Kifaru vs Mystery ranch

I am looking to upgrade from my Alps backpack. I will only be using this as a day pack. I want to get one of these to have the capability to haul meat or put a dry bag on the load shelf for more volume. I'm stuck between the MR sawtooth 45 and the Kifaru stryker XL with sherman pocket. The think that Kifaru pack would be the ultimate day pack but it is double the price. I know Kifaru is made in the USA and that's big plus. I am normally a buy once cry once but I have done a lot of research and my concern is some say some backpacks fit people better than others (that's what some say). I have no way to try either pack. I'm 6'3 215. Anybody have any advice for me? I do appreciate it!

4rcgoat

WKR
No useful info for you really,but i also upgraded from an Alps pack years ago to a then "made in America " Myself Ranch metcalf,the difference between the two truly is a night and day difference.

I would guess the Kifaru will be slightly more comfortable and is made in America.
If Kifaru stays high quality that will be my next pack, but just bought the sawtooth at 35% off so need to give it a try... already have the back strap and stick it as accessories.
You could buy both and return the other, or sell.

I have a MR pintler. If I had to do it again I would look harder at Kifaru. The reason being is Kifaru has way more options for adding or changing the backpack in the future. MR has almost no options. I am not saying I don't like MR, I just don't like that 2 years after I bought my pack I can't buy a different, bag, lid, belt, pockets, etc.

fatlander

WKR
If you’re paying retail for MR, get the kifaru.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Both are good options. Pack fit is the most important thing to get right, but unfortunately there's no good way to judge fit without actually trying them on. If you're willing to temporarily tie up additional money and eat some return shipping cost, consider buying both from a retailer that offers free returns then send back the one that doesn't fit as well. You could initially order a frame only to lower the upfront cost then add a bag later. Also, Mystery Ranch's retail network is getting large enough that you might be able to find a local outdoors store with some MR packs in stock.

OP
Y
I have a MR Marshall and a Kifaru Stryker XL and Kifaru 44 Mag. They frames for Kifaru are stiffer and handle weights better. The MR have nice camo but not on the same level as Kifaru.
Do you think the MR hauls lighter loads (just hunting gear) better than the Kifaru? @kirmerw

kirmerw

FNG
No, unfortunately not. I even put the MR frame on my kids Osprey and Dueter packs and the issue is with the shoulder straps and bottom back support. It’s thin compared to a stiffer Kifaru. I’ve wanted to re-use the frame but it just doesn’t hold weight well. The guide lid that come on the MR is nice though.

Ram94

WKR
No, unfortunately not. I even put the MR frame on my kids Osprey and Dueter packs and the issue is with the shoulder straps and bottom back support. It’s thin compared to a stiffer Kifaru. I’ve wanted to re-use the frame but it just doesn’t hold weight well. The guide lid that come on the MR is nice though.
Assuming this is the older Guide Light frame?

kirmerw

FNG
Do you think the MR hauls lighter loads (just hunting gear) better than the Kifaru? @kirmerw
2018 frame. Are the new ones much better?

Ram94

WKR

2018 frame. Are the new ones much better?
Not even comparable. The new MT frame is a huge upgrade in my opinion. The belt is a lot more hefty and doesn’t slip like the GL did.

kirmerw

FNG
It’s a 2018 frame. Looks nice but the straps and
Not even comparable. The new MT frame is a huge upgrade in my opinion. The belt is a lot more hefty and doesn’
Not even comparable. The new MT frame is a huge upgrade in my opinion. The belt is a lot more hefty and doesn’t slip like the GL did.
That’s a bummer because the bag is awesome.

I had the met calf for a while and finally got my hands on a Kifaru. I have carried a lot of weight in each and to me the Kifaru is hands down more comfortable

DRock1986

FNG
Kifaru all the way! Muskeg is a keg it backpack that you can’t go wrong with! I made the move from EXO and haven’t looked back.

I would guess the Kifaru will be slightly more comfortable and is made in America.
If Kifaru stays high quality that will be my next pack, but just bought the sawtooth at 35% off so need to give it a try... already have the back strap and stick it as accessories.
You could buy both and return the other, or sell.
Where did you find the sawtooth at 35% off? Thanks!