Kifaru vs Seek

dminjr73

FNG
So I am looking for a new hunting pack. This past season I used the MR Beartooth 80. Liked the pack, comfortable, and handled 80lbs or so well. That said I need a bigger pack. My 2 initial likes are the Kifaru Fulcrum and the Seek Outside Saker7400. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

OP
D

dminjr73

FNG
Well Beartooth 80 didn't fit all my stuff on the inside for our 8 day hunt. From what I see of the 2 bags I am liking. I like the fact you can take the wing pockets and make into day pack. Can run camp stuff in big bag, dump and use wing pockets for day hunt necessity things

sndmn11

WKR
My saker rolls up tight for the day with just the kill lol in the main, my clothes/bladder/poo kit/snacks/essentials in the wings and my tripod taco-ed outside the main in between the wings. Rides lol ke a dream for me where I could not get a Kifaru hunter frame comfortable in a few weeks of trying. I am certain there are others with the opposite experience, and I don't think you can go wrong with either.

It looks like Seek is returning to the Western Hunt Expo and Kifaru has their own booth for the first time as well. If you are near SLC, it would be a worthwhile thing to go by there.

Last edited:

Zach Herold

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well Beartooth 80 didn't fit all my stuff on the inside for our 8 day hunt. From what I see of the 2 bags I am liking. I like the fact you can take the wing pockets and make into day pack. Can run camp stuff in big bag, dump and use wing pockets for day hunt necessity things
Ok so you need a larger bag to carry more stuff for extended hunts. Cool.

Is organization a big factor or not really?

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Mudd Foot

WKR
I’ve owned several of the Kifaru frames (Bikini and Duplex Lite) and bags(High Camp, Woodsman, Reckoning, and Hoodlum) and also am presently running an SO Saker. Despite wanting the Kifaru system to work, I was unable to get the waist belt to stay in place under load. Tried multiple means of adjustment, coupled with positioning of weight within the pack, and for my build the belt just kept slipping. That said, I would not hesitate to recommend or purchase Kifaru in the future.

Seek Outside’s frame design coupled with the floating belt works for me. All belts slip/sag under significant weight(100+ lbs IME), as should be expected. The SO belt does not slip until above 100 lbs. IME.

Bedrock and Paradox had several essays on this very subject several years ago, and it’s what caused me to try SO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Base this decision off what frame fits you best under load. You honestly probably can’t go wrong with either. The kifaru would be my pick.
same, same, and same. both are great options, one frame will fit better than the other... the kifaru fits me better, but the vast majority of those who have tried the SO frame love it, so i'm an outlier. both are great pack systems, i wish the SO frame worked for me, because i would like to add one to my pack wardrobe... i liked everything about the SO but the fit on my back.... the kifaru frame is just awesome for me with really heavy loads, and i like their bags personally

I couldn’t get the seek outside to fit correctly this season, impulse order a kifaru during their sale, i’m not sure what is was but no matter what adjustments I made to the SO I couldn’t get it right.

sndmn11

WKR
So I am looking for a new hunting pack. This past season I used the MR Beartooth 80. Liked the pack, comfortable, and handled 80lbs or so well. That said I need a bigger pack. My 2 initial likes are the Kifaru Fulcrum and the Seek Outside Saker7400. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
If you wanted to be really smart about it, you would order both as frames only and lash a 40lb sand/rock salt bag to each and play with them for a month. You might be able to get this done if you found both used for the same price as one new.

having used both frames, kifaru is the more comfortable option by a long shot with heavier weights

sndmn11

WKR
having used both frames, kifaru is the more comfortable option by a long shot with heavier weights

The opposite holds true for me. My first and only pack brand from 2002 until 2015 was Kifaru. Stone Glacier came in the mix for a very short bit, but for what I find comfortable, I now have Seek Outside revolution frame with Saker and it handles any task in the field or as a kid carrier I can come up with. The difference for me is comfort in the moment and no soreness or pain points the next day.

TOLeary

Lil-Rokslider
The Stryker with a camp or dry bag for gear is great and then just a small bag for for the day or whitetail. The hoodlum is a larger bath if you like everything inside your bag. I think they make even bigger too and have tons of adjustments and addons

I bought a Fulcrum with a duplex tactical frame earlier this year. I have not done a back pack hunt out if it yet, but I did two, four day hunts. And gone on 60lb-70lb rucks with it regularly. For me it has been easy to adjust. Satisfied with the purchase.

PackAK

FNG
Personally I would go with the fulcrum but I have not tried any seek bags.
personally I would go with the fulcrum I have never tried any seek products but cannot say enough about the fit and quality of Kifaru for my personal use up in alaska.

Ctitus25

Lil-Rokslider
I haven't tried the SO, However the Fulcrum was my first Kifaru pack. It can be crazy big if need be or fairly small. I keep it in case I need an large pack but have since switched to a Woodsman for daypack use.