KIFARU... Waste of my money?

gelton

WKR
I personally found the Kifaru gear overpriced in general. This is not rocket science guys. The designs are mostly from previous ideas that they simply copied, which Aaron Snyder admits to (Dana designs, etc.). While I do not use Mystery Ranch in the backcountry, I think they are better priced, but I could be wrong. I sold my Kifaru pack and went to the Sitka Mountain Hauler, and LOVE that. But each person has their own preferences and body style.

I tried the Kifaru kool-aid and spit it out. Good luck gentlemen.
The two packs that you mentioned are both made in Asia and both of them are ~ $600 bags...I wouldn't call it drinking kool-aid to spend $100-$200 more to support completely sourced and made in the USA products but to each their own.

OP
alabamahunt

alabamahunt

Lil-Rokslider
Don't bend it back straight, it's supposed to be bent to follow the curvature of your back, if it's uncomfortable then it's possible the previous owner took them out and put them in backwards. I see those frames now and then on Ebay and they go for $150-$200 . If you don't want the chair let me know and I'll buy it from you to carry on my old Siwash pack
Thanks. I figured it was bent to the curvature of your back but the left side was straightened out. I just bent it back to match the other side. I’ll let you know if I decide to get rid of it. Probably just going to keep it though
Send it to me. I'll dispose of it properly. ;)

That's an older Kifaru but a good pack frame. Worst case scenario you buy a strap kit from Kifaru and just strap your gear on. I cringed when I read that you straightened the aluminum stays out. They're bent to fit the curve of your back. That said, you can use them in a straight configuration (or you can swap in carbon arrows to make it lighter).
I didn’t actually straighten it out. The right side had the curves in it that it was supposed to have and the left side was much straighter. So I just bent the left side to match the curvature of the right side.

Hunt4lyf

Lil-Rokslider
I didn’t actually straighten it out. The right side had the curves in it that it was supposed to have and the left side was much straighter. So I just bent the left side to match the curvature of the right side.

That’s cool, that’s a great frame for what you’re looking to do, I’d throw 2 elk quarters on it right now and carry them out no problem.

I’m not sure which current packs will work with it but call Kifaru and they’ll help steer you in the right direction, they have the best CS around.

Chris B

Lil-Rokslider
I'll just say this . Kifaru is expensive. USA made products are expensive. Craftsman that do quality work deserve a good wage . Ive had guys tell me there's no way they are paying that " much" for said item , yet at their job they expect to be well paid for what they do .