Kifaru T2 comparison

Ozz08

WKR
For the guys that have handled or own a t2 and have had any experience with the eberlestock blue widow pack... How do the main compartments of the bags compare?

The main compartment of the eberlestock when it is collapsed mode is smaller. When it is fully expanded it is about the same size, maybe a hair larger. The kicker between the two packs is the functional load lifters of the kifaru and its ability to carry massive amounts of weight comfortably for half the weight of the blue widow. I had a blue widow for about 3 days and returned it.

dotman

WKR
Blue widow is a great pack, i sold mine to upgrade to a kifaru but kind of wished i played with it some more. I think with very little mods you could purchase kifaru carbon stays and not only drop some weight but have working load lifters. I think the bw comes with 22in stays, kifaru sells stays for $60 that go up to 26in.

a3dhunter

WKR
Blue widow is a great pack, i sold mine to upgrade to a kifaru but kind of wished i played with it some more. I think with very little mods you could purchase kifaru carbon stays and not only drop some weight but have working load lifters. I think the bw comes with 22in stays, kifaru sells stays for $60 that go up to 26in.

The longer stays won't fit in the BW without modification, and even then not sure it would give you the same benefit as a pack designed for longer stays.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I agree with ohhiitznik on the size. The BW is a great pack in design. I could never get it to fit right. It was a great pack under 40#. But once I loaded it up, It always dug into my lower back. To me its like comparing a Corvette to a Cameo. Both will get the job done. One is just more comfortable:)

cmeier117

WKR
Ryan hit on the big point and that is comfort. Yes the stays on the Timberline are higher and you have functional lift. But, to be honest they are not even close in terms of comfort and load hauling. Your question about main compartment size, the T2's main bag is 3400 Cu inches. I don't know if that helps but it is plenty big for fitting elk quarters and whatever else you need to carry.

OP
O

Ozz08

WKR
Thanks for the replies. I've had a blue widow for a couple years now but I'm getting ready to order a t-line just deciding between the t1 or t2. I don't need a huge pack I just wanted to make sure the t2's main bag was at least as big as my blue widow's before i order. I like the size of my blue widow and I haven't experienced a lot of the discomfort issues a lot of people have but I do have a bit of a problem getting the load lifters to function. I mainly want to upgrade for the weight saving. My blue widow is heavy.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Let me add, I think the BW is a very nice pack for the money. It is very tough and very functional. Its biggest downfall is weight. The BW I had is still going strong. I sold it to my friend and he beats the hell out of it. I think it has pack out 7 elk. But with that said, once you put on a Kifaru pack, you will not want to roll with the BW anymore:)

Lawnboi

WKR
Ill throw in my 2cents. I have a t1 now, but i had a bw. I couldnt get the bw comfortable on me past 40lbs. Under that and it was ok. The t1 is comfortable with 80lbs which is the most iv had in it so far, and im sure beyond that. I didnt develop strawberries on my hips with the TL, and on one trip the BW rubbed my hips to the point of bleeding.

I also dont really like the way the BW expanded, Seems fully expanded, it felt akward. With all the straps on the TL tightened it feels like its part of you, solid!

The suspension is really the reason i bought it, but 2lbs of weight savings was nice. I wouldnt consider it too much of a weight gain though. But again we are talking from going from a 4500 (seems less than that w/ all the pockets) to a 7000+CI pack.

If you really want to save weight i would too look at the KU packs. I may own one of them in the future!