Kifaru woobie and winter campout?? Will i freeze?

We're doing a winter CAMPOUT here in oregon in a couple weeks. I expect the temperature to be low 20's. I am wanting to test my Kifaru woobie I just received a couple weeks ago. Here's my Setup. Ti-vek ground cloth, neo air xtherm, Ti-goat bivy, Kifaru woobie rated at 40 degrees,add a sea to summit reactor plus, supposed to add 20 degrees to setup. Wear under armor baselayer. If I get cold my backup plan is add under armor mid layer and Sitka kelvin jacket. If really cold I'll have a couple packs of hand Warner's to place as needed. Has anyone used the woobie as a stand alone quilt?when I bought this my plan was to use it for summer trips. But I thought I'd test it on our winter back pack trip. Any thoughts, I don't mind freezing for one night, but was hoping it really works and hoping I'd stay warm with just the woobie and sea to submit and base layer.

I have used the Woobie down into the low 40's on top of a Neo air all season and wearing mid weight merino wool base layer, while it's doable, it doesn't make for a good nights sleep.

I would suggest taking a good sleeping bag with you in case things don't go the way you plan.

I am however going to test one in my "unexpected overnight" setup and see how that goes.

Trout bum

Lil-Rokslider
I have used a woobie with base layers and a Zlite in the 20's and was cold but I still slept. It may be a chilly test night. Glad you have backup. The reactor and added layers may come into play. I should add that I was testing it out as well and I am too much of a wimp to do it again. It was for three nights and I should have stuck with the marmot helium 15 degree bag. The woobie rocks in the summer though!

OP
G
I spent all last elk season in a 30 degree bag and would supplement the cold nights with the reactor plus.I found the reactor plus to be a godsend, it's instant warmth. I had a couple of nights down in the teens and stayed warm. Fortunately this test is just for one night. Fingers crossed.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Interesting, let us now if you freeze your a$$ off or not. That is what I am running this year.

Lawnboi

WKR
Try it but bring an extra bag.... its only an extra lb. You will probably get cold. I can take mine down in a ID bivy to around freezing comfortably and im a warm sleeper

trk3263

WKR
With that new KU bag and all your other weight savings you could just pack your mummy bag too. That way it will be less rocks I have to put in your bag.

trk3263

WKR
Freedom of movement and same bag/quilt no matter the temperature.

I am a side and stomach sleeper so the good on my mummy bag really doesn't so much for me. I also get hot easily and would like to stick a leg out or body part to stay cool.

These are just my hopes from the info I have read. Most reviews say once you use a quilt you will sell all your mummy bags.

An than there is the weight and versatility. Multi-use- I can use my quilt to glass if I plan to sit in one place for a while or even around camp to stay warm.

A quilt can be much more comfortable for many. You still have to buy appropriately according to temp. Just because it says kifaru doesn't mean its magic. The woobie will be excellent for warmer temps in late spring early summer. Definately not ment for 20* without some other form of insulation.

MattB

WKR
Just because it says kifaru doesn't mean its magic.

I got a laugh out of that. I have had 2 too many nights where I layed awake and freezing my @$$ off, running the numbers at how much money I would have paid to have a better bag at that moment, how many pounds I would have a carried to be warm at that moment and how many minutes it would be until the sun hit the ground to try to hope my equipment would do something it was desgined to.

I got a laugh out of that. I have had 2 too many nights where I layed awake and freezing my @$$ off, running the numbers at how much money I would have paid to have a better bag at that moment, how many pounds I would have a carried to be warm at that moment and how many minutes it would be until the sun hit the ground to try to hope my equipment would do something it was desgined to.

Ain't that the truth...

Mike

JG358

WKR
I'd take a back up bag. The Summit reactor is listed to add "up to" 15* but thats in sleeping bag, not with a quilt. I'd think youd be on the cold side unless your a very warm sleeper.

OP
G
I got the reactor plus which I believe it is supposed to add 20. But like everything else that's always questionable. however that reactor plus last year took a 30 degree bag down to 17 one night in comfort. So only way to find if this works is try it I guess. also I will have on UA cold gear base layer.i just ordered a revelations x in 20 degree but it won't be here in time for this trip.

No one likes Kifaru more than me but a little common sense goes a long way. The Woobie states 40*. Just because it is kifaru doesn't mean divide by two and go out in 20* weather! That is why Kifaru offers several different sleeping bags?

Lawnboi

WKR
Now if you had a doobie in 20* weather id say you might make it with a liner. I cant see anyone staying warm in 20* with just the woobie and a thin bivy.

these blankets are nice, and ill continue to use them, but when it comes to cold a sleeping bag just works better. Once im expecting temps on average into the 20's I take a sleeping bag. This year for cold weather im going with a slick bag with a woobie express over it.