Kifaru Timberline 1 Pack Questions

Dan-o

FNG
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the forum and found my way here while doing some research on hunting packs on ArcheryTalk. I'm currently hunting with a Badlands Sacrifice but am looking to upgrade. I think I've settled on the Kifaru Timberline 1. It's probably bigger than I need 99% of the time, but the added weight of the 1 over the 2 or 3 doesn't scare me from getting the bigger one and just compressing it down, and having the extra space hopefully will come in handy some day when I'm packing out a 350" bull :)

A few facts:
- I'm a 39 year old flatlander from Ohio who has traveled out West to hunt Elk on guided hunts the last two years in a row (Colorado and Montana) and will be returning to Montana on a fully guided hunt this year again.
- I plan on hunting Elk out West somewhere every year until I die. After this year I will have three years of fully guided hunts under my belt. I may start doing a few DIY hunts where a bigger pack will be needed. I'm obsessed with hunting the West. I love it, and I can't wait to get back out there.
- Most of my hunts would be classified as Day hunts. However, I've spiked out for 3 days at a time on one hunt, but was packed in on horses to do so, but hiked out.
- I do backpack around the East as well as a way to get in shape for Elk season, so I'll use the pack here and there for that as well.

My questions:
- The one complaint I have with my Sacrifice is the noise. It's comfortable enough (although I've never packed out an Elk with it on....) and is lightweight, but the material is somewhat noisy, and as a bowhunter, it bothers me. Is the Timberline series of packs noisy like this or is it "quiet" cloth?
- Which lid option would you recommend? Standard, Long Hunter, or XTL? I couldn't find a good compare/contrast on the models
- Which stay option would you recommend? Ultralight composit flat black was my first instinct. Any reason to not go with this one?
- I do strap my bow on my pack. Do I need any additional accessories for that? or will my bottom cam be protected?
- Any other accessories I might need?
- How adjustable are the belts. I'm a 36" waist normally, but at my September Hunting weight I'm more like a 33"
- Finally, is there another pack you would recommend in or out of the Kifaru line?

Thanks in advance for any replies. I'd like to buy this one pack right and be done with worrying about this piece of my gear!

Dan

armyjoe

Super Moderator
Welcome to the site Dan-o.

Well thats quite a few questions so hope I can help you out.

- The pack is quiet and made of 500d Cordura. Not sure what "quiet cloth" is but the T1 is a quiet pack
- I use the long hunter lid but there are a ton of guys using the XTL - just depends on what your packing how you like to pack your gear
- SO for the stays there is one question to ask - do you have a normal back with a butt to hold the pack with the lumbar pad. If you do then the normal composite stays is what you want. If you have no ass at all to hold the lumbar pad then the flat back is what you want.
- Strapping your bow is easy with the Grab-It. Definitely get that accessory.
- Look at getting some pull outs and maybe a external pocket or two. This also is a personal preference on how you want to pack your gear. I have two mediums pockets, 1 small and all 5 pullouts. Helps to organize everything
- The belts are very adjustable but your around a medium. I'm a 34" waist and use a medium BUT during summer when I shrink a little to 33-32" waist I'd be maxing out the belt.
- Other packs - look at the Bikini frame with a DT1 pack. It gives you modularity to interchange packs in the future and also different accessories

weaver

WKR
First of all welcome to rokslide...im also from OH.

Have you checked out their bikini frame? A lot more versatile as you can run different size bags on the frame and also use it as a meat hauler with no bag.
I just run a standard lid but its personal preference. With a T1 you should have more then enough space without a bigger lid but it would offer more organization.

Stays depend on your back profile. Id talk to kifaru about it.
Youll probably want a small waist belt.

A grab-it works well for hauling a bow.

My bikini frame should arrive sometime this week. If you want to meet someplace and check it out just let me know.

OP
Dan-o

Dan-o

FNG
Thank you very much! By quite cloth I really just mean something that is quiet. Most of the Badlands packs I've used are quiet, but the Sacrifice is made of a different material to keep the weight down, and that introduced the noise.

Good info on the stays. I have plenty of ass to hold it up, so I think Normal composit is the way to go.

Thanks for the other info as well! I'm check out the DT1 with a bikini frame as well!

OP
Dan-o

Dan-o

FNG
First of all welcome to rokslide...im also from OH.

Have you checked out their bikini frame? A lot more versatile as you can run different size bags on the frame and also use it as a meat hauler with no bag.
I just run a standard lid but its personal preference. With a T1 you should have more then enough space without a bigger lid but it would offer more organization.

Stays depend on your back profile. Id talk to kifaru about it.
Youll probably want a small waist belt.

A grab-it works well for hauling a bow.

My bikini frame should arrive sometime this week. If you want to meet someplace and check it out just let me know.

Thanks for the advice! What part of Ohio are you in? I'm in the Cincinnati area.

Lawnboi

WKR
The packs are made of standard 500D cordura. Not the quietest but not noisy by any means.

My advice is to take the time to read and try to understand all your options with kifaru. Its a lot to take in and understand at first.

I owned a T1 and it was a great pack. Though I sold it and have a highcamp/bikini frame on order.

Regardless you cant go wrong, they are built very well and handle weight very well.

For holding a bow you will want a grab it and a lashing strap, this will protect your bottom cam. sometimes I add a little foam to the lower cam for a little extra.

OP
Dan-o

Dan-o

FNG
Thank you everyone for all the advice. I have one additional question, for now :) Any good dealers you recommend? Are there any forum sponsors I should support?

Thanks again!

Dan

OP
Dan-o

Dan-o

FNG
Kifaru does not have dealers, but you can call there sales rep and he will answer any questions you have.

Well that makes my question a rather silly one doesn't it! :) Thank you very much for the info!

OP
Dan-o

Dan-o

FNG
I'm leaning toward the Bikini frame and either the DT1 or 2 in multicam. Going to go with the grab it, a few pockets, and probably the long hunter lid.

What is the lead time for pack delivery?

Thanks!

Dan

armyjoe

Super Moderator
Dan-o

If you put your order in Angie from Kifaru will send you your invoice with the ship date. You can call her too and she can tell you. I'd bet your looking at 8 weeks

OP
Dan-o

Dan-o

FNG
Dan-o

If you put your order in Angie from Kifaru will send you your invoice with the ship date. You can call her too and she can tell you. I'd bet your looking at 8 weeks

Thank you very much! I'll be calling this week. I appreciate the info!

Nordic

FNG
My shipping date is 4/5/2013
The wait has been long... but it will soon be over...