Kifaru Super only or para with annex?

ncstewart

WKR
Looks like these two both fit in my budget but not sure which way to go. If you could choose between the two for an archery elk hunt which one would you take?
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DeepMauka

Lil-Rokslider
For sure SuperTarp then. I have a ParaTarp. I have an annex and stove and run both if I know it is going to be raining a lot or cold. It's small, but much larger than my Big Anges Fly Creek1, which was my go to shelter for a while.

Anyways, if I was in your shoes, the SuperTarp would be my choice. It is a one person is a castle. I don't mind crawling into the Paratarp, but the SuperTarp is at least a foot wider and like 4 feet longer....not being much heavier than the ParaTarp relatively. You'll have plenty room down the line for a stove and to stash some wood.

As for running the SuperTarp without an annex, I've been in some gnarly unexpected storms with no annex and my ParaTarp and slept dry (with borah bivy).

bbrown

WKR
I agree with DeepMuaka - I have owned 2 different annex's for my SuperTarp but sold them both as they just don't get used for my style. The SuperTarp is so versatile with how it can be pitched and provides a ton of room for the weight. I had the ParaTarp originally and it was perfect for an emergency shelter but got pretty small when pitched tight to the ground. If I am heading in later in the year or expecting poor weather and plan on bringing a stove then I will typically take a bigger enclosed shelter like the SO Cimmaron where the extra room and height are worth the minimal weight penalty.

When possible choose your camp spot and pitch the SuperTarp with the entrance next to a natural feature like a rock outcropping or larger pine tree to provide some extra protection from the wind and elements.

Lawnboi

WKR
Just my opinion but Iv run a para a lot. I'm a smaller guy so I fit in it. I like it not only for its versatility, but smaller size, sometimes finding a spot for these castles is tough.

Anyways, I had an annex and stove, IMO neither is worth it for a shelter this size, more pain than it's worth. My setup is a paratarp for run and gun trips or trips in warmer weather. the stove and annex become a pain in that now your stove, and wood are packed up right to the door, makes egress difficult. Yea it heats the shelter but you don't have the room, or the heat to really dry stuff. Unlike the larger shelters, not much pipe is inside the shelter, just the box, making it warm at the front and cool at the back. I think the stoves have much more value in a little bigger shelter, and in places your not constantly moving camp.

The shape of the kifaru tarps is awesome, and they will stand up to a lot when pitched tight to the ground, but experiment with other pitches, the beauty of the kifaru tarps is not only in their standard a frame setup. If your a bigger guy and plan on pitching the normal way every time, I'd suggest going bigger.

For what it's worth this year archery season I'll be running a paratarp with a borah bivy, light and compact, and easy to move daily if needed. I also have a cimmaron that will stay home.

Read1t48

WKR
For you guys that are familiar with the MountainSmith LT, what is the benefit of the SuperTarp, aside from weight?
I picture the LT about the size of a Kifaru Mega (bigger than the super) in a 2# package. What am I missing?
I have a larger kifaru but not their smaller ones.

bbrown

WKR
The Mountainsmith LT is a great bang for your buck especially with the "annex" built in and still pretty light weight. Other than the weight penalty, the Kifaru build quality, materials and warranty are solid. But the biggest advantage to the SuperTarp over the LT for me is the fact that it can be pitched flat or elevated which is how I use it most times.

Just my opinion but Iv run a para a lot. I'm a smaller guy so I fit in it. I like it not only for its versatility, but smaller size, sometimes finding a spot for these castles is tough.

Anyways, I had an annex and stove, IMO neither is worth it for a shelter this size, more pain than it's worth. My setup is a paratarp for run and gun trips or trips in warmer weather. the stove and annex become a pain in that now your stove, and wood are packed up right to the door, makes egress difficult. Yea it heats the shelter but you don't have the room, or the heat to really dry stuff. Unlike the larger shelters, not much pipe is inside the shelter, just the box, making it warm at the front and cool at the back. I think the stoves have much more value in a little bigger shelter, and in places your not constantly moving camp.

The shape of the kifaru tarps is awesome, and they will stand up to a lot when pitched tight to the ground, but experiment with other pitches, the beauty of the kifaru tarps is not only in their standard a frame setup. If your a bigger guy and plan on pitching the normal way every time, I'd suggest going bigger.

For what it's worth this year archery season I'll be running a paratarp with a borah bivy, light and compact, and easy to move daily if needed. I also have a cimmaron that will stay home.
So you run a paratarp in warmer weather, but what about nastier weather, what do you like? Just curious, as I am trying to build my own system. Thnx

Skickat från min E5823 via Tapatalk

Brendan

WKR
Paratarp is my emergency or lightweight shelter which it's great for. But, I also have a Sawtooth and a 2 person backpacking tent that I can use.

If I was picking one shelter, it wouldn't be the Paratarp for me - too small. Maybe the Supertarp or even something Tut sized

Lawnboi

WKR
So you run a paratarp in warmer weather, but what about nastier weather, what do you like? Just curious, as I am trying to build my own system. Thnx

Skickat från min E5823 via Tapatalk

Had a 6 man tipi, currently running a Cimmaron.

The paratarp, cimmaron, 2 man nest and a bivy covers me for all foreseeable situations, here at home or places I want to hunt. For me and the wife, or solo.

That said, the paratarp, and a bivy can endure some nasty weather. The tipi/mid is nice though for real nasty weather along with being the minimum size I would personally run a stove in.