Kifaru Supertarp vs Sawtooth

Hinagea

FNG
I was hoping you guys could help with some questions I have on these 2 shelters. Most of my time spent in the woods is just me and my 50lb pup. And thus far I've managed without a stove. However that is a huge draw for me with floorless shelters. It seems most guys are running the tarp without a stove and those that do seem to have some issues with it not producing enough heat to dry off gear or fully heat the tarp. I guess that's because most of the chimney is outside the tarp? Moisture can be a real problem in the PNW where I spend most of my time. Then there's the fact that the wife comes along occasionally and I'm not sure how that would work with our dog and stove all included. So I've been looking at the sawtooth which is a bit on the heavy side for one person as well as having a large footprint. I have seen the SO Hitch which would drop 2lbs from the sawtooth with using trekking poles for the center and a stick in the rear. Have any of you tried this and how does it hold up? I feel like it's too much for just me and the dog, and the supertarp is too little for when all 3 of us come. Please send help lol

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super tarp great for one and not needing to dry stuff out simply not enough room to do so.....for the pnw and often wet and messy look to the sawtooth or cimarron to have better flexibility and room to dry out....the weight penalty is well worth it in our environment.....of many wet days🤙 I spent a few wet days in my supertarp it sucked and moved on

Attachments

• 0A712420-21DC-4F97-B4EF-D8AA8D9B27C4.jpeg
    0A712420-21DC-4F97-B4EF-D8AA8D9B27C4.jpeg
    446.5 KB · Views: 88
  • 8091BD75-D530-4687-B152-FB851FD007F8.jpeg
    8091BD75-D530-4687-B152-FB851FD007F8.jpeg
    112.3 KB · Views: 84
  • 3F9266A2-73C0-43B8-BBDE-56321A844BFC.jpeg
    3F9266A2-73C0-43B8-BBDE-56321A844BFC.jpeg
    515.9 KB · Views: 89
  • DA4CEC98-2B6F-4AC7-BA18-A8294BC8B65D.jpeg
    DA4CEC98-2B6F-4AC7-BA18-A8294BC8B65D.jpeg
    673.4 KB · Views: 89
  • C3257DE3-824D-42B5-9845-2C79E07C2353.jpeg
    C3257DE3-824D-42B5-9845-2C79E07C2353.jpeg
    1,012.9 KB · Views: 89

reaper

WKR
I don't think either shelter mentioned here are a good option.Both need two poles and using the seekoutside pole hitch with the sawtooth is not a good idea I have tried and if you got serious winds its to dangerous.If you want less problem with condensation than don't buy a kifaru,there is no vent anywhere other than open'up the zipper and this zipper don't go all the way to the top so...

IMO,what you need is something in the middle of all this...a seek outside Cimarron Light(not the dyneema)with liners or a seek outside 4 man tipi with liners,you can also just use one liner when you're solo.

Envoyé de mon Pixel 4 XL en utilisant Tapatalk

Last edited:
You want the Kifaru Tut.....as soon as they start making it again.

Big enough for two plus stove and gear (or dog) and light enough for solo use.

rbljack

WKR
I have used the sawtooth, supertarp, and megatarp at some point or another. The supertarp would be ok for just you and maybe the dog, but not enough room for you the wife and the dog. For that.....the sawtooth would be your best option of the two you mentioned. And Id add the liner to the sawtooth if your going that route. What wasn't mentioned was the Megatarp. That might be the best compromise for when its just you....you and the dog, or all three of you. Just a thought. With the mega tarp, you can have the dog on one end, the stove on the other, and still have room (but snug) for you and the wife. That option would be lighter than the sawtooth. I haven't used the tut myself, but as mentioned above....that might be another option worth considering if more height is a requirement. Good luck

OP
H

Hinagea

FNG
I have used the sawtooth, supertarp, and megatarp at some point or another. The supertarp would be ok for just you and maybe the dog, but not enough room for you the wife and the dog. For that.....the sawtooth would be your best option of the two you mentioned. And Id add the liner to the sawtooth if your going that route. What wasn't mentioned was the Megatarp. That might be the best compromise for when its just you....you and the dog, or all three of you. Just a thought. With the mega tarp, you can have the dog on one end, the stove on the other, and still have room (but snug) for you and the wife. That option would be lighter than the sawtooth. I haven't used the tut myself, but as mentioned above....that might be another option worth considering if more height is a requirement. Good luck
I was thinking about that too. I think the biggest problem with the tarps is going to be condensation, and then drying things out. Which I've read isn't so great in them

rbljack

WKR
I was thinking about that too. I think the biggest problem with the tarps is going to be condensation, and then drying things out. Which I've read isn't so great in them
As they say...the struggle is real...LOL. That is why I suggest if you go the sawtooth route, add the liner which will help cut down on the condensation issue getting you wet. It still happens, but the liner decreases the problem and keeps the drips off you and your sleeping bag, etc. I carried the sawtooth and liner on a solo hunt for elk in 2018. It was heavy, but having the room was nice. Speaking of room...another thing to consider in your selection is the footprint of the shelters. Depending on terrain....a larger footprint can be a problem when trying to set up in tighter areas with lots of trees, brush, etc. You might want to look at something like the Seek LBO set up. You can change the configurations depending on who goes with you. Just throwing ideas out there for ya.

