Kifaru vs Mystery ranch

Where did you find the sawtooth at 35% off? Thanks!
Back when BlackOvis had MR for 25% off, then used the 10% coupon code.
Actually ended up cheaper than Camofire MR sale... where most packs sold in a few hours

Had to go over to gohunt for the stick it and back strap, but thought I should buy while available due to the recent climate of product availability.

hflier

WKR
Classified Approved
For me, it's all about body shape and fit. The Guide Light MT frame is more comfortable to me than the Kifaru Duplex. If it felt even close to the MR, I would be a Kifaru customer. I hate the fact that MR is made offshore.

Agree with this. For me the Kifaru lumbar pad is just too wide and large. I hated MR packs until the MT frame came out. Now they fit me great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Consider buying secondhand if you're trying to conserve funds. Both pack brands you're considering are built tough and will endure many years of heavy use. I regularly see 1-2 year old MR packs posted for sale at 1/2 to 2/3 of MSRP. Resell values of Kifaru packs tend to run higher than MR but still much cheaper than new.

One caveat to buying used: MR upgraded their frame design from the "Guide Light" to "Guide Light MT" in 2019. IMO, the belt on the MT frame is much superior. MR also changed their buckle design as part of the frame upgrade, so frames and bags aren't directly compatible across generations.

cburgin72

Lil-Rokslider
I'll second what Mighty Mouse said, especially with kifaru. And to add to it, if you are able to pick up a kifaru frame from the classifieds and don't like it, you will likely be able to resale it for just about what you paid.

JLane330

Lil-Rokslider
I just got an MR Sawtooth 45 a month ago and simply put, it doesn't fit me well. I'm about your size (6'2" and vary between 200 - 210#). I've tried and tried, and with just 45# in it, it's not working for me. In researching on here, it seems there are several taller guys who have had similar issues with the MR frames. I'm interested in this thread because I'm looking for a good solution as well.

The Sawtooth bag itself is very nice. It seems well made. If only the frame fit me well...

Ram94

WKR
What size frame do you have? I'm 6'4" 225 and trying to make sure it'll fit me
The frame size stays the same regardless. It’s the size of the belt and yoke that changes. It really depends on individual body size. For reference, I am 6’3” 210lbs but long in the leg and the Large fits me perfectly. Frame is level with my ears when loaded up.

Ram94

WKR
That makes sense. I'm a 36" waist, wondering how a L belt would fit as well.
I’m a 35” waist and it fits with a fair bit of adjustment either way. Had the medium belt first and it was on the small side. I’m talking the MT frame.

OP
Y
I just got an MR Sawtooth 45 a month ago and simply put, it doesn't fit me well. I'm about your size (6'2" and vary between 200 - 210#). I've tried and tried, and with just 45# in it, it's not working for me. In researching on here, it seems there are several taller guys who have had similar issues with the MR frames. I'm interested in this thread because I'm looking for a good solution as well.

The Sawtooth bag itself is very nice. It seems well made. If only the frame fit me well...
Thank you...that's good to know!!

Marble

WKR
All of my hunting partners, my dad and my wife have all put the kifaru on and have all commented on the comfort. Some with weight, most not.

I think its the exception more than the rule for these new types of pack frames to not fit someone.

The high end packs these days are really exceptional. Comparing them to the late 80 and 90s, it's just amazing. No shoulder problems, belt rub, sore pelvic bone etc.

I love the Kifaru, but I haven't tried the others. It's changed my confidence in carrying weight. I almost look forward to those 100 pounds packs. Admiration day...

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

*zap*

WKR
packs fit different folks differently, no one can tell you what will fit you better. You need to try for yourself and decide based on experience. I have both plus SG Krux and right now I like the MR and SG better but I am going to make some adjustments to the kifaru and see where that goes...

OP
Y
I just wanted to follow up. Thanks to some info Fatlander gave me I got a new Sawtooth 45 and got it last week. I loaded it up with 50 lbs and I'm very happy with it. I'm sure the Kifaru is a better pack but 90% of the time I will not have more than 50 lbs in it. Thanks for all the advise and info.