Kifaru Tahr setup

Hey group, I finally got my first Kifaru setup in a Guidelight frame and Tahr bag. I’m trying to figure out which external pouches to use for organization and to obviously expand the size of the rig.
I’ve got my eye on a Shape Charge Pocket to put on one side and one medium Belt Pouch and one or two small Belt Pouches to put on the opposite side.
I have already added a Guide lid and Grab-it to hang off the back.
Will what I’m planning work on the Tahr?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I don't think you are going to hang a shape charge off of one side...

The beauty/purpose of the Tahr is to be simple and light weight. Just because there is a space to add a pocket doesn't mean you have to.

Only add what you need to. Only you can make that determination.

OP
Haulinbass02
I don't think you are going to hang a shape charge off of one side...

The beauty/purpose of the Tahr is to be simple and light weight. Just because there is a space to add a pocket doesn't mean you have to.

Only add what you need to. Only you can make that determination.

I get that, but the honest truth is, I’m trying to get setup with this pack not really knowing what I need yet. My main concern is having to dig thru an entire main pack worth of stuff just to get at something smaller in the very bottom. I guess the alternative would be to pack some of those things in a pullout bag instead, which I guess I just had a revelation about.
On edit, I am talking about a Shape Charge pocket, not a day bag.

Last edited:

cullenz

Lil-Rokslider
I get that, but the honest truth is, I’m trying to get setup with this pack not really knowing what I need yet. My main concern is having to dig thru an entire main pack worth of stuff just to get at something smaller in the very bottom. I guess the alternative would be to pack some of those things in a pullout bag instead, which I guess I just had a revelation about.
On edit, I am talking about a Shape Charge pocket, not a day bag.

I run the argali (bigger version of the Tahr), and I typically run a medium and a large pouch on the back. I'll put my gloves, beanies, snacks, TP, etc in those pouches for quick access. The other setup I'll use is a spotting scope pocket on the back (not sure they are selling those anymore), and a medium pocket on each site at the bottom.

Bender

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Morning Bass. Just to clarify, are you using the Mystery Ranch Guide lite frame or our Lite Duplex frame for this setup? The Shapecharge pocket is narrower than belt pouch but could go on the side of the Tahr with enough zip-ties or paracord. It's a Molle pocket going onto our Belt pouch matrix so you'll have to improvise. Our old Spotting scope pockets will go onto that matrix as it's set up (no zip-ties required). You can also get the Large Compression Pocket, some K clips and a compression kit and use the tabs on the back to create a Nomad wing of sorts coming off your frame. Works well for securing a rifle and covering the action / scope. With the LCP's you can add Nomad style wings to any framed pack or run one by itself on the back of a Duplex frame as a training bag. Feel free to shoot me a PM if you have any questions.

OP
Haulinbass02
Morning Bass. Just to clarify, are you using the Mystery Ranch Guide lite frame or our Lite Duplex frame for this setup? The Shapecharge pocket is narrower than belt pouch but could go on the side of the Tahr with enough zip-ties or paracord. It's a Molle pocket going onto our Belt pouch matrix so you'll have to improvise. Our old Spotting scope pockets will go onto that matrix as it's set up (no zip-ties required). You can also get the Large Compression Pocket, some K clips and a compression kit and use the tabs on the back to create a Nomad wing of sorts coming off your frame. Works well for securing a rifle and covering the action / scope. With the LCP's you can add Nomad style wings to any framed pack or run one by itself on the back of a Duplex frame as a training bag. Feel free to shoot me a PM if you have any questions.

It’s a Guidelight I bought used from a member here. I wasn’t sure if the attach method was the same on the Shape charge pocket. While improv is a good skill, it isn’t something I like to do unless absolutely necessary as a last resort. The LCP might be a better option unless I can find a spotting scope pocket somewhere.

ZDR

WKR
I set up my Tahr with a Kifaru Meduim pocket on the top and a grab-it when I want to take my doorgunner along. It works very well like this. Have also added a large pocket in lieu of the grab-it a few times. This combined with the medium pocket gives me great organization for the little things/or items I need frequently.

Bender

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Never tried to attach our bags to their frame before but plenty of guys on here have made packs work on multiple frame systems.

I had a Tahr for one season. I put two large pouches on the back and had a guide lid.
Attached is a photo with those attachments on the bag and I also have an elk quarter between the bag and the frame. In the photo my pack has all my stuff from a 4 day backpack hunt in it or strapped to the outside.7B0AB58B-A7F7-4FBC-8A07-3C58291A80FE.jpeg

I've been down the road of trying to use a smaller bag with pockets and pouches hanging off of it and found I prefer a larger bag with fewer accessories attached. It was a hot mess when I finished adding every pocket I needed to fit all my stuff. The larger bag actually weighed less and had less moving parts and in the end that worked better for me.

Shraggs

WKR
I still run a tahr and love it! Was going to accessorize it, But the beauty is it’s simple.

light weight day bag Capable of 3/4 days easy. I bought a reckoning for longer or colder weather for more room.

I have 2 small belt pouches. Either a grab it or a Sherman for extra room. Also can add the OGL with three pockets, if more than 3 days but usually don’t.

I put pouches on the sides but did not like it all! In day mode with nit much in bag, and with side compression only you’ll compress the pouches too for easy access.

I didn’t like a lager pouch on top either. If unzipped crap falls out if not closed right.

I’m glad I got tahr, cause it really forced me to think about the order in which I load a bag based on what I use or need more. Plus smart use of smaller bags, or not.

I have bags with lots of organization, and I like that, but I wonder if it’s just faster to open top if tahr and grab what I need.

Filter, is left side under my puffy... done.

I've been down the road of trying to use a smaller bag with pockets and pouches hanging off of it and found I prefer a larger bag with fewer accessories attached. It was a hot mess when I finished adding every pocket I needed to fit all my stuff. The larger bag actually weighed less and had less moving parts and in the end that worked better for me.

This is something I never understood with "bug out bags."

When reviewing bug out bag setups on YouTube, most people have as much stuff hanging off the outside of their pack, as they have inside their pack. Makes no sense to me. I never understood why people just don't buy a larger pack, one that will actually fit all required gear inside.

OP
Haulinbass02
My main reason for doing ANY outside pouches is mainly for small stuff not to get lost or buried in the deep bag. Also, potentially to put my spotting scope on the outside. I probably should load up the bag with a typical 3 day load out and see where I stand. I might get away with pullouts but I’m big on organizing so I know where stuff is.

jmazz

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Tahr and hunted a lot with it a few years ago (live back on the East Coast now so it doesn't get used as much). My go to setup with the Tahr was 2 medium belt pouches down the center and a guide lid on top. I'm OCD about packing the interior of my packs so that I can find whatever I need in the dark so the large top load compartment didn't bother me. If I wasn't using the guide lid, I would attach a large belt pouch to the top flap.

I kept my food for the day in 1 medium belt pouch with the rest of the food for the trip in the main compartment. The other belt pouch had my first aid kit in a Kifaru medium pullout. The Guide Lid held my kill kit, phone battery pack and any CW layers that I might want quick access to.

I have 2 medium belt pouches, 1 large belt pouch, 1 small belt pouch and the guide lid still if you wanted me to put them all in a certain arrangement to see what the setup looks like.