Kifaru Woodsman for ~10 days elk backpacking?

Looking for your feedback on using the Kifaru Woodsman for, say, 9-12 days backcountry elk hunting. In the past, I've done this with a Stone Glacier Sky Archer 6200, and 7-10 days with a Badlands OX (4400 ci; I think).

What do you guys think about expanding the Woodsman with pockets to get to >6,000 ci ? I think that's pretty much what is going on here (http://www.rokslide.com/forums/backpacks/54621-kifaru-woodsman-setup.html) but I haven't heard anyone else mention using the Woodsman for such a long trip.

4000 ci (Woodsman)
1200 ci (Guide lid)
2000 ci (small roll top pod; estimated based on dimensions on kifaru website 16"L x 10"w x 14"h )

Add a couple more pockets and I should have more than enough space for

Is there any reason The Woodsman wouldn't get the job done for me?
Does anyone have experience putting a pod at the bottom of a pack, like the space left below a Woodsman on a 26" frame?

I feel like I might be missing something, and maybe the Reckoning is the better option.

Thanks!

You could do it. It just depends on how light your gear is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dotman

WKR
Depends on your gear and if your a minimalist but it would be pushing it I think. Anything is possible just have to decide how much stuff you want to strap onto the pack to increase ci.

I would go with a big bag especially since they compress down so easily. Also probably cheaper to get a reckoning vs woodsman and bunch of accessories.

You could put a camp bag of 70-100 liters on the meat shelf and conceivably have as much room as you could haul. I am not sure how you pack your gear but I couldn't do it with just the woodsman for 10 days.

OP
freebird134
I'm confused guys. What's your concern with the Woodsman?

If I set it up like I said, I'll have more cubic inches than I've used in the past. Volume shouldn't be a problem, or am I missing something?

dotman

WKR
Well you'll be limited in how you can use some of the volume due to size limits (6k in a woodsman/acc setup will not equal 6k in a larger bag as some of your ci will be limited to what fits in each separate item), you'll spend more in the end getting the woodsman and accessories setup when a Reckoning will compress down to as small as you want for day hunting. Also I bet in the end the woodsman acc option weighs more, is more complicated to organize and setup.

But really only you can decide if you are ok with strapping a bunch to the pack. It is possible but it's also possible to use a 2k ci pack with a bunch of accessories strapped to it for 10 days. So it will work based on your additions.

Why does the woodsman stick out to you so much that you would even want to use it for a 10 day hunt? Why would you prefer it over the reckoning?

Last edited:
I've been down the road of the smaller bag with 47 things attached to the outside. (Think Sanford & Son for those old enough to remember). It's definitely possible but will weigh more, cost more, and you'll spend a lot of time and energy getting things packed just right to fit into the accessories you buy.

I moved into a bigger bag (AMR) and it weighs less, costs less, and is much easier to load without over scrutinizing perfect gear placement.

Only you can decide what's a better fit for you and your gear. Be sure to post pics when you get it figured out.

molon labe, mrbill

OP
freebird134
Well you'll be limited in how you can use some of the volume due to size limits (6k in a woodsman/acc setup will not equal 6k in a larger bag as some of your ci will be limited to what fits in each separate item)

That's a good point! Thanks.

Why does the woodsman stick out to you so much that you would even want to use it for a 10 day hunt? Why would you prefer it over the reckoning?

Two things really. The smaller size makes it more versatile for shorter trips when I don't want a giant bag.

Second, I don't think I like the built in, open style side pockets. I'd rather be able to add a zippered side pocket (I think).

Since the only real difference in my gear between 5 days and a 10 day trip is food, it's really about having spots to store extra food.

At the risk of a really terrible pun, your comments are good food for thought

dotman

WKR
Checkout the Mountain Warrior you could add two spotter pockets on the sides and a guide lid. I can fit plenty in it but in day hunt mode you don't have to undo any straps to access the inside of the bag and the back pocket. I pack all my commonly used stuff in the back pocket, belt pocket and lid.

Yeah food is the only diff for me as well but my gear packs down pretty small.

Hall256

WKR
That's a good point! Thanks.

Two things really. The smaller size makes it more versatile for shorter trips when I don't want a giant bag.

Second, I don't think I like the built in, open style side pockets. I'd rather be able to add a zippered side pocket (I think).

Since the only real difference in my gear between 5 days and a 10 day trip is food, it's really about having spots to store extra food.

At the risk of a really terrible pun, your comments are good food for thought

I thought the Reckoning was going to be big, and it is, but is by no means a giant pack. As others have mentioned, and I can attest to, the Reckoning compresses down rather small. When it is time to pack for the trip, it's large enough that if so desired I could just through my whole set up in there without much thought (too OCD when packing to do that, but it could be done). It sounds like you have experience in making it work, but I would just offer to not dismiss the Reckoning without a lot of thought.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Felix40

WKR
I feel like the woodsman is plenty of pack if you add two long pockets on the sides, a lid with storage, and strap something to the bottom. It will be the pack i buy if i ever win the lottery. Ill stick with my highcamp until then though.

OP
freebird134
I feel like the woodsman is plenty of pack if you add two long pockets on the sides, a lid with storage, and strap something to the bottom. It will be the pack i buy if i ever win the lottery. Ill stick with my highcamp until then though.

I don't blame you at all! I briefly owned a high camp and thought it was a fantastic bag for my purposes.

The other thing that keeps sticking in my mind is the "meat shelf" of the woodsman. I think I could store some heavy hear, like my food, close to my back if needed.

OP
freebird134
^^^^this.

Thanks for your post.

I'm curious, why couldn't you do it with the woodsman?

I know how I pack, and I need 6-6.5K cubic inches for ~10 days. If a woodsman, guide lid, pod, and a few pockets get me north of 7,000, where's the issue?

I'm asking for real criticism. What am I missing? What issues will I run into? Dotman made a great point (as usual) that the distribution of the space isn't the same. I think I'm ok with that..,so where else does a woodsman fall short?

We've had no prob with a 7 day trip and an Eberlestock blue widow (4700ci) or badlands 4500.

However, I'm inexperienced with PODS and side pockets, and other kifaru details. I have a duplex frame and guide lid.....I don't understand why a woodsman + some extras wouldn't work like a champ.

dotman

WKR
I completely forgot about the load shelf on the Woodsman. Now I don't like a load shelf but that is me but that said, if you put your food there then you should have plenty of room.

I can tell you really want it so my suggestion is get it, there is a 30 day return policy, so test it out plenty in the living room and see if what you're thinking actually will work even though not quite the same as in the field but it'll give you a good idea. You may not even need a pod if food is between the frame. I would just use an OR 35L dry bag between the frame and bag.

Oh yeah, I had a Nomad, my least favorite pack I've had from Kifaru.

OP
freebird134
I can tell you really want it so my suggestion is get it, there is a 30 day return policy, so test it out plenty in the living room and see if what you're thinking actually will work even though not quite the same as in the field but it'll give you a good idea. .

1. Yes I wanted your opinion. You may not know it, but I consider your comments among the most useful on these forums (despite that crap minox you indirectly got me to buy a few years ago...)

2. 30 day rerun policy??? I didn't know that existed!! I assumed I could resell anything I didn't like, but return is better!

3. Back to #1.....always helpful!

dotman

WKR
Haha, that minox is great for the price :) but glad I could help.

Yup Kifaru has always had a 30 day return policy.