Kifaru supertarp vs paratarp?

I've been looking at the supertarp and paratarp. I want a tarp shelter primarily for the weight and the ability to use a stove. My current tent is an REI passage 1, which is narrow and heavy (4 pounds). Is the size of the supertarp worth the extra money? Seems like the extra weight isn't a big deal. And for tarps in general are all the extra stakes needed a hassle in rocky ground, and are the weight savings noticable after adding stakes, rope and bivy or ground cloth (I would use trekking poles or sticks)? Thanks in advance

nodakian

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I keep trying to like my para, but after spending this past weekend in it, I recommend the super. I’m 5’8”, and it’s just too cramped for my taste. My home built super is going on my Boy Scout backpack trip this summer.

24 ounces with the annex and 35 ounces with all the stakes feels a bit on the heavy side for what it is (tarp shelter). Are you using this somewhere that has severe weather?

There are other options that weigh less and don’t require as many stakes. You may have to get a stove jack sewn in on some of them, but they are also way cheaper than the super tarp to start.

OP
G
I keep trying to like my para, but after spending this past weekend in it, I recommend the super. I’m 5’8”, and it’s just too cramped for my taste. My home built super is going on my Boy Scout backpack trip this summer.
Thanks, how'd you make one?

Yes, I'll probably want to use a stove.

I'd probably use this winter camping in addition to elk hunting. I usually go when the weather is nice though. The stove would be a morale thing, not a necessity.
Definitely seems like super is the way to go, at least between para and super.

ozyclint

WKR
I had a super tarp until one of my cows pushed it's head in the entrance and ripped it somewhat down the ridge seam. After I repaired it, it now has the same size front as a paratarp but retains the length of the supertarp.

Go the supertarp especially since you mention you want to use a stove.