Kifaru vs exo

Kucher

FNG
I am looking to see if anyone has made the switch between exo and kifaru backpacks? What do you like better and why? Thanks

MikeStrong

Lil-Rokslider
I tried both on before buying one and liked the way the Kifaru belt fit me better. Nothing against the Exo, it was just a fit preference.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Jbehredt

WKR
I’m with mike. Love my exo bags but the belt doesn’t cut it for me. I’ve got a slender waist and bony hips that the exo belt would rub. Kifaru on the belt alone was my final (for the moment) decision. Still running an exo 5500 on my tactical frame but eyeballing the 44mag.

cmeyer733

FNG
I just bought my second Exo - finally upgraded from an early 2015 pack. Love how simple everything is from storage to packing meat. very stable when loaded down, meat doesn't start sliding and falling out. Never owned Kifaru but tried a buddys on, its comfy, but too complicated IMO with all the different pockets/accessories.

Had the last gen Kifaru duplex with aluminum and ultralight stays and have a exo k2. Kifaru belt (tried 2 sizes) gave me hot spots on hip pointers, was more restrictive (not a big deal), and just didn’t carry weight as comfortably for me as exo.

This thread is just another example of different body’s working better with different frames.. hard to say what you would prefer. I like exo bags and meat shelf functionality better though.

JNDEER

WKR
They are greatly different frames, IMO. The original duplex is a beast, hunter frame folded like a taco, new lite frame (although i just got it recently and not tested it) seems like a balance between the hunter and original duplex.

first gen exo i really liked cause it twisted. Put 1/2 an elk inside and hike over deadfalls, not the easiest. 2nd Gen Exo with the latest belt was best of K2. Original k2 belt sucked and second k2 belt was about same as first generation belt on exo. I tested that heavily but ended on sticking with k2 and newest version belt over original exo.

what i like better? that's a general term. I hunt way more "still hunting" then spot and stalk. Therefore i went with a more "flexible" frame which was the Exo. Although the new Lite frame may fit that niche as well. I like the exo bag and only use the timberline bag (other lay outs I am not fond of). That general bag layout seems to work for all the type of hunts and hunting style i do. Although the new exo bag with the bladder holder/sleeve would be better than the first generation bags.

Ive own both and currently use a Stone Glacier with Xcurve Frame. For me and my deep lumbar the SG Xcurve frame carries heavy louds much better then Exo and Kifaru. The Xcurve just stays in place on your back and really keeps the weight off of your shoulders. Again, you just got to try each one out and decide for yourself. I bought all 3 and sent the other 2 back that I didn't like as much.

I can comment on the Kifaru, but prior to buying my Exo I did run through many other packs. For me it was the comfort and lack of weight that sold me on the Exo. I never leave the house to practice shooting, or hike without it and it always rides very comfortable.

OP
K

Kucher

FNG
Thank you for your advice. I’m an east coast guy in NY and just trying to get a decent understanding. I have always wanted to go the kifaru route.
Ive own both and currently use a Stone Glacier with Xcurve Frame. For me and my deep lumbar the SG Xcurve frame carries heavy louds much better then Exo and Kifaru. The Xcurve just stays in place on your back and really keeps the weight off of your shoulders. Again, you just got to try each one out and decide for yourself. I bought all 3 and sent the other 2 back that I didn't like as much.
Not a bad idea thank you

I have both and think they are both great packs. The Exo system seems easier to use and much less strapie. The Exo lumbar pad is a bit thicker but not necessarily any more comfortable. The Kifaru shoulder straps are more comfortable and the pack overall is built heavier. Both haul weight well and I have had no barreling issues with either. I do like the ease of the Exo belt. Although you can’t go wrong with either pack, if I was just to choose one it would be a Kifaru. Not by a lot but mostly because of the durability.

