Kifaru Timberline 1 on a diet...

slim9300

WKR
Well I have had the first production Timberline for over a year now and I finally took the plunge. The pack has packed 6 elk and 6 deer and has been carried for countless miles both full and nearly empty. I figured I finally knew what I needed and what I didn't. Thanks to Aron's video I got the final push I needed to dial her in.

The only thing I cut off is the snow collar, sleeping bag divider, all the associated common loops and the larger plastic loops on the shoulder straps. I was pretty happy with the weight savings. My T1 with standard lid and aluminum stays weighs in at 86 ounces. The amazing part is that the pack only weighs 82 ounces with the carbon stays. Anyways, I figured my post might give some of you the confidence to cut up your expensive pack and save yourself a little weight. ;)

ryqeda4a.jpg

a6ebypyq.jpg

aje5ynuh.jpg

Man, I paid 860 dollars for this thing, now I'm cutting shit off?! hahaha. Yeah, I will put mine through the cutting process before next years go!

OP
slim9300

slim9300

WKR
Man, I paid 860 dollars for this thing, now I'm cutting shit off?! hahaha. Yeah, I will put mine through the cutting process before next years go!

LOL. I know how hard it is. That's why I waited a year. My memory is pretty short. I'm even thinking about buying a DT1 to give it a try. :)

JG358

WKR
Well I have had the first production Timberline for over a year now and I finally took the plunge. The pack has packed 6 elk and 6 deer and has been carried for countless miles both full and nearly empty. I figured I finally knew what I needed and what I didn't. Thanks to Aron's video I got the final push I needed to dial her in.

The only thing I cut off is the snow collar, sleeping bag divider, all the associated common loops and the larger plastic loops on the shoulder straps. I was pretty happy with the weight savings. My T1 with standard lid and aluminum stays weighs in at 86 ounces. The amazing part is that the pack only weighs 82 ounces with the carbon stays. Anyways, I figured my post might give some of you the confidence to cut up your expensive pack and save yourself a little weight. ;)

I see some more stuff that you could cut off. ;)

Lawnboi

WKR
How much did it weigh before you started cutting? The common loops, sleeping bag divider and snow collar will probably never get used for me. Im thinking about cutting those off mine. The only thing keeping me from doing this is the resale value if they come out with something different in the future. But if i can save a good chunk of weight it may be worth it.

OP
slim9300

slim9300

WKR
How much did it weigh before you started cutting? The common loops, sleeping bag divider and snow collar will probably never get used for me. Im thinking about cutting those off mine. The only thing keeping me from doing this is the resale value if they come out with something different in the future. But if i can save a good chunk of weight it may be worth it.

The total weight savings was about 8 ounces. That seems like a lot to me. :)

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Great stuff Slim!!! I think I'll keep my DT1 stock as its not my "lightweight" pack anyways, but my T1 is so I am thinking the sleeping bag divider and some common loops are going to get the axe. However, the snow collar is nice for me when I have WAY too much gear and I want it secured by more than just the top lid. :D

IMGP1275.jpg

Maybe I'll get crackin on this project sooner rather than later and see what it saves me (before and after)

OP
slim9300

slim9300

WKR
Great stuff Slim!!! I think I'll keep my DT1 stock as its not my "lightweight" pack anyways, but my T1 is so I am thinking the sleeping bag divider and some common loops are going to get the axe. However, the snow collar is nice for me when I have WAY too much gear and I want it secured by more than just the top lid. :D

IMGP1275.jpg

Maybe I'll get crackin on this project sooner rather than later and see what it saves me (before and after)

Every time I look at that picture I try not to laugh. It's truly amazing what you 'fit' in that pack. That must have taken a few packing attempts? :)

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Miller, all up it was 80 lbs going in. We went in comfy/heavy for sure!!! The boat/pump/paddles and pfds added about 25 pounds. The rest was fishing poles, rifle, spotting scope, tripod, and other things your really DON'T need for a 6 day adventure into the backcountry, but it was summer training so its ok. :D

Slim, the reason it is so tall and bulky is cause I just rolled on my first pack attempt, I am sure I could have gotten it more streamlined had I too the time to tame the beast. :D

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Well Slim, I bit the bullet this afternoon. Hacked off 6 oz to be exact, but kept the snow collar. Did away with the sleeping bag divider and its loops as well as the over the top strap as I forget to use it half the time anyways and the lid does just fine there. Also cut out the hydration bladder sleeve as well as I never use it for that and I can just have a silnylon dry bag to keep the sat phone and first aid kit in together and always leave it in my pack. Anyways it now weighs in a 5 pounds 4 oz with a standard lid and a KU possibles pouch on it. It came in at just under 5 pounds (78 oz to be exact without any lid at all) I think that'll work. Kinda fun hacking all the stuff I haven't used in the pack in the past 13 months since I have gotten it. Its packed out 10 deer, a sheep, 2 mountain goats, and a couple caribou in its life and I look forward to many more animals and miles in the future. :D

Also thinking about hacking off the side sleeves and just using KU long pockets so they can be removed when I don't need the space and they actually provide real cubic inches even with a stuffed pack vs. the sleeves. I've already used KU long pockets instead of the sleeves in the past to make for more room....but we'll see I guess. :D

Last edited:
OP
slim9300

slim9300

WKR
Well Slim, I bit the bullet this afternoon. Hacked off 6 oz to be exact, but kept the snow collar. Did away with the sleeping bag divider and its loops as well as the over the top strap as I forget to use it half the time anyways and the lid does just fine there. Also cut out the hydration bladder sleeve as well as I never use it for that and I can just have a silnylon dry bag to keep the sat phone and first aid kit in together and always leave it in my pack. Anyways it now weighs in a 5 pounds 4 oz with a standard lid and a KU possibles pouch on it. It came in at just under 5 pounds (78 oz to be exact without any lid at all) I think that'll work. Kinda fun hacking all the stuff I haven't used in the pack in the past 13 months since I have gotten it. Its packed out 10 deer, a sheep, 2 mountain goats, and a couple caribou in its life and I look forward to many more animals and miles in the future. :D

Also thinking about hacking off the side sleeves and just using KU long pockets so they can be removed when I don't need the space and they actually provide real cubic inches even with a stuffed pack vs. the sleeves. I've already used KU long pockets instead of the sleeves in the past to make for more room....but we'll see I guess. :D

Luke. Step away from the pack!!! ;)

You been pretty busy with your Timberline too. Lol. I would say 6 ounces is worth the effort. I don't think I would cut the side pockets. I use mine for my trekking poles and Sawvivor 15" saw.

Last edited:

bowuntr

WKR
I just took the Havalon to my brand new DT1.... took the top collar off, eight loops and the crisscross bungee off the front. I couldn't bring myself to cut the sleeping bag divider out. I think it might serve as a meat shelf and keep everything from settling to the bottom of the pack..... am I wrong? Ed F

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am all for trimming and lightweight packs, but.....if you are not 110% committed I would tell you not to do it. For this reason, can anyone tell the difference between a 30 pound vs 31 pound pack, 50 vs 51, etc. Kifaru makes the most comfortable pack for hauling heavy loads, 1 pound doesn't mean $hit in the totality of things. It is all good, but is more for making your mind feel good than your body. 1 pound is just not noticeable physically, but it certainly makes us feel better to have trimmed a pound off of them.