Kifaru Tarp Alternatives

Howdy All,

I’m looking for a new ultralight tarp for backcountry hunting. Does anyone have recommendations for one that isn’t $300+ and is comparable to Kifaru? I love their product, but I can’t justify that price for an ultralight tarp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Drenalin

WKR
Seek Outside DST

Seek Outside Silex

Mountainsmith Mountain Shelter LT

Not sure exactly what you're looking for (flat tarp, shaped, size, etc) or what your definition of ultralight is, but these are a few options. I've used and liked all three of these, but there are so many other manufacturers and options that are worth checking out. Set aside a good chunk of time and read back a couple years in this forum.

OP
P
Seek Outside DST

Seek Outside Silex

Mountainsmith Mountain Shelter LT

Not sure exactly what you're looking for (flat tarp, shaped, size, etc) or what your definition of ultralight is, but these are a few options. I've used and liked all three of these, but there are so many other manufacturers and options that are worth checking out. Set aside a good chunk of time and read back a couple years in this forum.

Thank you for the detailed response-It’s much appreciated.

To elaborate-I’m specifically looking for an ultralight, 2 person hunting tarp for overnight shelter (although it will only be used by me) I’d appreciate any recommendations on that.

Last edited:

Drenalin

WKR
Thank you for the detailed response-It’s much appreciated.

To elaborate-I’m specifically looking for an ultralight, 2 person hunting tarp for overnight shelter (although it will only be used by me) I’d appreciate any recommendations on that.

Any of those three will do it. I wouldn't put 2 people in a Silex (get the Eolus for that), but for one man and gear it's perfect.

The DST is "just" a 10x10 flat tarp with an abundance of loops for tying/staking out and a reinforced pocket in the center for trekking pole support (or tying up to a branch above). It's an awesome tarp - mine goes 21 ounces with five stakes and about 30 total feet of cordage, and it's $130. You can pretty much pitch any way you want to. More often than not, I'm grabbing the DST and a Borah Bivy.

The Silex is 21 ounces and a little under $200. You can buy a nest for the Silex, but I just used the Borah Bivy with mine during bug season. It's extremely easy to pitch and the zipperless doors work great. I think you can put a stove jack in a Silex if you want a hot tent.

The Mountain Shelter LT will fit two people, but in my opinion is ideal for one man with gear. You can find a used one for less than $100 and it'll weigh right at 32 ounces. The fabric is a little heavy (40D I think) so it's a pretty burly little tent. The one thing I didn't like about it is the entry is at one end and it's fairly long (maybe 13 feet or thereabouts). But for the price, it's hard to complain about it much. Some guys have added stove jacks, but there's no factory option for that. There's also no dedicated nest (but again, use a bivy if you need one).

You'll need trekking poles (or some kind of poles) to pitch any of these tarps, and the weights I listed above do not account for those. Also, you will not want to base your decision only what one random guy on the internet says - you'll get more advice on this thread for different tarps, and there's a lot of other information for you to explore.

Checkout the Warbonnet Ground Tarp. It’s 17-18 ounces, very well made, very roomy, and very versatile.

It can be pitched with all sides closed, two ends open, one side open, use as a sun shade/glassing tarp, etc etc.

OP
P
Checkout the Warbonnet Ground Tarp. It’s 17-18 ounces, very well made, very roomy, and very versatile.

It can be pitched with all sides closed, two ends open, one side open, use as a sun shade/glassing tarp, etc etc.

I’ll do that. Thank you!

magtech

Lil-Rokslider
I sewed one up out of sil poly. Lightweight, strong, customizable, and I use it for a bunch of stuff: shelter, hammock tarp, shade, rain block. Etc etc.

Cost me $75ish, and was a fun project.

Luked

WKR
Just got my Silex in today and I'm pretty impressed with it.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

300RUM

FNG
I use my dst for everything. Glassing, shade, shelter, family rzr rides, kid forts. We love it

HuntnPack

WKR
Seek Outside DST.
Multiple Uses, Multiple pitches,
1-2 person Shelter, Glassing Tarp, Shade,
Wind Break, Rain Cover, etc.
Add a Bora Bivy if needed.

I’m sure you’ve made your decision but I picked up a warbonnet ground tarp, used it this past weekend and it did awesome. 6+ hours of steady rain followed by 20-30 mph winds through the night!

OP
P
I’m sure you’ve made your decision but I picked up a warbonnet ground tarp, used it this past weekend and it did awesome. 6+ hours of steady rain followed by 20-30 mph winds through the night!
I appreciate you sharing your experience. I'll take a look at the Warbonnet-Thank you!

Voyageur

WKR
Lite outdoors out of Alberta makes a sweet 8x10 tarp for a super reasonable price.

@outdoor_matt
I've tried to access the Lite Outdoors website with no luck. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Edit: Tried to access their site a different time and this time was successful.

Last edited: