Kifaru vs Stone Glacier

Mtnboy

WKR
I will add, i've got a 6-7 year old Stone Glacier Krux frame and Solo bag. I bought it the first year they made a change to the load shelf set up, 2013 I think.

It has literally hundreds of days of use at this point between training, hunting, hiking, fishing etc. etc. My best count is 27 animals have got a ride off a mountain with it. It has also packed chainsaws, salt blocks, bundles of lathe, turkey blinds, archery targets and countless other things.

Not a single popped stitch or seam. Very tough pack. I don't think durability is any better or worse on either brand.

RAM190Hog

Lil-Rokslider
Tested Exo, Kifaru, and SG. All with 80lb loads on 2-3 mile hikes. Ended up keeping SG despite liking the minimalist bag the least.

I bought an Exo K3 first. Despite living in Boise and visiting the Exo shop multiple times for fit help, could not get it to stay in place under heavy loads. Carried out 1/2 muley buck and camp last Oct, and had so much weight on my shoulders, pinched a nerve and thought I was having a heart attack for a second. I personally believe the Exo lumbar pad is far too soft.

Borrowed a buddy's Kifaru - he has tactical frame with Reckoning bag. Once I got the frame fit dialed, it carried OK - much better than the Exo IMO. But still tended to slip a little while heavy. Liked the organization and modularity, but it was much heavier and still not locked down.

Ordered an X-curve. Had all 3 packs at the house and took turns loading them up and going for hikes. I thought the X curve frame simply locked down and transferred weight to my hips the most efficiently. The lack of organization in the bag and the power pulls on the belt are a little annoying to me, but I went with the pack that carried heavy weight the best. Ended up carrying a cow elk in Dec and the pack performed great.

I have no "brand loyalty" other than to say I think the SG X curve is a killer frame, especially considering it's weight. I haven't been following any of the drama, so I don't know any of this background. Suffice it to say, like others have...if you can get your hands on multiple packs and try them out, that's the best option. I am currently trying to figure out if I can run an Exo or Kuiu bag on my X curve frame with some minor modifications.

Markwondi

FNG
You’re gonna have to try them both and use whichever frame fits you and carries the weight the best. I wanted to use SG as I like their packs but actually found the Exo frame to feel the best on me with 40-75 lbs; so that’s what I use.

FlyingDutchman

Lil-Rokslider
I have an Xcurve and couldn't imagine a frame, lumbar pad and waist belt that locks in place better than that. On features alone i.e. weight, customer service, integrated load shelf with xpac fabric to keep blood out of main pack bag, simple bag design and organization, I chose SG. I think that Kifaru appears to have a plusher waist belt, and has better options for adding accessory storage, molle accessories etc. So as always a personal decision based on feel under load and specific uses.
Personal drama and who's a D-bag does not factor into my decision making on which pack will work best for my uses. Plenty of d-bags to interact and do business with on a daily basis in life.

BH260

FNG
Tried them both out, both great brands. Really dependant on the features and how it fits you. Kifaru was more comfortable for me and had the features I liked so I went with it.

AKaDougie

FNG
I ran Kifaru duplex hunter frame for a few years, picked up SG xcurve a couple years ago and sold the kifaru duplex hunter frame and packs. The Kifaru duplex hunter would not stay on hips with heavy loads.
Last winter I picked up an EXO K3 and used it all year, broke the top stay on my moose pack out (replacement already shipped to me).

With all this stated all three companies are awesome to work with.
SG is great, however, belt tightening sucks balls, same issue with belt for everyone I know with that pack.
EXO K3 was my favorite until that stay broke on me (I think a tooth of moose skull most have nicked stay and the pressure made the thing snap).
Kifaru duplex lite frame being sent to me now. Kifaru gear is top notch so I want to give the duplex lite a try, winter testing for packs and boots.

I only state all this to demonstrate everyone is different (stated above) the best thing you can do is find someone willing to show you the packs in person locally (I did not really have that). If you are ever in the interior of Alaska send me a PM and we can meetup.

Kotaman

WKR
I’ve owned several Kifaru offerings through the years. I’ve owned just about every Stone Glacier setup made. I currently own Kifaru 44 Mag on Duplex Lite (and several smaller set ups) and Stone Glacier 3300, 5900 Talus 6900 and an older 7000.

If I’m going on an elk or moose hunt, I take the Kifaru as nothing hauls a heavy load better. For sheep hunts I tote a Stone Glacier due to their weight and their ability to go into daypack mode tiny. Both companies make great pack systems. They both work great for me and wouldn’t want to be without either.

I’ve tried Exo, Kifaru, Stone Glacier and KUIU. I’ve stuck with the SG Xcurve last 2 years. Every time I try something else I come back to the Xcurve as it just flat out sticks to your hips/back and doesn’t slide down like others.

huntem

FNG
As a self diagnosed pack addict, I've had more than my share of different brands/internal-external frame/small-to-big capacity. I've recently added a SG Kiowa and most recently a duplex frame with the 22mag bag. Aside from the totally different frame systems, I can confirm that both are top notch.

As we all know, SG are on the minimalist side in features and weight while the Kifaru is quite the opposite.
I sold all my KUIU bags and frame to fund the Kifaru and I haven't looked back.

Made in the USA tags on both the SG and Kifaru is even better.