Kifaru water bottle pockets

WIcowGuy

FNG
Looking at adding a water bottle pocket to my waistbelt for daypack use and conficted on the bottle pockets, do you guys prefer the gen 1 or gen 2? The gen 1 looks quicker to access to me, but maybe the bigger size makes the gen 2 more versatile?

On another note, I've been using a hiking brand pack with the universal kifaru gun bearer, how many parts will I need to change to make this more compatible with the duplex frame?

Thank you!

Tradchef

WKR
I'm using the gen 2. Had the gen 1 for 3 years and really liked it but never used the strap so I sold it and went to the gen 2. Heres my take. Gen 1 holds the bottle pretty dang secure with or without the buckle. Gen 2 is deeper and does a great job as well and you can use it for a pocket for calls or anything really. I did lose a nalgene in the field this year but that was my fault for having the hip belt unbuckled while I was making a quick move. Would it have happened with the gen1....no idea. Both are good. Even though with a bottle loss I still like the gen 2 for my needs.

Last edited:
I’ve been using the Gen 1 bottle pockets since they came out with zero complaints. I removed the top strap after the first trip since it’s not really needed to secure the Nalgene in the pocket.

Picked up my first Gen 2 bottle pocket last year when they came out and sold it after the first use around the neighborhood. It’s way to big and floppy for me. Nalgene bottle sides out nicely but sometimes needed and second hand to get it dumped back inside due to lack of structure like the Gen 1. I’m sure it’s great for dumping a glove or call or some small item in there but having no secure way to close it I wouldn’t trust it to hold anything I didn’t want to disappear when I set my pack down. I can drop my pack and roll it around from side to side with my Nalgene bottle securely in place in the Gen 1. Gen 2 just let it come right out. Yes, there’s a bungee and cord lock up top to hold the Nalgene bottle inside securely but it’s a hassle to open and close the bungee all the time and really needs 2 hands to do it easily.

Just my experience and opinions....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
W

WIcowGuy

FNG
Thanks guys, really appreciate the help and sounds like I'm going gen 1. Any of you ever use a smart water bottle in one? If I'm around a lot of water I will often carry a smart water botter with a sawyer screwed on top and just filter as I go to save a little effort.

I’ve only carried a standard 32oz Nalgene in my Gen 1 pocket but just happen to have a bottle of “smart water” handy. Something my kids left on the counter so I don’t know if this is a standard size smart water bottle or not. It’s tall and skinny and 33.8oz. Definitely a “sloppy” fit. I wouldn’t be comfortable carrying it if I was gonna have to rely on keeping it for a water supply. Trip around the hood walking the dog with the wife and kids....it would be ok. Here’s a pic next to a stand Nalgene and a few inside my Gen 1 pocket.
19959c1b3ce304867e280bfed5b806e3.jpg

75502be948a4f2942a056563d5875aff.jpg

51a6d3bdf8edc2246428088ec59abb4e.jpg

e82c90c71ce1e49e48e504016baaaa4b.jpg

78dab7bcb0604a349e337fb8cb03ba06.jpg

I’d feel better with a “fatter” bottle that fit the pocket a little better.

Grady.J

Lil-Rokslider
As far as the gun bearer goes, the universal will still work great on the kifaru frame. I bought the universal when I had an Exo pack, and have since switched to a Kifaru and it's fine.

OP
W

WIcowGuy

FNG
Glad to hear it, does it seem to stay put on the waist strap pretty well? That was my only complaint with the universal is its a little tricky to get it positioned and each time i put it on I had to re-find the sweet spot

Grady.J

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah I haven't had any issues with it sliding around, on the exo or the kifaru. I usually have it tucked as far back on the belt as I can get it.

Vandy321

WKR
Neither of the kifaru ones I've had were that easy for 1 handed in/out. I like pods8 /rugged stitching version better for less $$ and 1/2 the weight.

Another vote of Pods water bottle pouches. Had him make me up one sized for a smart water 1L and it fits perfectly. Easy in and out with one hand and secure.

VAMountainHunter

Lil-Rokslider
There's a "rare" Fusion camo one on fleabay for $84.99 plus $9.99 shipping. I'm sure it makes the water colder and cleaner. I guess people add "rare" and think it will sell.

OP
W

WIcowGuy

FNG
As tempting as that sounds, a $100 water bottle holder may still be a little rich for my taste considering how many things I own are held together with zip ties and duct tape, lol! Thanks everyone, where do I got about finding these pods holders? I did a quick search online with no results.

VAMountainHunter

Lil-Rokslider
As tempting as that sounds, a $100 water bottle holder may still be a little rich for my taste considering how many things I own are held together with zip ties and duct tape, lol! Thanks everyone, where do I got about finding these pods holders? I did a quick search online with no results.
It was meant as sarcasm. They're what $30 new. These fleabay jokers add the word "rare" and think people will jump on it. To me rare can also mean discontinued. Doesn't always equate to must have.

OP
W

WIcowGuy

FNG
Thanks guys, I will send a message to pods8 once I get off of rokslide probation!

Forest522

FNG
Yeah, love the "rare" items - always makes me laugh. Discontinued for a reason usually. Though I have seen a "rare" camo pattern version once or twice before...

kahunter

Lil-Rokslider
I had the exact same question on water bottle holders. Thanks for the info. I will check Pods8