I learned pretty quickly that having some stand up room in my Tut was well worth the “weight penalty”. Using the Super Tarp and Mega Tarp was great for light weight set ups but after standing up to get dressed or having a chair inside to relax there’s really no way I can go back to either one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mavinwa2

WKR
Res WA ST, winter>Gilbert AZ , NR>AZ, UT, NM, CO.
I pondered almost the same quandary. Considered a Sawtooth as I had a Paratipi already, sold the Megatarp. The Mega would touch top of my head when I was on the ground/Tyvek seated in the middle, bothered me. Yet the Sawtooth is a bit big for going solo. After using Tut 1st time, sold the ol' ParaTipi.

Settled on a Tut as I'm mostly solo and like my space, interior like a solo palace! And if need be, it sets up fast!
Basic set 4 corner stakes, center pole, <5min. Then set other 4-side stake loops and stake out 4 upper guy-out lines. Got caught in squall once seeking a decent camp spot. Quick set was nice getting me out of the rain fast. Set other stakes, lines later when rain subsided. Been in some heavy wind no problem but seek a spot with wind protection is best.

Use option of small wood stove, yet lighter carry weight & single pole than Sawtooth. Good stand up room at Tut center for my height 6-1", although still crouch a little bit. With double zipper design, I can open from the top if need more stand up room to get dressed...if not inclement weather.
My little Zero backpacking chair is very comfortable to sit in the tent, lots head clearance.

Had a custom made 1/2 liner done for the Tut. My sleep setup is under the 1/2 liner coverage. Condensation happens & can be minimalized with zipper positioning or open air space (see image) left under tent edges. However 90% of time, tent edges are staked tight to ground. At least for me the condensation drips or runs down the unlined side and no runs/drips on the liner side/half of the Tut.

Get the wood stove going, it dries off any condensation very quickly in minutes, dries my clothes too on a paracord hang line that I setup for that purpose.

Attachments

• 2020.Tut pic 1.jpg
    2020.Tut pic 1.jpg
    614.8 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
I added 12” of cord and line locs to every stake loop and have the option to run my Tut 6-8” off the ground. Haven’t had an issue with condensation since.

Do you think they'll ever make the megatarp again?

That’s a tough call. My gut says no. It’s been way too long since it was made to think it’s coming back.

Calling Aron or the shop would be a much better source of accurate info though. I’m nothing more than a fan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sadler

WKR
I’ve had both. I much prefer the sawtooth. I like standing up and stretching out. The Supertarp is ok but I hated crawling longways into my shelter, especially when it rains.

Last edited:
OP
H

Hinagea

FNG
Does anyone have experience with the supertarp in snow? Something like 6" maybe a little more overnight?

rbljack

WKR
Does anyone have experience with the supertarp in snow? Something like 6" maybe a little more overnight?
I didn't have the supertarp with me, but have done a backpack elk trip where we hiked in and there was 12 inches of snow on the ground and I used the sawtooth. Tried to clear out an area with my boots and tamp down the rest by walking around. After that, Tyvek on the ground. I can say it was hard to stay in one spot on the Tyvek and sleeping mat. It was like a slip and slide in there all night because I wasn't on level ground...LOL

I don't have any experience with most of the mentioned shelters but do have a three man tipi that I'm quite fond of. It's plenty of room for my usual solo trip, or me plus my burly labrador. I've done multiple days with another guy out of it, having our gear inside. The lady and I both fit with a stove but packs get hung outside.

The one combination I can't do is my dog and my stove. For me, that's a disastrous recipe. That might vary with other dogs or larger shelters.

I spent a couple nights this fall in a Tut with another guy. The first night the wind ripped and we must not have had it staked super well because the fabric flapped all night.

I've wanted a sawtooth for a long time but it seems to have a few draw backs that keep the money in my wallet. Anymore, the seek outside tips get most of my window shopping attention.

ianpadron

WKR
I use a Supertarp almost exclusively during the early season when my wife and pup (70# golden) are with me. PLENTY of room when the weather is decent and gear loads are modest. Typically pitch it about 4" off the ground to maximize space and air flow.

Add nasty weather or colder temps and my Sawtooth gets the nod 100% of the time, even when it's just me. No way I'd want 2 adults and a dog plus a stove in the Supertarp, total shitshow guaranteed.