Kifaru Woobie vs puffy pants, alternatives

Jalliston

Lil-Rokslider
I’m looking to buy a Kifaru Woobie or another outdoor blanket, or puffy pants, mainly for glassing sessions in October. I got pretty cold glassing last year in a Kelvin lite and jet stream so I’ll be upgrading my puffy later also(SG Grumman).

Im leaning more towards the Woobie for versatility because I’m just not going to use puffy pants at home in Georgia.

Thoughts? I’m looking at Kifaru and the Nemo Puffin hardest right now. Huge price difference between the two. Thanks!

I can understand the versatility of the woobie, but I prefer pants. Mainly because I use a quilt and can use my quilt as well, over my pants if its that cold. However, if it’s that cold when I’m glassing I’ll build a small fire.

choovhntr

WKR
I have both and have packed both. I personally like pants better for hunting. Take up less room, and allow you to move close distances or change positions without having to deal with repacking. Plus if your still too cold, just get up and walk around with the pants on for a bit and you’ll be warm. Can’t do that with the woobie. However, if I’m close to camp or vehicle and it’s really cold, I throw it in too in order to create a glassing cocoon if you will. The woobie is nice and has uses for other things outside the hunting world too though.

OP
Jalliston

Jalliston

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you for the responses. I’ll start shopping puffy pants a little more and rearrange the budget. Maybe get the Puffin in lieu of the Woobie to save some cash there but still have a blanket available for when close-ish to camp and look at another brand for the puffy jacket.

archp625

WKR
Thank you for the responses. I’ll start shopping puffy pants a little more and rearrange the budget. Maybe get the Puffin in lieu of the Woobie to save some cash there but still have a blanket available for when close-ish to camp and look at another brand for the puffy jacket.
I bought a Woobie this year for similar reasons. If I need insulation, mainly legs and feet I plan to wrap up in my Woobie. Plus, I havea great camp/couch blanket and a light weight warmer weather sleeping blanket.

OP
Jalliston

Jalliston

Lil-Rokslider
I ended up buying an EE Revelation Apex in 40 degree coyote/orange. I just couldn’t justify puffy pants when the Woobie or quilt will be more versatile for spring and summer camping here. I also like the idea of being able to stack with my WM terralite or EE enigma down to push those to around a zero degree rating.

i think the revelation will work well for my purposes since with the snaps I can wear it like a cape when glassing, then as a blanket or quilt around camp. It cost $7 more than a Woobie once the shipping was factored in and even more versatile(there will be a durability penalty though). A 40 degree uses 4.0 apex.

bcimport

WKR
I’ve had both and prefer the wooby. I can get out of the wooby and move silently very quickly. In most cases i don’t carry a puffy coat as I wrap all the way up in the blanket and stay quite warm.

Beckjhong

WKR
I ended up buying an EE Revelation Apex in 40 degree coyote/orange. I just couldn’t justify puffy pants when the Woobie or quilt will be more versatile for spring and summer camping here. I also like the idea of being able to stack with my WM terralite or EE enigma down to push those to around a zero degree rating.

i think the revelation will work well for my purposes since with the snaps I can wear it like a cape when glassing, then as a blanket or quilt around camp. It cost $7 more than a Woobie once the shipping was factored in and even more versatile(there will be a durability penalty though). A 40 degree uses 4.0 apex.

I like this idea. I had a woobie, and loved it. Super warm, very durable.

But.

I never put it in my pack. It was always too bulky, and at 2lb it’s the same weight as my WM Sycamore. I sold it and bought the Super B Glassing blanket. It seems well made. The material definitely is not as durable as kifaru. But it’s half the weight and bulk (1lb), which means it goes in my pack frequently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Going with a woobie/quilt vs. puffy pants you lose the ability to keep your puff layer on (or dry) in the rain/wet snow. Puffy pants under rain pants and you're good to go.

Big fan of the blanket concept. I used GI poncho liners years ago. Bought a woobie. Currently using a helicon swagman roll.

two things about the woobie

1) it is heavy for its warmth. Almost 2#. If you use the hell out of it and it replacing some clothing items then it is probably worth it but 2# is close to the weight of a goo down bag.

2) it ain’t cheAP. It is a quality piece of gear, made in America and from a rock solid company. However, while it is warmer and in most respects better than a $30 GI poncho liner, it is not 4-5x better so again, unless you are going to use the hell out of it, you can get more bag for your buck.

spc7669

Lil-Rokslider
My nephew, who is in the army, gave me a GI poncho liner. I had to hide it from my wife to keep her from taking naps with it. It makes tree stand sits in cold weather very nice. Now that I’ve had one, I don’t see myself ever not having one.

shawnjon

FNG
They make a newer poncho liner that’s got a DWR finish on it too. Probably much cheaper than any of those other options but won’t be as light.