Kifaru vs exo

SCOGS

Lil-Rokslider
Exo all the way. The 3500 is an awesome, purpose-built, backcountry hunting pack.
Kifaru also makes awesome, purpose built backcountry hunting packs, and they've been doing it a lot longer than Exo. What exactly, in your opinion, makes Exo superior to Kifaru?

md126

WKR
Packs are a personal thing, often based on fit and hunting style.

I like the overall design and simplicity of EXO over the Kifaru. Lighter weight too

JNDEER

WKR
Be careful if you go the route of trying all packs at the same time and returning them. I believe EXO does this, but when I was thinking about trying the Kifaru Lite when it came out they told me they would not accept a return if the pack had been used (her words). So, I didn't buy from them at full cost and eventually found one used online.

SCOGS

Lil-Rokslider
Be careful if you go the route of trying all packs at the same time and returning them. I believe EXO does this, but when I was thinking about trying the Kifaru Lite when it came out they told me they would not accept a return if the pack had been used (her words). So, I didn't buy from them at full cost and eventually found one used online.

Kifaru will definately refund a returned pack. Of course it needs to be new still. They aren't going to refunda dirty or sweaty pack. They have to be able to sell it as new. That doesn't mean you can't load it up with weight and play with the fitment.

JNDEER

WKR
I don't know how you can properly test a pack if it doesn't get sweat on it??

Putting weight in it and walking down the street for 5 minutes or wearing it standing still for 30 minutes doesn't mimic at all what you will experience in the field and how the pack will actually perform for you when the time comes you need it to. Hell a badlands sacrifice may feel "ok" with weight it in walking down the sidewalk for 5 minutes- lol

SCOGS

Lil-Rokslider

Putting weight in it and walking down the street for 5 minutes or wearing it standing still for 30 minutes doesn't mimic at all what you will experience in the field and how the pack will actually perform for you when the time comes you need it to. Hell a badlands sacrifice may feel "ok" with weight it in walking down the sidewalk for 5 minutes- lol
So you expect them to sell you a pack then take it back for a 100% refund when its not in like new condition and they can't resell it because it got soaked in sweat? I dont understand. What company would let you test drive there merchandise then return it in unsellable condition?

Billinsd

WKR
So you expect them to sell you a pack then take it back for a 100% refund when its not in like new condition and they can't resell it because it got soaked in sweat? I dont understand. What company would let you test drive there merchandise then return it in unsellable condition?
He didn't say that. He said he bought a used one. Sounds like he meant since he couldn't buy a new one and put it through its paces and possibly return it, he bought a used one.

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
Been a kifaru guy since 2012. Hauled alot of weight out of the backcountry. Still my go to pack.

However

Recently just spent a couple days with the new K3 frame and 4800 bag. I liked it. Bag was simple, clean cut and streamlined. Absolutely loved it. Frame was good, hiked about 24 miles with 37#lbs. Then came out about 21 miles with 70lbs. Things felt good, as good as it can with that kind of mileage and weight. The only thing that wasnt a homerun was the belt. It was vastly different than kifaru. However there is alot of fine tuning you can do with it. If I had more time I would have adjusted more and likely got it dialed in.

Moral of the story, cant go wrong with either.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

tdhanses

WKR

I didn’t think any of the companies would allow you to return a used pack.

But I have to agree with the others, I wouldn’t expect any company to give me a refund on their product after using even within a 30 day window, yes that was a Cabela’s policy but you see where that went, even REI changed their policy.

I mean what would stop someone from buying a pack going on a 2 week hunt and returning it?

JNDEER

WKR
Go to EXO website and they have a 30 day guarantee for the pack to be tested. They get it!

Anyone who hunts from a pack knows fit is key and throwing some weight in it for 5 minutes won't tell you crap about the pack. You don't need to pack an animal out with it either, but simulating certain situations will tell you if the pack is for you or not.

There is a huge difference between a pack that has been in the woods hunted out of and a pack that has 5 miles on a treadmill.

Can you imagine if a reputable top of the line backpack company had a stock of "used" packs that if a person was to pay for shipping could be tested out for 30 days and either returned or purchased on the spot? At least EXO understands that and lets you test it for 30 days and one that has some miles on it being tested can easily be returned in "like new" condition, not new.

Been a kifaru guy since 2012. Hauled alot of weight out of the backcountry. Still my go to pack.

However

Recently just spent a couple days with the new K3 frame and 4800 bag. I liked it. Bag was simple, clean cut and streamlined. Absolutely loved it. Frame was good, hiked about 24 miles with 37#lbs. Then came out about 21 miles with 70lbs. Things felt good, as good as it can with that kind of mileage and weight. The only thing that wasnt a homerun was the belt. It was vastly different than kifaru. However there is alot of fine tuning you can do with it. If I had more time I would have adjusted more and likely got it dialed in.

Moral of the story, cant go wrong with either.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Brock, what is it about the belt you weren't crazy with? Any pressure points or issues staying on hips compared to Kifaru?

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
Brock, what is it about the belt you weren't crazy with? Any pressure points or issues staying on hips compared to Kifaru?

I am used to the Kifaru belt wrapping around my hips a little farther than the Exo does. No pressure points or issues staying on the hips. I think I would get it fine tuned pretty easy next time.

I am used to the Kifaru belt wrapping around my hips a little farther than the Exo does. No pressure points or issues staying on the hips. I think I would get it fine tuned pretty easy next time.

As in coming around in front of your hips or more of a cupping top/bottom of your hips? I know the "cupping" shape of Kifaru belts is popular.

My current exo belt is very comfortable and wraps around the front more than my SG or SO belts, but when I was skinny by my last hunt last fall it was maxed out and not quite tight enough for the last pack out.

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
As in coming around in front of your hips or more of a cupping top/bottom of your hips? I know the "cupping" shape of Kifaru belts is popular.

My current exo belt is very comfortable and wraps around the front more than my SG or SO belts, but when I was skinny by my last hunt last fall it was maxed out and not quite tight enough for the last pack out.

A little of both on what you described. Like I mentioned before, everything performed well, just wasn't what I was used to so it threw me off a little.

KurtR

WKR
Go to EXO website and they have a 30 day guarantee for the pack to be tested. They get it!

Anyone who hunts from a pack knows fit is key and throwing some weight in it for 5 minutes won't tell you crap about the pack. You don't need to pack an animal out with it either, but simulating certain situations will tell you if the pack is for you or not.

There is a huge difference between a pack that has been in the woods hunted out of and a pack that has 5 miles on a treadmill.

Can you imagine if a reputable top of the line backpack company had a stock of "used" packs that if a person was to pay for shipping could be tested out for 30 days and either returned or purchased on the spot? At least EXO understands that and lets you test it for 30 days and one that has some miles on it being tested can easily be returned in "like new" condition, not new.

So exo has a like new condition sale or do I take the chance of getting some ones sweaty pack

So exo has a like new condition sale or do I take the chance of getting some ones sweaty pack

I have returned Exo, Kifaru and Stone Glacier. never had any issues and got full refund. I used each pack for a bout two weeks putting 50 - 70lbs in them and doing a couple mile hike. As long as they dont get dirty and look new it is a non-issue.

SOIHUNT

Lil-Rokslider
I have a KUIU 5200 almost brand new and now I’ll probably be selling it for the exo. I don’t have a place to try the different packs, but been doing a lot of reading on all different packs. I think exo 3500 is the one I looking at?