Kifaru Tailgunner help

ohoopee

WKR
I plan to run a Tailgunner as a scouting pack. Sub 20lbs of gear. Do I need an Omni waist belt?

Thank You.

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would certainly get a belt if I planned on having 20 lbs in it-in fact I would consider the belt just as important as the shoulder straps at 20lbs. I had one of the earlier versions of the Tailgunner but found I never used it much and sold it.

OP
ohoopee

ohoopee

WKR
I will seldom have 20 in it. Maybe a spotter a little water and some light gear. Going to try and
stay light. Will be hot summer weather and no belt will keep me cooler. I was planning on using
my sitka ul shoulder bag or my cuben fiber bag to keep waist pack as light as possible.

I'm not sure if this applies with the new shoulder straps on the TG1, but I found the pack is more comfortable to wear with just the belt and no shoulder straps.

Sealee12

Lil-Rokslider
In my opinion, the belt is mandatory and the shoulder straps just stabilize the load and allow you to be more mobile.

OP
ohoopee

ohoopee

WKR
What are the suggestions for pouches? My plan is to run small water bottle pouch
and a Mini pouch on one side and a medium or large belt pouch on the other.

Thank you.
Ps I miss the old Kifaru forum site.

wesfromky

WKR
I never had a belt with mine, and ran it pretty often, though mostly without that much weight in it. I didn't order a belt with my scout, so will see how it holds up with some heavier loads before buying one.

I had a medium belt pouch on the front and a water bottle holder on the side on mine.

Kotaman

WKR
I use my Tailgunner as a tree-stand pack. I ditched the belt a long time ago and will not go back. Just gets in the way for tree-stand use. I didn’t even order a belt with the Scout. If I’m gonna carry a load, I’m not using this type of pack anyway.

mavinwa2

WKR
Res WA ST, winter>Gilbert AZ , NR>AZ, UT, NM, CO.
yes, buy the Omni belt.
you will not like 20-lbs on the Tailgunner. Been there, done that.
my Tailgunner now is my fishing pack, using both shoulder straps and shoulder sling option a plus for that.

the Scout will be my treestand pack, short hike/scouting/glassing trips. Hoping that handles 15-20lbs better.
my 22-Mag does fine, but in hot weather, don't want a full packframe for those little scouting trips or if up in a tree.

OP
ohoopee

ohoopee

WKR
I picked up the belt and a water bottle pouch. While digging through my old Kifaru
trunk I found a couple older model " Kifaru Boot bags". Seems perfect add-on for
later season puffy jacket or pants.

Goatboy22

FNG
Use the belt on mine to pack a .45 and small belt pouch, medium belt pouch on the middle of the pack, couple of dump pouches (paintball ones on ebay) on either side of pack for 46 oz fat water bottles, mystery ranch hot shot pack lid clipped on top. I just use the sling to stabilize it and skip the shoulder straps. My backcountry fly fishing pack!