Kifaru Super Tarp

Brent111368

Lil-Rokslider
Who loves this shelter, good or bad? I am currently using a Big Agnes Copper Spur 1 and love it, but might be looking for something that is easier to go up and more spacious. Looking to go super mobile this year and an easier to set up shelter might just keep my lazy ass moving locations. looking to adopt the "keep moving until you find elk". I will admit I am very guilty of setting up in the back country and never moving camp, just beating the bush for elk, find nothing, and return to camp. This year we are looking to leave camp with everything on our backs and hunt until we find elk or find darkness, set up a quick camp, and repeat. This super tarp would be used just by me, hunting partner has is own shelter. What is the good and bad with this shelter? Have always thought about it, but never did buy one. I have done floorless in the past, and no problem with floorless. Used a Paratipi in the past, hated that thing, configuration was garbage in my opinion. Who is loving the Super Tarp?

Thank You

Clovis

Lil-Rokslider
I wouldn't think a Supertarp would be easier to set up than a dome tent and if that one is light, you won't come out too far ahead once you add in a groundcloth or bivy and stakes. That said, the Supertarp is versatile--it can be anything from a buttoned up hot tent to basically an open-sided tarp, palatial room for one, adaptable to the terrain and light. I like the low profile color too. These days I find myself reaching more often for a 10x10 flat tarp when solo but will always have a soft spot in my heart for the Supertarp and have spent many nights in one.

I've found the same thing regarding weight. A tarp with all additional stuff to make it a good 3 season shelter isn't enough lighter for me to change shelters. I do carry a Zpacks pocket tarp in my pack as an emergency shelter, glassing shelter, etc. 5.2 oz.

I love mine, early season I leave it open, late season I close it up with an annex. It packs down to nothing and has kept me comfortable on cold windy nights at 9k feet.

RyanCmns

WKR
I love my super tarp the only downside in my opinion is the annex can be a pain in the ass if you haven't practiced setting it up. recently I started using a mega (most of january) I love the extra room and the annex is built in so for me it's easier to set up. All of my hunting is solo If i had a pardon I'd go for the mega hands down and split the weight.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
good little setup for the young and nimble just enough room for one no real downsides outside of no room to move around and dry stuff if your wet will be tough to dry out simply due to size E29446B8-16BB-42DA-B209-D33E399E40F4.jpegB510EB6C-F27C-4A68-8050-855924C1FBCE.jpeg83587C7C-5AC4-41C3-8E7B-1B668B177195.jpegand setups about anywhere

Phaseolus

WKR
You might want to take a look at the SeekOutside Silex or Eolus. I went from the DST Tarp to the Eolus, same weight, much better storm coverage. The silex is a bit smaller than the Eolus.

Jotis

WKR
You might want to take a look at the SeekOutside Silex or Eolus. I went from the DST Tarp to the Eolus, same weight, much better storm coverage. The silex is a bit smaller than the Eolus.

Jotis

WKR
This will be my first year using the super tarp. I think it will work great for what I need it for

rbljack

WKR
I used it last year on my solo deer hunt. Spent 3 days in it with a small stove. I like the fact I can cut tree branches for poles and still use my trekking poles if needed, so that's a plus. Set up is fairly straight forward, and easy. Ive considered switching to a mega, but with that said.....for your intended purpose the Supertarp might be the way to go. Another plus for your application is that it would serve dual purpose. When moving place to place, you can also use it to get out of a rainstorm as a semi flat tarp, or a frame style if you keep it on the outside of your pack and accessible. The mega can probably do that too....but I have no experience with that one.

BTW...I just saw a Supertarp/Annex combo for sale on here as well.