Kifaru vs EXO

Dhicklin

FNG
I have been using a mystery ranch Metcalf for a few years now. Its perfect for 3-4 day hunts for me but I have been looking at some longer trips somewhere in the 7-10 day range. I want to get a bigger pack. I really want to support American made business. What recommendations , pros/cons, and personal experience can anyone share between the two companies. Thanks in advance for your help!

Rommy

Lil-Rokslider
I have been using a mystery ranch Metcalf for a few years now. Its perfect for 3-4 day hunts for me but I have been looking at some longer trips somewhere in the 7-10 day range. I want to get a bigger pack. I really want to support American made business. What recommendations , pros/cons, and personal experience can anyone share between the two companies. Thanks in advance for your help!

I’ve never tried a kifaru. But I love my exo. IMO it has the best bag layout, you don’t need to buy anything extra like a lid or external pockets. It’s very well designed.

That being said I haven’t used it to haul any big loads. I killed a cow elk but it was right next to a truck with a winch so I didn’t get a chance to test it.

Some people say the kifaru load carrying ability is second to none. Some say stone glacier is the best. Some say Exo.

It really depends on your body type.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Dhicklin

Dhicklin

FNG
I’ve never tried a kifaru. But I love my exo. IMO it has the best bag layout, you don’t need to buy anything extra like a lid or external pockets. It’s very well designed.

That being said I haven’t used it to haul any big loads. I killed a cow elk but it was right next to a truck with a winch so I didn’t get a chance to test it.

Some people say the kifaru load carrying ability is second to none. Some say stone glacier is the best. Some say Exo.

It really depends on your body type.

i wish there was a way to try them....I wonder what the return policies are if I were to order both and compare. 🤔

what size do you have? I thought I would never need another bag after my metcalf but I’m just running into a space problem for the longer trips.

Spoonbill

WKR
I hauled out an entire deer with my exo. Mine is a 2015 frame With the old 3500 bag, but its been great on multiday trips. I wouldn’t hesitate to buy a kifaru if they have one you like better.
That probably doesn’t help your choice, both companies build a solid product. Half the reason I bought an exo was that I got it on sale and the company is based in my home state.

Attachments

• EC4D31E8-F13C-4C65-BD56-DD4019ADD7F2.jpeg
    EC4D31E8-F13C-4C65-BD56-DD4019ADD7F2.jpeg
    332.7 KB · Views: 146

khunter20

FNG
If you like the metcalf then the larger beartooth 80 might peak your interest. Ive heard nothing but great things about it and purchased one myself but havent had a chance to put it to the test. Im pretty new to the western hunting game but i think you're going to hear good things about all the top of the line packs such as MR, SG, Kifaru and Exo and its going to be personal preference as i think the quality is there with all of them so i think your best bet would be to find out which one fits you best a lot like boots. Gohunt is having a sale on the mystery ranch packs right now. I got the beartooth for 450 and i believe blackovis is having an even better sale on them.

Last edited:
i wish there was a way to try them....I wonder what the return policies are if I were to order both and compare. 🤔

what size do you have? I thought I would never need another bag after my metcalf but I’m just running into a space problem for the longer trips.

They will both accept returns as long as everything is in new condition, don't think they have tags. But I can't remember for certain. That is the best way to decide. I think both companies will give you a 30 day return period.

I'd get a few water softener bags (or whatever you can find local for cheap 40#) and try them at 40, 80, and over 100. See what works best for you at those different weights. Return the one that doesn't work for you as well. Both quality packs, just personal preference and fit is what it will come down to.

tdhanses

WKR
Both are great, really it comes down to bag design and what you prefer in a bag. I’ve had many kifaru packs over the years but I just never found a bag design that really was what I wanted.

I now have a Kifaru duplex with Exo 2k bag on it and an Exo K3 with 4800. The K3 frame is extremely comfortable and I like the simplistic adjustments and the comfort of it over the Kifaru.

If you can swing it order both and pick what works best for you, both are great companies and have great products.

OP
Dhicklin

Dhicklin

FNG
If you like the metcalf then the larger beartooth 80 might peak your interest. Ive heard nothing but great things about it and purchased one myself but havent had a chance to put it to the test. Im pretty new to the western hunting game but i think you're going to hear good things about all the top of the line packs such as MR, SG, Kifaru and Exo and its going to be personal preference as i think the quality is there with all of them so i think your best bet would be to find out which one fits you best a lot like boots. Gohunt is having a sale on the mystery ranch packs right now. I got the beartooth for 450 and i believe blackovis is having an even better sale on them.

the big kicker on the mystery ranch hunting packs are I think they are made in The Philippines. I’m really trying to buy made in America.