OP
K

Kucher

FNG
I have both and think they are both great packs. The Exo system seems easier to use and much less strapie. The Exo lumbar pad is a bit thicker but not necessarily any more comfortable. The Kifaru shoulder straps are more comfortable and the pack overall is built heavier. Both haul weight well and I have had no barreling issues with either. I do like the ease of the Exo belt. Although you can’t go wrong with either pack, if I was just to choose one it would be a Kifaru. Not by a lot but mostly because of the durability.
Great info, thank you

Tradchef

WKR
As said before, you can’t go wrong with either and any of them. Customer service is great on both ends and packs are made really well. I run kifaru and that’s from switching over from Stone Glacier which I loved as well. I got tired of having a lot of the frame sticking out over my head with the SG from having a super short torso. Kifaru has tons of options to customize. They aren’t complicated at all. You can keep it as basic or elaborate as you want with pockets and add ons. If you practice with your pack and you should no matter which brand you choose it’s not a big deal. Everyone if different and everyone has different likes and dislikes and are shaped different. Try as many as you can if that’s a possibility and just make a list of what is important to you. What you need to have vs what you’d like to have. That always helps me choose. This was last season. I made two trips with my woodsman and lite frame to pack this bull out. I switched to a reckoning bag this year as I hunt solo and need a bit more room for more meat to cut down on trips. The lite frame is a beast and can handle anything you can load it up with. Good luck man.....it’s super fun learning about the packs and systems. Even more fun trying them out and beating them up....

Attachments

• E50B4A37-4DD6-45BF-9ED5-D1078637145B.jpeg
    E50B4A37-4DD6-45BF-9ED5-D1078637145B.jpeg
    230 KB · Views: 154

Randle

WKR
I went thru this stage, owned both. I feel they are both great packs and companies.
For me the kifaru just felt too stiff in day mode, nothing wrong with that, I just wanted something that moves better with me thru N Idaho tangles. The exo checks that box and Is great with heavy loads.

SCOGS

Lil-Rokslider
The Exo lumbar pad is a bit thicker but not necessarily any more comfortable. The Kifaru shoulder straps are more comfortable and the pack overall is built heavier.

I feel the complete opposite. The lumbar on the Kifaru packs is HUGE and is not very soft. It caused a lot of lower lumbar pressure on me. Hard to see in this picture, but the lumbar pad is a lot bigger.

I think the shoulder straps on the Exo are the best in the business. They have a great contour to them. The shoulder straps were the thing I disliked the most about my Kifaru. They dug into my neck and didn't make full contact with my shoulders.

Look at the big gap between my shoulder and the outside edge of the shoulder strap.

OP
K

Kucher

FNG
I feel the complete opposite. The lumbar on the Kifaru packs is HUGE and is not very soft. It caused a lot of lower lumbar pressure on me. Hard to see in this picture, but the lumbar pad is a lot bigger.
View attachment 106107

I think the shoulder straps on the Exo are the best in the business. They have a great contour to them. The shoulder straps were the thing I disliked the most about my Kifaru. They dug into my neck and didn't make full contact with my shoulders.
View attachment 106108View attachment 106109

Look at the big gap between my shoulder and the outside edge of the shoulder strap.
View attachment 106110
Thank you, very insightful. Maybe I will get both and try them and send back which ever one doe a make the cut

I was in your shoes this summer! A member/friend on here lives close to me and allowed me to try both his exo k2 and his Kifaru frame. I like both. But like boots the fit of the Kifaru and the belt on the Kifaru worked better for the shape of my back! I liked the larger pad on the Kifaru. The test for the Kifaru is 10days in Alaska for me in August.

But, I might try the new K3 frame before I purchase one.

Like boots try them on and will fit better with weight and in day mode.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Man this is exactly what happened to me when I tried Kifaru. I wanted so bad for the Kifaru to work, but the shoulder straps just kept digging into my shoulder/neck area. The Exo is shaped for the slope of your shoulder. I will say my current Stone Glacier doesn't look as shaped as Exo but I have zero issue with it. Actually the SG keeps the weight off my shoulders much better then the Exo did.

View attachment 106108View attachment 106109

View attachment 106110

For more info, my Exo lumbar pad is about twice the thickness as my Kifaru. I just got the Exo and have had my Kifaru for 4/5 years. They may have changed some things since I bought it. With the new Exo coming out soon, you might be able to pick up a used one a save a few $$.