Kifaru vs Mystery Ranch (USA vs Philippines)

Winters Kamp

Lil-Rokslider
Been looking at MR packs but I see they’re not made in USA anymore. How’s does on justify paying the asking prices of a MR pack vs Kifaru makes in USA products?

I know that customer service for Kifaru is top notch. So I guess my real question is the customer service for MR. How is it since moving operations to overseas?

rekkr870

Lil-Rokslider
Meh. If I have to spend another $150 to keep it in the USA I will.

MR makes a nice pack. Kifaru makes a nicer pack.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

fatlander

WKR
I once called mystery ranch about attaching their stick it to one of their bags. The service rep I talked to couldn’t be bothered to answer my questions. I called kifaru about attaching their grab it to said bag. They took more time answering the questions about MRs bag and assured me it would work.

I sold my mystery ranch and bought a Kifaru.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wapiti16

FNG
I've called customer service 4-5 times at Mystery Ranch and always had helpful reps who answered my questions. They even sent me to some other companies to get some custom work done to one of my packs. No complaints there.

I called Kifaru 3 times last week and didn't get an answer, nor did I leave a message. About 30 minutes after the last call, they called me back saying they had missed a call from me. They answered my questions and were helpful. No complaints there either.

I think both are good companies. Kifaru seems to be a little more of a "custom" product, but I really like the Mystery Ranch packs I have and the new frame/belt is fantastic. I love the durability and features of the MR packs. I have a new Kifaru pack for different use on the way as well. I don't think you can go wrong either way, just know that you will have to wait 3-4 weeks for a Kifaru vs picking up a MR immediately at the store or online.

Wapiti16

FNG
Been looking at MR packs but I see they’re not made in USA anymore. How’s does on justify paying the asking prices of a MR pack vs Kifaru makes in USA products?

I know that customer service for Kifaru is top notch. So I guess my real question is the customer service for MR. How is it since moving operations to overseas?

MR's customer service numbers still take you to their HQ in Bozeman, btw. You aren't dealing with overseas customer service.

I have less of a problem with it because my wife is Filipino and I spent 10 days in the Philippines. But if I ever do buy a multi night bag I will look at Kifaru first.

I have owned both (used MR longer and more often) and they are both great Gear. My CS experience with both has been positive, though MR is a bigger company and does a lot of military and commercial sales so I guess it is less likely that the person who picks up the customer service line is a hardcore user.

I put made in the US in the plus column and am usually willing to pay a premium, but know enough about gear manufacturing to know that overseas sewing offers some fairly compelling economics. With solid designs and good QC I don’t have a bias against overseas manufacturing.

I met Dana and a woman whose name slips my mind, at the Outdoor Retailer + Snow Show in '18. We had honey whiskey, chatted a bit about packs, and they hooked me up with a sweet hat. Absolutely great people.

But I, like many of you, haven't purchased an outdoor/hunting pack from them due to not being made in the USA. I looked very closely at the Selway 60 and was disappointed to learn it is made overseas. I can't really fault MR from moving some of their operations to get costs lower, especially with the amount of military focus that I'm sure they do. But during these times especially, I think everybody should do their best to buy American.

I ended up grabbing a Kifaru, for what it's worth. My first one. I had a few questions before purchasing and they were answered almost immediately (email) and with great depth. It's something I've wanted for a very long time and put considerable thought into before ordering one of these top tier packs.

P.S. @Winters Kamp awesome YouTube channel dude, great content and well done editing.

Last edited:

WKR

I could see and explore and test the bag in the store before buying it. That's why I chose MR.

Ledanek

Lil-Rokslider
7 bags, Zoid bags, Alpine lids x2, etc with Mystery Ranch, both from USA and Philippines....their CS via online chat and videos for number of years now, they have yet to fail me. It's the little things with free Zoid bags and swags that they throw in the shipping box at the bottom when you least expect them.
All of the employees that I communicate are here in the USA.

i have always had awesome customer service from MR. Never dealt with Kifaru but their customers services seems legendary. Both are great packs. If you can justify the extra money to have made in the USA i would do that all day long. Both answers are correct for many reasons. MR is still an American company paying Americans good American dollars so there is still that benefit. But you cant go wrong either way.

Used Kifaru for a long time (10+ years). Unfortunately I do not care for the design of many of their products anymore. I find that the mystery ranch designs are my preference. So that being said, where the product is made is only 1 factor in making a purchase. I personally rate usability higher than where it's made.

fatlander

WKR
I see this thread is still kicking. Here’s another plug for kifaru customer service. I asked Aron a question via Instagram messenger that had nothing to do with anything related to kifaru. He answered me within a few hours, in the middle of the night, and as far as he knows I do not even own any Kifaru gear.

As long as Aron is running that company, they’ll get my money for anything backpack related.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk