Kifaru Warranty for Shoulder Straps

I just got off the phone with Kifaru about an issue I have with my shoulder straps and thought I’d see if others have had this same experience.

After only 2 seasons of use, the foam in my should straps are completely flat as well as the lumbar pad. I really noticed this when comparing with my dads brand new pack that I got him and immediately realized how worn out my foam was (check out photo below). I loaded the two packs with weight to compare and it was a drastic difference in load carrying capability/comfort between the two.

13e9f8908167f518524a4ed587c56759.jpg

I use the pack for ruck training about 1-2x per week in the spring and summer with a 50lb bag of sand in it for about 45min. Other than that I usually go on about 8-10 hunting trips/yr in New Mexico and some surrounding states.

While my pack is definitely used regularly, I felt like getting only 2 seasons out of these straps is pretty lousy. The customer service rep was very friendly and nice, but after explaining the issue the best they said they’d do was a small discount on new straps which came out to about $80 with shipping.

I went ahead and paid for the new straps and lumbar pad, but curious if anyone else has had them actually warranty their foam? Or is this a common thing to just buy new should straps and hip belts/lumbar pads every couple years?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hunting1

WKR
Looks like they changed material and after 2-seasons I would be upset. I had a broken zipper and after a few emails they agreed to fix it. I am moving away from the big K moving forward for other issues I have had with some of the latest version stuff. Good luck!

ljalberta

WKR
If you use a Gunbearer it will stretch and flatten the shoulder straps quicker.

That being said, ultimately we are talking about a fabric, a foam, and stitching. As you use it, it will wear out. I don't think of a pack as a lifetime investment. My Kifaru straps flattened quicker than my SG ones, but my SG straps pilled and frayed quicker than my Kifaru ones.

I'm just glad that shoulder straps are replaceable. If you use your pack and if you're hauling heavy loads over significant distances, then they will experience wear in some form or another no matter the brand.

I will say this, I currently have 2 SG frames and bags, as I absolutely love a number of aspects about their current designs. However, the Kifaru belts, even flattened with wear, are still king in my books in terms of comfort.

Obviously YMMV.

OP
thegoosano
If you use a Gunbearer it will stretch and flatten the shoulder straps quicker.

That being said, ultimately we are talking about a fabric, a foam, and stitching. As you use it, it will wear out. I don't think of a pack as a lifetime investment. My Kifaru straps flattened quicker than my SG ones, but my SG straps pilled and frayed quicker than my Kifaru ones.

I'm just glad that shoulder straps are replaceable. If you use your pack and if you're hauling heavy loads over significant distances, then they will experience wear in some form or another no matter the brand.

I will say this, I currently have 2 SG frames and bags, as I absolutely love a number of aspects about their current designs. However, the Kifaru belts, even flattened with wear, are still king in my books in terms of comfort.

Obviously YMMV.

That’s good to know about the differences you mention btwn SG and kifaru I was literally just looking at photos of their bags on their site looking at their straps.

I don’t think about packs as a lifelong investment either honestly. But this sort of frame maintenance will cost me more than a new frame costs in about 5yrs. It honestly makes more sense to just sell a frame every other season and buy a new one!

Just seems like for the $425 price tag of the frame alone they wouldn’t ask you to pay every other year to replace something as important as shoulder straps. Definitely not the kind of durability I expected from kifaru.

id_jon

WKR
I just replaced my belt and shoulder straps last fall after 4 seasons, sounds like you probably ruck more often than I do, so actual hours worn is probably similar. I kinda figure it is what it is. The new belt and shoulder straps are definitely different, hopefully they'll last longer, comfort boost is significant for sure right now though.

I had a Late Season which was like 18 years old. The shoulder straps were completely flat but it still carried like a dream compared to another high quality pack I had the misfortune to carry for other reasons I'd rather not speak to. Foam compresses, like tires wear, it's the end result of continued use which your pack obviously gets compared to the guy who only carries it during hunting season. Good on you for working it so hard but like tires on a car replacement is sometimes needed!

OP
thegoosano
Good info thanks everyone. I think my solution will be to use these older straps for pack training and maybe summer scouting with light load. Them switch to the thick smooth riders when it’s hunting season time. Should last much much longer this way.

How often do you all wash your belts/shoulder straps? I’m wondering if maybe once a month I should be washing them to get the salt and sweat out and if that will help the foam keep it’s shape.

gregory r

Lil-Rokslider
You could try throwing them in the dryer.
I bought one of those My Pillows, and it was flat as a pancake when it came out of the package.
Instructions said to put it in the dryer, on high heat, for 20 minutes to "rejuvinate" the foam.
It fluffed up great!

OP
thegoosano
Gave it a good wash, I put the hip belt and shoulder straps in the dryer but it didn’t do anything…worth a shot though haha.

How often do you all wash your belts/shoulder straps? I’m wondering if maybe once a month I should be washing them to get the salt and sweat out and if that will help the foam keep it’s shape.

i do it on an interval of never ;) they may last longer with some maintenance, but i have never noticed reduced capability when the foam compresses, and my mind can't calculate foam lasting very long with much loft in the context of hip belts or shoulder straps.... i have never even looked at shoulder straps that way, haha..... if something starts hurting under a heavy load that wasn't uncomfortable before, maybe, but generally it's them wearing out before their compression in the foam is a problem

npm352

WKR
I just got off the phone with Kifaru about an issue I have with my shoulder straps and thought I’d see if others have had this same experience.

After only 2 seasons of use, the foam in my should straps are completely flat as well as the lumbar pad. I really noticed this when comparing with my dads brand new pack that I got him and immediately realized how worn out my foam was (check out photo below). I loaded the two packs with weight to compare and it was a drastic difference in load carrying capability/comfort between the two.

13e9f8908167f518524a4ed587c56759.jpg

I use the pack for ruck training about 1-2x per week in the spring and summer with a 50lb bag of sand in it for about 45min. Other than that I usually go on about 8-10 hunting trips/yr in New Mexico and some surrounding states.

While my pack is definitely used regularly, I felt like getting only 2 seasons out of these straps is pretty lousy. The customer service rep was very friendly and nice, but after explaining the issue the best they said they’d do was a small discount on new straps which came out to about $80 with shipping.

I went ahead and paid for the new straps and lumbar pad, but curious if anyone else has had them actually warranty their foam? Or is this a common thing to just buy new should straps and hip belts/lumbar pads every couple years?

Just make sure you aren't storing the bag with the straps on a coat hanger...that'll wear it out really quickly.

OP
thegoosano
i do it on an interval of never ;) they may last longer with some maintenance, but i have never noticed reduced capability when the foam compresses, and my mind can't calculate foam lasting very long with much loft in the context of hip belts or shoulder straps.... i have never even looked at shoulder straps that way, haha..... if something starts hurting under a heavy load that wasn't uncomfortable before, maybe, but generally it's them wearing out before their compression in the foam is a problem

Ya same here, I never knew it was an issue until I had a brand new pack next to it to compare. With 2x50lbs bags of sand in each there was a huge difference between the two!

And to top that off, the other frame/bag was a kutthroat internal frame. It was noticeably more solid on my lower back without slipping and generally just way more comfortable. Which is kinda opposite of what I expected given that mine is a newer duplex lite with a Gnargali.

OP
thegoosano
Just make sure you aren't storing the bag with the straps on a coat hanger...that'll wear it out really quickly.

Nope, it’s always hung empty by the top grab handle on a hook on the wall in my garage

Clarktar

WKR
My straps have looked like your compressed ones for years. Maybe I'll invest in some new ones someday.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

OP
thegoosano
My straps have looked like your compressed ones for years. Maybe I'll invest in some new ones someday.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

New straps and lumbar pad will be here this weekend. I’ll let y’all know if it rides like new after the tune up haha

OP
thegoosano
Absolutely insane how much better it feels with new shoulder straps. They forgot to send me the lumbar foam with the straps so I was waiting on that to arrive before I posted anything.

I wasn’t sure exactly how much the lumbar pad had worn out but comparing the new with old is drastic. The rigidity of the new foam especially the denser backing foam is night and day. The old foam just bends all around like a noodle but the new foam is incredibly firm and locks onto my lower back like how it should.

I feel like I just got a brand new pack…

5726ef0d42205db571bf37cda1feb624.jpg

md126

WKR
Since most of the weight is carried by the hips/legs on these packs (with a proper waist belt and load lifters) not sure why these shoulder straps compress so much, especially so evenly.

Had an Exo several years and never has any issues like that. Kinda odd in my opinion.

Anyway, just my opinion.

ColoradoV

WKR
Interesting as I through the same thing here. I got my frame in 2019 and use it quite a bit but only 3-4 months a year and the shoulder straps need replacement.

Not sure if this should happen every 3 years but my frame has gotten to the place where it is very uncomfortable.

Filled out a work sheet yesterday so I will see how it goes.