I currently have an exo k2 3200(?). It so far has been good to me (carries well easy to use), but i ve only used for Day trips until recently, when I packed for a 4-day AK Mtn goat hunt. I worked REALLY hard to get everything to fit for 4 nights. Also, the older K2 straps were thinner... and more prone to twisting in the buckle... maybe because they were constantly wet on my hunt. So I am looking to upgrade either to an Exo 6400 bag, OR... the gear junky in me has me eyeing the Kifaru Hoodlum as well. (Clearly the less cost-effective choice, but if anyone can convince me that that is the way to go... then I am all ears! Upgrading to a 5-7 day bag. I do 2 western hunts per year. I normally carry a rifle, tripod and 15x binos on occasion in addition to the 0 deg slick bag, food, 3 season tent etc. Thanks again. PS. This is my first post here, so be gentle. ;)

big44a4

WKR
I currently have an exo k2 3200(?). It so far has been good to me (carries well easy to use), but i ve only used for Day trips until recently, when I packed for a 4-day AK Mtn goat hunt. I worked REALLY hard to get everything to fit for 4 nights. Also, the older K2 straps were thinner... and more prone to twisting in the buckle... maybe because they were constantly wet on my hunt. So I am looking to upgrade either to an Exo 6400 bag, OR... the gear junky in me has me eyeing the Kifaru Hoodlum as well. (Clearly the less cost-effective choice, but if anyone can convince me that that is the way to go... then I am all ears! Upgrading to a 5-7 day bag. I do 2 western hunts per year. I normally carry a rifle, tripod and 15x binos on occasion in addition to the 0 deg slick bag, food, 3 season tent etc. Thanks again. PS. This is my first post here, so be gentle. ;)

Not a fan of exo straps on the new k3. They are soft and twist in buckle as you state. Feel cheap to me. But overall like the pack a lot.

gelton

WKR
I've had the original Kifaru duplex DT1 and currently have the Muskeg 5000 with the Duplex Lite. Both can carry more than I can.

I have never owned an Exo but if you have a look at most of the videos on youtube, the one thing that I have noticed is that the actual packed bag of an Exo looks way more uniform than a Kifaru bag, The Kifru bag kind of just hangs off the frame. But the kicker, and in my opinion, the most important thing to notice is that Kifarus load lifters actually work...with the Exo, they seem nonexistent.

Obviously, that is just an observation, however, I think its telling...have a look at some of the born and raised videos with Jason Phelps (kifaru) and a few others and have a close look at the load lifters on the Kifaru compared to the Exo...there is a noticeable difference.

@mcseal2 has both those pack. I picked stone glacier just to be different.

The Kifaru tactical frame fit me better than the Exo k2 frame does. Planed to buy a Kifaru and couldn’t decide on a pack. So I picked the stone glacier sky 5900. It’s about the fit.

I do think the belt on the Kifaru was the best of all 3. People like all 3

mcseal2

WKR
I like the hip belt better on the Kifaru and prefer it for really heavy or bulky loads. I worked with Dayna at Kifaru though and ordered it set up for specifically that. 26” tactical frame with a Nomad 2 bag and grab it 2 attachment.

What I like best about the Exo is it’s ability to handle 80-90lbs pretty comfortably while moving really well with me with lighter loads. The lateral flex of the Exo makes me use it for most hunts. It’s easily the most comfortable pack I’ve used with 40lbs or less while still handling an 80lb load well. I really like the layout of the 3500 bag too, and a buddies K3 4800 is set up even better.

I just ordered a K3 hip belt for my K2 pack with the 3500 bag. It may improve what I feel is the weakest part of my K2 Exo.

Bottom line I like both. For example if I was elk hunting I’d hunt with the Exo and have the Kifaru in the truck with water bottles in the batwings for later loads.

krohboy

WKR
Personally, I am not a fan of most of Kifarus Bags leading me to an exo bag for my solution. I run a hybrid set up. Exo K2 Frame and a Kifaru Belt with the K3 Bags. If I were to do it all over I would probally just run a full Kifaru frame and the exo bags still.

I've had the original Kifaru duplex DT1 and currently have the Muskeg 5000 with the Duplex Lite. Both can carry more than I can.

I have never owned an Exo but if you have a look at most of the videos on youtube, the one thing that I have noticed is that the actual packed bag of an Exo looks way more uniform than a Kifaru bag, The Kifru bag kind of just hangs off the frame. But the kicker, and in my opinion, the most important thing to notice is that Kifarus load lifters actually work...with the Exo, they seem nonexistent.

Obviously, that is just an observation, however, I think its telling...have a look at some of the born and raised videos with Jason Phelps (kifaru) and a few others and have a close look at the load lifters on the Kifaru compared to the Exo...there is a noticeable difference.
interesting what your said about the load lifters... i attributed it to user error on my part because while I was able to get the loader high up on my back ( and the weight felt comfy).. i felt like I could not get the lifters and straps to secure my pack from swaying back and forth.

Last edited:

Drifter

FNG
Exo makes a good pack and probably some of the best customer service in industry but I personally wouldn't put those two companies in the same category. If you were happy with your MR I would say Kifaru is more comparable to that.
I've ran the exo packs and personally thought the k2 was a better pack and more comfortable then the k3, but the k3 was a better sized bag for what I do.
I have a Kifaru 44 mag now and I am more then happy with the way it performs.

aaen

Lil-Rokslider
wait the ex bags fit the kifaru frames? Do they just mount up or do I need to do special modifications. This would be the best of both worlds.

twall13

WKR
wait the ex bags fit the kifaru frames? Do they just mount up or do I need to do special modifications. This would be the best of both worlds.
I have an older Kifaru Duplex frame and have used an Exo 5500 and 2000 bag with it for several years now. I'm not sure how they pair up with the newer stuff but they work incredibly well on the older stuff. I was shocked at how well they fit. I had to replace a few buckles and get some extra lid straps from Exo but that's about it.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk