Kifaru Urban Zippy vs Antero

TubbsTru

WKR
Looking for a simple scouting/day pack. Wondering if anyone has thoughts on Kifaru's Urban Zippy versus Antero. I like the classic look and organization of the UZ, but wondering about the back panel: looks non existent in terms of support/foam.

Thoughts?

Frito

Lil-Rokslider
The Zippy does have foam in the back panel but that's it. You can buy the frame sheet for it and that will stiffen it up. You're probably like me and just had to have the Kifaru, but for well over $300 after it's shipped and you get a hip belt or whatever, there are less expensive options that offer more in terms of versatility and capacity with matching quality. After owning the Zippy for a while, that's how I feel about it. I've handled the Antero and don't care for it either but it will offer you more support if you decide to transfer some weight to your hips. For just a little more scratch you could spring for the 14'r or Tarryall, and that's getting into the category of carry that Kifaru starts to really shine....in my opinion.

OP
TubbsTru

TubbsTru

WKR
I hear you on the 14'r. I've looked long and hard at it. I already have a hunting frame so feel set for carrying an actual load. My main purpose in wanting a pack like the urban zippy or Antero is for simple forays, quick hikes, running trail cameras, taking the kid out for the afternoon, etc.

For the uses you listed, I say the antero wins hands down.

The antero is a very simple design and it works great.

i don't have any experience with the antero but recently bought an urban zippy and for what you're describing i think it would be a good fit. mine has the omni frame sheet and i wouldn't use it without it. there is built in foam to keep things from jabbing you in the back but the frame sheet does a better job and it will make the bag stand up on it's own when you're loading/unloading. the zipper/pocket layout is awesome on the UZ. you can get to anything without moving stuff around or digging. i've got two young boys so when we head out to the park/fishing/zoo or whatever i can carry what they'll need. lately it's been pulling time chasing turkeys. come october it will be hanging in a treestand next to me.

IMG_20170326_134056712_zpswggmrlcu.jpg

IMG_20170421_100140912_zpsiezslqsp.jpg