really contemplating one of these Strykers to be an alternate to my Woodsman. We usually dayhunt elk in CO, so the woodsman is overkill, though it does cinch down nicely. I'd like a more streamlined setup for working through that blasted low tangled Oak Brush. To buy or not to buy, that is the question, while quarantined.