Kifaru Urban Ruck

jhubbz

Lil-Rokslider
Looking for some reviews on the urban ruck for everyday use. I carry a backpack to work everyday and have considered upgrading. Let me know what you think about them.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Ive been using one for 6 weeks or so as an EDC bag. It replaced 2 bags and I am liking it. Ive used it hiking, biking off road and on road , and as a usual daily work and gym bag. It can also carry a bladder in the sorta hidden pocket closest to your back and the tube can be run out of the top opening no problem even though there isnt a specific "port". I am not running any insert and dont feel Ive needed one. Overall thumbs up.

WVTrooper

Lil-Rokslider
I've had one for about a month now and have no complaints. Like VH, I'm not running any insert in it and haven't had any problems. Carries my clothes to the gym, or a laptop for work.

OP
J

jhubbz

Lil-Rokslider
Appreciate the info. Having a place for a water bladder was one question I had. You both are running with no insert. I will be putting my laptop in there most days. Do you feel there is enough protection as is?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

WVTrooper

Lil-Rokslider
I had a laptop sleeve from an old code alpha bag that I use for mine when I take the laptop, but I also use dell's version of the Toughbook, so its pretty rugged. If I didn't have that, it would be just like carrying it around in a 500d sack.

dah605

Lil-Rokslider
I'm running mine with the Organizer slider. So far, I really like it. I've got the main body cinched down. The only downside to doing that is that it won't stand up by itself like my other computer-oriented packs. The pockets on the sides could be a little tighter to hold the Nalgene bottles a little more snug.

I used the pack while walking around the NRA show last weekend with a Nalgene in each pocket and my computer in the slider (being an IT guy means carrying that anchor almost everywhere). It carries the weight very well. I had to fight off Ryan and Tanya. If I let my guard down, I think they would have ripped it off my back... :)

-David

ethan

WKR
interested in this as well. I carry an iPad, and a notepad and a lot of the time a laptop for work as well. Maybe a folder or two sometimes. Any thoughts on how this pack will work for this?

WVTrooper

Lil-Rokslider
interested in this as well. I carry an iPad, and a notepad and a lot of the time a laptop for work as well. Maybe a folder or two sometimes. Any thoughts on how this pack will work for this?

You should have room to spare. Especially if you use the insert that will hold the laptop as it will put the laptop in the designated pocket. I just have mine in the main part of the bag as I'm not using a insert.

I bought one for my daughter to go to college with next year and she loves it. Her laptop is a touch to big for the slider but it fits in the sliders pocket. She carries 6 text books her notebooks and all of her other supplies. I did put a medium belt pouch on the back so she could fit everything. I don't know what it weighs but its dang heavy. She says it feels half as heavy as the same load did in her p.o.s. jansport. She carries it everyday all day long from class to class and she's only 5'1" on a tall day, the straps are almost to long but she doesn't care. I would recommend it to anyone who carries way to much book work but still like to be organized. You just can't go wrong with kifaru.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I've had the chance to really test this bag out for over a year now of almost daily mixed use. I hunted with it this season and it functioned great as a day pack. It has honestly replaced 2 or more packs and has exceeded my expectations. It was quiet enough while archery deer hunting and is tough. I have still not added any sheet to stiffen it but plan to try that out in the future. I'd buy this bag again no problem.

Mitten32

WKR
The draw string and buckle closure drove me nuts after a while for an edc pack. I find the antero to be much more user friendly for an edc pack.

Th Antero does look nice. I've thought about that pack but its $100 more which is on e of the reasons I went with the ruck . The draw string I rarely mess with and just leave it loose without loosing any items yet.

bimmer4me

FNG
Can anyone please chime in and let me know if the rear laptop section (without organizer) is padded? I'm just wondering if I need an organizer or padded laptop case in conjunction with this pack?

Bender

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Bimmer, there is a 1/4" closed cell foam sheet on the back but it is pretty simple construction. The Organizer slider was meant to be the part that really protects your computer but it is limited in which computers it can haul around. With laptops getting smaller and smaller, more will fit in there though. If you are going to going to roll without the slider, a padded case is probably a good idea.

The pockets on the urban ruck are stretchy at the top and fit a 40oz hydro flask without issue so I would guess they would fit what you want. I can try a nalgene and nested cup tonight and confirm.